Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Numpty Outlook question
  • cudubh

Just bought a replacement laptop. The old one has a ton of stuff in Outlook that we don’t want to lose. Is there a way to move it across easily? Its probably obvious just by asking this question that IT related things are not my strong point.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you need to transfer your outlook.pst file

search for it on you C: drive then simply copy and paste

this will not transfer your account settings though IIRC.

there are various ways of doing it using wizards, you’ll probably find loads of info on the MS help forums

oddjob
    Free Member

If you are connecting to the same mail server then you should get it all in the new computer as well

cudubh

The webmail for the googlemail address is all there obviously but we have some other stuff for another address which is downloaded to the laptop. I’ll try as Michael suggets. Thank you.

leffeboy

If you can’t find the .pst file then Start/ControlPanel/Mail (XP/Vista) is the quick way to find it and also to change it on the new machine.

DezB
    Free Member

Outlook also stores mail in .ost files (offline store), so back those up too. .psts are only the data you’ve saved manually (or archived).

Cougar

Within Outlook, right-clicking the Inbox (or possibly the mailbox root, can’t remember offhand) and picking Properties will tell you the real path to the PST, iirc.

Do you mean Outlook, or Outlook Express?

Cougar

Oh, brainfart. You can go “File / Import and Export” from full Outlook. Export to a PST and then Import on the new lappy. Simples.

takisawa2

As above. “Export to a .pst file”.
    Not sure if the ordinary Outlook Express is the same, but thats what I do at work with the Outlook email program we have.
    You can then “Open a pst file” & browse to it in your new Outlook.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Numpty Outlook question’ is closed to new replies.