Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Oakley Transition Lenses
  • jlc
    Free Member

Looking at buying a pair of Oakley sunglasses and thinking the transitions lenses maybe a good choice? Anyone used them and rated them (which ones were they)? Or is it best just to buy replacement lenses and swap them depending on conditions?
    Also in terms of the transition and normal lenses, any recommendation for ones that are good for mountain/road cycling.

Any help would be much appreciated.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Half Jacket transitions.

I rarely notice the lens which probably shows it does a good job of matching conditions.

I think my lens is the G20. It’s a brown shade anyway. Avoid getting a lens that is too dark.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have the G40 transitions in some flak jackets. Awesome. They don’t get dark enough if you’re in full sun, but if you are zipping in and out of woods and conditions are the usual overcast/changeable they’re terrific. Colour profile for mud brown and vegitation green is terrific. Amazingly high contrast and definition compared to my old M frames.

If I’m on the road in sunny conditions, I wear something darker and ‘straight’.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love em. They are dark enough for me in full sun (there are also two lenses, one of which goes slightly darker than the other). Some folk have complained they don’t change quickly enough but I don’t understand that – they change a lot faster than non-transition lenses!

They seem to change about the same rate as my eyes, so you really never notice it. The only reason I know they work at all is cos one time I put them down on the grass and when I picked them up I had a cool blades of grass pattern burned onto them – for about a minute 🙂

Would only ever have two lenses now – transitions, and clear for nights or dark evenings.

clubber
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can get them in radar lenses?

FuzzyWuzzy

You can but not as after-market spares (brilliant idea eh?), after I complained Oakley did end up offering to sell me a lens from their warranty spares stock but wanted £110 + £10 P&P. In the end I bought some RP Rydon’s instead with their transition lens and they’re great (same price as just a lens for the Radar’s would have been), not as good lens coverage as the Radar’s but the optics are good and they go clear enough I’ve used them on night rides.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah.. YES, but they are hard to find. When I looked they were listed as ‘photochromic’, and not under the brand name ‘transitions’. So many shop people I asked looked up transitions and said no.

http://uk.oakley.com/pd/5714

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Transition Lenses’ is closed to new replies.