Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Numpty HTC desire questions!
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Firstly, I want a bigger SD card to store music on, where do you recommend I buy one from and how much are they? I don’t know what size I would need my 8GB i pod is full, but maybe I’d only need 16GB?? Do you just buy it and shove it in the phone, will it all automatically save to the SD card?

Secondly, if I got on hols to France and surf internet and use wifi it’s free? But if I surfed on my mobile internet I’ll get ripped off is this right? Mr MC says it is but I’m too scared about coming back with whopping bill (not that I don’t believe you Mr MC just need a 2nd opinion :oops:)

Cougar

It depends how you transfer files – it’ll store to wherever to save stuff. /sdcard is the SD card (oddly enough). I’ve got an 8Gb card and it’s fine, though I don’t attempt to carry around every album I’ve ever owned ever, just sling a couple on there at time.

Did it not come with an 8Gb card? I thought they all did.

If you’re running Android 2.2 (and if not, why not) you can get app2SD from the market which will allow you to shift (some) applications to the SD to give you more room on the phone itself.

WiFi should be free – from the point of view of the phone it is, but it depends if the WiFi provider wants to charge you (hotels are good at this). Roaming data (ie, the Internet over the phone network abroad) will be terrifically expensive, don’t do it.

PrinceJohn

Yes basically that’s the deal. If you do buy a SD card make sure its a decent one, cheap ones are slower to read & can slow down the phone.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you go to ADD WIDGET

Settings>
    “Mobile Network”

It will put a touch switch on your desktop that allows you to stop the phone using the mobile network for data transfer.

If you want cheaper data roaming and you’re spending a fair bit of time abroad or you need data roaming for work I recommend getting an unlocked 3 MiFi wireless dongle. You can shove a local prepaid data sim (can get them in supermarkets in france etc) into the MiFi and then turn it into a local wifi hotspot for you (or hubby/missus)

there’s unlock instructions online. I got mine on eBay s/h already unlocked.

Failing that, if you’r eon O2 you can pre-purchase blocks of data for far far far less than the cost of roaming data. Something like £1 a MB, as opposed to upto £5+ for roaming.

DickBarton

If you have a wifi connection and you are connected to the router then your surfing should be free – providing you are connected through your wifi and connected then you won’t be charged on your phone bill.

My Desire came with a 4Gb card and I’ve yet to swap it out for the 8Gb I had – 8Gb has some stuff on it and I’m too lazy to shift it (but also assume the SDcard will then need formatted and the folders and stuff moved across to it?).

Music – if your ipod is full, where did the music come from? If all bought from the Itunes store it might not all play on your phone (unless you can authorise it to play DRM’d music?) – if the music is in a suitable file format, then it should play it all without any probs – but as Cougar has mentioned – do you want to cart around every piece of music you have ever downloaded/put on your Itunes system?

SDCard – make sure it is a class 4 as anything lower i.e. class 2 will be slower for read/write access and your phone is likely to appear to slow down while it accessing the card.

Get a bigger SDcard to be safe – I don’t think there is a limit to filesize (but it may not work above 16Gb – which I think is an android thing rather than HTC thing) – this last paragraph I’m not 100% sure of – it could be complete gibberish.

crikey
    Free Member

Buy a card from a proper shop, preferably a phone shop; you’ll pay more, but will avoid any is-it-a-real-one hassles.

To use the new card, just copy everything from your current card to your PC, then copy it all to the new card; this preserves all your files and folders, just gives you more space.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay my HTC didn’t come with an SD card, I think it’s 4GB (maybe even 2gb) that’s in it now. But I have hardly anything on it and it’s often saying “it’s full”. I’ve gone through any apps I’ve downloaded to make sure they are on SD card. I don’t mind not carrying all my music around so I did think about 8GB, but I just wondered how much space the various apps/games take (I’m a complete techno muppet, do you get that impression).
    Most of my music is from CD’s downloaded onto i-tunes which I just dragged and dropped into my phone file and it seemed to work! I was surprised at that too.

Where do people recommend to buy an 8GB SD card from then? What doI know if I’m running Android 2.2? this week it asked me to do an update (thta was what I had to delete a load of apps to get the space to do)?
    Stoner I have he mobile network as a widget on the front and I only turn it on when I need it (if not in wi-fi free area!). Thanks for that

Crikey, I have no idea how to do this “saving” evrything onto the PC and back. I haven’t even synced it with stuff on the comptuer as I have no idea how! Argh I should’ve just stayed with my text and call rubbish 10 yr old Nokia ….. although I do love this phone.

Can anyone tell me any other handy things then I mabybe should know but obviously don’t!!!

Stoner
    Free Member
    crikey
    Free Member

Oooohhh I’m getting a bit drunk for this…

Make a New Folder on your Desktop, call it Card.

Use the cable that came with your phone, the USB at one end thing?

Plug it into the PC.

The phone should ask you what you would like it to be; choose the disk drive option on the phone screen.

It might ask you if you want to scan the disk and fix any problems; ignore this.

You should then get a removable disk F or G or something box on the PC.

Go to ‘open the folder to view files’.

Go to EDIT at the top.

Select all.

Copy.

Open folder Card, copy the stuff there.

Disconnect the phone from the PC.

Put new card in the phone.

Reconnect the phone to the PC as above.

When you open the new card as a disk drive on the PC, select and copy the contents of Card to the new folder that you’ve just opened.

i hope that works!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OO Crikey see i need more input like that! can you keep the advice coming (more for comedy value!!) I shall have to try it this weekend. wow £11 sounds a bargain I thought it would be a lot more than that. Any other numpty advice. cheers guys this is what STW is about!

crikey
    Free Member

While you have the phone connected to the PC, have a little explore; you should be able to look at any pictures that you have stored on the SD card, and delete them if they are at all incriminating… …and you can add or delete music by looking at the music on your PC and dragging and dropping it into the music folder on the phone SD card.

There’s lots you can do; basically the phone is like another little computer that you can connect to your PC.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

that’s my problem I think Crikey .. rubbish on computers too! Women and technology pah I say 🙄

andy_hamgreen

how about this ?

htc desire how to

just got a Desire too……

Cougar

it may not work above 16Gb

I -think- the Desire can take up to 32Gb. Don’t quote me on that though.

I have hardly anything on it and it’s often saying “it’s full”

Is it the card or the phone that’s full? The internal disk is pitifully small, it’s the weak link on the Desire. You need to App2SD as much as you can (and there’s hacks to move non-native App2SD apps – see the Desire forum on androidforums.com – it’s not for the faint-hearted though.)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Numpty HTC desire questions!’ is closed to new replies.