• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by emsz.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oak Furniture
  • jlc
    Free Member

I am looking to buy some decent solid oak furniture. Just wanting some wardrobes, chest of drawers etc in a plain/basic non-nonsense design. Ideally from a decent company/manufacturer who has been round a few years so that I can add to the collection at a later date if needs be. Obviously want the furniture to last a long time to make the investment worthwhile.

Any help would be much appreciated.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you completely incapable of doing your own shopping?

jlc
    Free Member

Just after a few recommendations thats all. Thought it was worth asking.

Cletus

I am considering buying some stuff from the Rustic range at

http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/

Went to one of their showrooms and the furniture seemed to be of good quality.

Need to see how much money is left after replacing windows and decorating before I can buy though.

finbar
    Free Member

Do you need a dining table and chairs? I’ve got a large French oak dining table (2.16m long * 0.85cm wide) and 6 chairs i’m looking to sell.

It’s in Derbyshire by the way.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I can highly recommend these guys – I have bought several solid oak (and other solid wood) pieces from them over the years – I bought most of mine when they were trading on Ebay as Container Clearance Company but they are the same set-up (or so I believe). I bought a sideboard from them last year as this new company.

http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk

Things can take a while to be delivered but they always keep you well informed and have good customer service – when one piece was faulty (doors sticking badly) they had someone come out and repair it for me on site.

Items such as these (children not included).

theflatboy
    Free Member

finbar – how much?

geoffj

molgrips – Member

Are you completely incapable of doing your own shopping?

Oh the ironing boards!

GrahamS

I like your Child Box mastiles. Does it come with a locking lid? 🙂

Crell
    Free Member

How can they tout those images using child labour…despicable!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like your Child Box mastiles. Does it come with a locking lid?

Very tempted at times to fit one. And sound-proof it too.

BigJohn

I’ve designed and sold fitted bedrooms for Hammonds and Betta Bedrooms for several years and I still can’t understand why their prices are so high! Maybe it’s because seemingly normal people are prepared to pay on average £3000 for some MDF or chipboard covered in vinyl. There’s nothing inherently wrong with them, and I know all of my hundreds of customers were and are satisfied but I wouldn’t have them myself. Solid wood is the only right way.

Even some expensive oak veneers are reconstituted from wood pulp.

But I can’t help the OP – I’ve no idea where you can get good solid furniture from. I’d start with a local quality timber merchant and see if there’s an old bloke they know who can make some for you.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OP – all the stuff in my pics is solid wood, no veneers. I also bought a bedroom set in solid oak (shaker style) but have no pics and can’t remember where I got it from (some shop near Buxton IIRC).

finbar
    Free Member

finbar – how much?

My mum bought the table and chairs from Hepworths in Nottingham about 15 years ago. The table cost £1.9k and the chairs were about £350 each (!). I’d like to recoup a grand-ish for the lot. Mail in profile if you are interested.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Finbar – You are not going to like this but I actually bought a table and 6 chairs which aside from the embellishment on the back of the chairs being slightly different are pretty much identical. Got them for £35 on ebay, bargain of a lifetime.

When I wanted to buy proper oak bedroom furniture, I found that antique warehouse style places have loads of good things hidden away. Do a tour of your local area and I am sure you will find something.

z1ppy

Unfortunately finbar, if you do your ebay research you going to be hugely disappointed. Your set is kinda what we fancy (though maybe something foldable for us) but are holding out for that elusive ebay bargain & that no were near a grand not even £500

finbar
    Free Member

Brutal. That’s some depreciation. Thanks for the advice anyway.

stumpy01

http://www.pinesolutions.co.uk/oak-furniture/

I know they are called pine solutions but they do plenty of oak stuff. We’ve had chest of drawers from them before & more recently a hefty dining table & 6 chairs.

They are good quality items, solid & customer service has always been good.

emsz
    Free Member

Molly being ironic.

Aren’t you? 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oak Furniture’ is closed to new replies.