Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Numpty question – turbo trainer
  • kevj
    Free Member

I’ve had a turbo trainer for about a year now and have never set it up yet. Due to an ongoing cold, I want to use this to train lightly until my chest clears up and in a slightly warmer environment (garage).

Anyway, I have an old ht frame and enough parts to set this up as a dedicated training bike.

So my question is, do a need gearing or can I set it up as a fixie and use the turbo resistance to suit intensity? Obviously geared would be better, but would non-geared be ok to get me away?

tinribz
    Free Member

If it was the right gear, and you only wanted to train for riding a fixie on an infinitely long flat road.

Actually, I do sometimes stick to one except for harder sessions when you feel like lightening up near the end, or doing pyramids. It will restrict you.

swiss01
    Free Member

if you can change the resistance while you’re going it won;t make a deal of difference. if not, you’ll be wanting gears

kevj
    Free Member

Tinribz, cheers. Until I shift his cold, I’m not wanting to train too intensely anyway. I have a few hours to spare and plan to set up the bike this afternoon.
    Once built up, I’ll know what bits are missing to complete the build with gears.

Cheers for the replies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Numpty question – turbo trainer’ is closed to new replies.