Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • NYC – JFK or EWR? Queuemageddon?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Need to go to NYC and haven’t done so for a few years now, so would appreciate any thoughts from the HiveMind on airport choice. I’ve always used JFK before.

Knowing that both are American airports, and therefore expectations are set appropriately low, is there any difference in immigration queues? Has anyone been through one, or hopefully both, recently?

Also, transfers from EWR to Manhattan? Any easier/better than the JFK PsychoTaxis?

dantsw13

EWR – less flight options, but much easier to get in/out/through. I think you can get a direct train to downtown Manhattan. It’s actually closer by road too, and the traffic is certainly easier.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ta. Will have a look. 78s to EWR as well, I think.

I’d ask you about immigration queues, but you cheat!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I queued for about 5 minutes at EWR when I flew in 15 months ago, no idea if that was luck or the norm. Flying in again on Sunday so can report back if you have not booked by then.
    Both times connecting on to Miami, so can’t help on transfers into town from there.

jam-bo

short flight to dublin, pre-clear US immigration.

edit: might not make sense if your already close to heathrow but given for me it’s quicker to get a local flight to dublin than heathrow it makes sense.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Go via Dublin/Shannon* with AerLingus and clear immigration there. You effectively land as a local.

*Don’t go via Shannon, it was a great airport in its hey-day but is pretty bleak these days.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Went via EWR Nov 2015. No queues for immigration. Bus $17 to Manhattan

tonyg2003

I flew into JFK and EWR plenty last year and the queues were slightly slower at JFK but not too bad (which reminds me I need to get my Global Trusted Traveller finalised) at either using the electronic entry machines and the transfer to Manhattan is shorter from EWR usually. I’d go EWR personally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Re Aer Lingus, I always prefer a single direct flight if possible. Also, 757s? Really? 😉

Looks like EWR might be the better option. Thanks again.

-m-
    Free Member

Don’t overlook the benefit on the way back from JFK of turn-up-early-and-ask-nicely-to-get-on-an-earlier-flight if you’re flying on BA. The frequency of JFK-LHR is a big advantage in the evening.

Inbound clearance delays at both are largely a function of how big the plane is that arrives just before you!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, I thought the whole Aer Lingus thing would be beneath you. If I was being bussed around the place doing my bosses’ bidding, I’d probably worry about the same stuff. 🙂

Always wondered actually, why doesn’t LHR or LGW have a pre-immigration thing like Dublin and Shannon?

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’ll obviously need to factor in the time it’s gonna take for them to scan and x-ray those shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^Amazed it took that long!^^

Agree on the clearance at LHR, DD. Would be excellent. I suspect it’s a volume issue, though. The sheer number of UK to US flights every day from LHR is scary.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Been busy….. these shit jokes ain’t gonna tell themselves y’know. 😉

Edit: In future, to save time, i’ll just post a single word, “Shoes” and you can make up your own joke.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bus $17 to Manhattan

You know who the OP is, right?

That’s what the TSA officer said…etc etc

scuttler

Aer Fungus?? Worrabout BA001 (sacrilege that they used Concorde’s flight # but hey-ho).

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-classes/business/club-world-london-city
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/travel/73442/british-airways-club-world-london-city-to-new-york-review.html

Big seats, London departure, pre-clearance, Concorde prices.

[Smallprint] Only it stops in Shannon for petrol and pre-clearance WTAF.

Personally never had issues with Newark queues for the few times I went about 10 years ago.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worrabout BA001 (sacrilege that they used Concorde’s flight # but hey-ho).

Getting to LCY is a ballache, and it’s a stupidly overpriced flight(IMHO).

scuttler

Getting to LCY is a ballache

Sorry – Misapprehension that you were at the centre of the universe [smiley thingie that breaks bbcode…]

Jet2 are doing xmas 2017 flights “To The Fabulous Big Apple” from Leeds Bradford starting in October if you can wait that long – Newark if that helps – must be cheaper landing fees. “Stepping out in New York is like stepping onto your very own film set and it’s the Statue of Liberty that takes the starring role.” – sooooo enticing!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jet2….Leeds Bradford

Erm…

Thanks, but….. (Smilies no worky!)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Misapprehension that you were at the centre of the universe

Are you forgetting who the OP is?

Obviously the centre of the universe is wherever Flashy happens to be at the time.

(because of the colossal gravitational field generated by his orthopaedic footwear)

Jamie
    Free Member

@perchy

Copy the space between the ‘ to use instead of .

‘ ? ‘

For example:
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Etc*
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    *New forum coming 2013.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I like the dots. . . . . . They build tension and drive the OCD brigade crazy if you don’t space ’em evenly 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘NYC – JFK or EWR? Queuemageddon?’ is closed to new replies.