Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Numb Willy?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

After about 10 miles or so on road rides I seem to lose the feeling in the lil chap.

Its enough insult cladding him in lycra but it worries me when theres no blood going there.

Anyone been there and know the solution, my bums always comfy on the rides (just did 35 miles today very happily bar numbing)

Maybe some fine tuning of saddle angle or new saddle?

Anyone got wisdom!?

sofatester
    Free Member

Just take it. I've been riding for years and a bit of numb willy never did me any harm.

Makes post ride waving some what tricky though 😉

tops5
    Free Member

I get it now and then – the pins and needles stage after numbness is quite nice 🙂

nickhart
    Free Member

don't just take it!
    koobi used to do a great set of saddles with a slot down the middle which alleviated the problem. having said that i get on really well with the ibeam saddles and haven't suffered on either. it's a blood flow problem so lets think about just leaving it, would you leave it if you fingers went numb? doubt it.

alexxx
    Free Member

yeah windmilling passers by doesnt have the same effect if he aint feeling attached.

Cant be healthy though can it?

alexxx
    Free Member

Im going to have a fettle with my saddle, I'll report back tomorrow, feel free to continue discussing!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Tip the saddle down very slightly …..it helped me

sofatester
    Free Member

it's a blood flow problem so lets think about just leaving it, would you leave it if you fingers went numb? doubt it.

Relax dear 😆

Hadge
    Free Member

Happens to me every now and then but I get the missus kiss it better

I'll get my coat……..

alexxx
    Free Member

get a "to" whilst your there 🙂

myheadsashed

Stop slamming it in the living room door before rides you pervert 😐

1x viagara + 2x ecstasy sorts it for me.

grantmitchell
    Free Member

no numbness, but leaning forward and rhythmic pedalling on long climbs gives me coachman's lob

slimtubing
    Free Member

the worst is a combo of numbness mixed with extreme wet/cold + bitights;
    trying to find a shrunken numb pizzle while desperate for a wee without completely undressing.

MoreCashThanDash

"coachman's lob "

Eh?

Hairychested
    Free Member

You need some young nurse to check it out twice a week.

ivantate
    Free Member

I got a Specialized BG seat to help with this and it hasn't.

Only seems to happen since I shortened the stem and put more weight vertically on the saddle. Also only road rides as the you are sat all the time.
    My hardtail is set up a bit longer and although gives my *rse a royal pummelling I dont get any numbness.

Try standing up and pedalling for 30 seconds every 10 minutes.

also,
    If you want kids and havent got them, you best get on with it before all the little fishes die of oxygen starvation.

j_me
    Free Member

UR = gros !!

spacemonkey

Lower the saddle at the front.

nickc

Hate to state the bleedin' obvious here, but riding long distances with a numb cock isn't a great plan in the long run (like you hadn't already guessed) move or change your saddle pronto.

bigant

if you rub it afterwards does stuff come out?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

swadey – Member
    "coachman's lob "

Eh?

I would imagine the same as convoy cock.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

What we're really discussing here is bike fit and set-up. Whilst there are several 'gold standard' positions for bike set up, the trick is adapting those to suit your anatomy, dimensions and riding requirements as required.

Regarding your specific problem, I'd suggest you look at your set up as a whole, taking into account handlebar height, saddle height, saddle position fore/aft, seat angle and possibly even cleat position as-well. I'd also check to see if you're riding a saddle that's wide enough for you (and no, that's not a posh way of saying you have a fat arse!)

Something to aim at: Don't sit on the squishy bits. These are not designed to be sat on. Imagine sitting on a table with your legs dangling over the table edge, you should be able to feet a couple of bony protrusions at the bottom of your pelvis taking your weight. When you set up your saddle, you should be aiming to make sure you sit on those bits, not the squishy bits! If your saddle is too narrow to allow you to sit on these, it's time to get a wider saddle. A couple of years ago specialized sent out what ammounted to a bit of memory foam on a board, the idea being that you sat on it, and could then see roughly how wide your arse was and you could then select an appropriate saddle, I'm not sure if these things are still around tho.

As a general rule with road bikes, I'd be inclined to start with the saddle completely level and then tilt it back slightly as a first adjustment. I know that this sounds counter-intuitive, and without seeing you on your bike there's only so much advice can be given, but the idea with this is that it rotates the pelvis back slighly, thus alleviating pressure on the squishy bits.

Hope the above is of some help.

DT78
    Free Member

I'm amazed no one has mentioned, but a great tip is to turn you saddle/post a couple of degrees off centre in the opposite direction to where you 'hang'. Works for me.

devs
    Free Member

I get it on one bike on long seated climbs. Standing up more often or changing the saddle/angle should help. It's a weird feeling innit?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    I'm amazed no one has mentioned, but a great tip is to turn you saddle/post a couple of degrees off centre in the opposite direction to where you 'hang'. Works for me.

I can't think of anything less comfortable.

DT78
    Free Member

I can't think of anything less comfortable

It definitely works for me, it was a tip from a guy who is pretty experienced and does professional bike fitting. Everyone is different though.

MrOvershoot

grantmitchell – Member

no numbness, but leaning forward and rhythmic pedalling on long climbs gives me coachman's lob
    I wondered how long it would be before you contributed to this thread 😉

Its one of your classic quotes at the top of a long climb in the Clwyds "Does anyone else get a semi on these long climbs" 😐

_tom_
    Free Member

Standing up every few miles does the job for me. I used to get it a lot but the aforementioned combined with a proper fitting saddle (Specialized BG Avatar) seems to do the trick.

It is a horrible feeling.

Cougar

specialized sent out what ammounted to a bit of memory foam on a board,

A chunk of corrugated cardboard works just as well; the sight of Cougar sitting in the attack position on the corner of the coffee table prompted a "what are you doing?!" from the OH, however.

whoosh75
    Free Member

I was getting that when riding my old SDG saddle. Try one of the WTB saddles with a "lovegroove" I got a rocket V with Ti rails for a good price at CRC a while ago. Works for me 🙂

It seems that SDG have a rounded profile so your bum sits over the saddle sides more & WTB have more a cupped profile which squidges your bum on top of the saddle more…if that makes sense! I suppose they both suit different body types, I prefer WTB

project
    Free Member

The technical term is Penile Numbness and it can cause you serious problem, even gangrene.

Do you fold over or lie to the side, lieing to the side works better,but is a bit embarasing when you get off the bike.

Are your shorts that bit to tight, and causing circulation problems,as above or is there some other thing having an effect like a cock ring etc.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

do you not feel a dick ? 😛

alexxx
    Free Member

tucked forwards, none of the "oh arro ladies"
    not had a chance to scoot out yet, saddle position is moved so we shall see
    thanks for all the advice!

BigDummy
    Free Member

"coachman's lob "

I would imagine the same as convoy cock

You mean dairyman's joy?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Try a different saddle or a different saddle position, when ig goes away you've got it right for you

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Check ride posture, fit and also find a saddle to take the weight on your sit bones not your perineal region.

If you are single, don't want kids or sex life then carry on with standard setup.

You're just on that road towards to perfect fit and comfort via leanring what works and most cyclists gop through and learn what they need for life.

Or just pay for a road fitting.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Numb Willy?’ is closed to new replies.