Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Nothing quite like a solo night ride….
  • Pook

…to get the mind racing. All the way round Sherwood Pines tonight the Blair Witch was just behind me. I don't know how she managed to keep up all the way round!
    Cracking riding though. One off on one of the stupid off camber corners though, nothing to do with the lights.
    I was lucky enough to spot the deer as well. Up ahead I though three riders had crossed the path ahead of me, but when I got to the crossing point, there was no other path. Over to the left I could hear the deer crunching through the undergrowth and caught their eyes in my lights.

Great riding. Played a bit of relay with a couple of other riders too. Hope they got the puncture fixed before the blair witch got them…

will
    Free Member

Know what you mean Pook, went for a run in the woods tonight and was sure that the blair witch was after me!

1 lap of Kitchner?

Pook

yeah just the one. Fancied some fish and chips so came home

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

lived near Philadelphia and used to solo night ride in the appalachians most evenings (too hot for me in the summer out there). Very eery and atmospheric with just a 15w helmet mount, and loads of wildlife. Possibly one of the reasons I was so impressed with Blair Witch when many (non riding) mates thought it was crap – having night ridden in essentially the same woods I could empathise with that sense of rising panic.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I find it's just like riding during the day only its dark.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I find some people have a limited imagination. 🙄 Where I rode if there was no moon then if and when my battery died I could barely see my hand in front of my face, and I was miles from anywhere on my own in thick hazard-strewn forest. For some reason that added a frissant to the ride. I didn't geniunely think a deer/skunk/groundhog/wild turkey would savage me, but that snapping twig could have been armed redneck militia tracking me through the woods (which, on one day ride, it was).

In a thread about light choice (and minimalistic vs floodlit) someone summed the choice/attitude up succinctly as some people night ride, some people ride at night. I'm in the minimalistic light, atmospheric night ride camp. the OP obviously also got more out of their ride than just a day ride, but dark.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Nothing quite like a solo night ride….’ is closed to new replies.