• This topic has 187 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 188 total)
  • Any reluctants Dads on here? Experiences when you had your first born
  • hora
    Free Member

Wonder what he/she will look like (half Chinese)

binners

same haircut and weight problem as you

nbt

Oh yes, sorry forgot that bit – congratulations Hora. It's a big thing to happen but it's for the best.

hora
    Free Member

Binners you typed 'chinese hora' into google didnt you? 🙄

yossarian
    Free Member

My friend's little boy is half chinese and is very cute looking. The other one is my youngest – 1 year old on sunday 🙂

Sandwich

The rules of baby care change as they come along.
    Child 1 has all equipment sterilised and cleaned before junior gets it.
    Child 2 gets a dropped toy/dummy rinsed and handed back
    Child 3 gets it licked clean by a parent and handed back
    Child 4 the item gets returned after the dog has licked it.

binners

I can't bloody wait to see you after a few weeks of zero sleep. You make little enough sense at the best of times 🙂

woody2000

I know a malaysian/white couple who's kids are really cute. They are both moderately good looking though……..:-)

wors
    ton

hora, do you a deal………………..
    your orange, for my pram, cradle, bouncing chair and milton cleaning set……….. 😉

hora
    Free Member

ton. That was my last extravagance.

I'm going to be selling as much stuff as possible now- no more Chameleon/stuff etc etc etc 🙁

binners

Don't forget your first port of call when flogging stuff Hora. I'll do you a deal on lending you my kids, so you get used to things 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Is this a Gruffalo…

or just a troll?

hora
    Free Member

HTS. I BLOODY wish. Too late to turn back the time. No chance of a refund/return. No way back. Feels vaguely like the roller coaster is waiting for the last people to get on before the off

binners- no. You can have my dog instead. Your youngest likes bingo!

wors

Hora enjoy it, it's bloody hard work, but very rewarding!

Junkyard
    Free Member

HORA – they are humouring you

THE TRUTH
    They deprive you of everything you hold dear like freedom ,time, hobbies, a [sex]life and money.
    They constantly demand your time and affection and reward you with strops mood swings and urine soaked furniture.
    They are a barrier to any kind of relationship with your partner or indeed friends as apparently iirc you can’t leave them unattended ever an as you do nothing else but spend time with them you have no other conversation topics.
    If you try to support the mother with the task of looking after the baby she will hear the words “ are you saying I can’t cope ?” an argument will ensue in the morning you will both be so tired you knew you argued but not what about. Despite this it will still be your fault.
    The children will initially hang on your every word as youngsters and then slowly bleed you dry of all your self respect and every penny you have (whilst belittling you for being old/out of touch/stupid)before disappearing at 18 into some sort of drug /drink fuelled oblivion that does not involve you till they require bail from prison, protection from their pimp or a character reference in court

Enjoy.

Harry_the_Spider

Not a troll?

In that case.

nuke

Silly old Harry! Doesn't he know, there's no such thing as a Gruffalo? 😉

EvoStick
    Free Member

Money won't be such an issue – what you're spending on nappies, prams, clothes etc – you won't be spending on pints, films and eating out.

Harry_the_Spider

"A Gruffalo, what's a Gruffalo? "

"A Gruffalo, why didn't you know? He has terrible tusks and terrible claws and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws."

The BBC are doing an animated verion for Christmas. It'll be great, the Gruffalo rocks. The mouse is a bit of a cocky #### though.

Hora can record it and watch it when he has a spare half hour… in 2012.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

what you're spending on nappies, prams, clothes etc – you won't be spending on pints, films and eating out.

I agree – I have hardly touched my bank account in 6 weeks as I haven't been out since. Just spent a little on sweets (for the much-needed sugar-rush).

hora
    Free Member

Money won't be such an issue – what you're spending on nappies, prams, clothes etc

No I am going to be green **** tight. I know things like buggies can be soiled/unhygenic but other items can be reused/shared between friends. After all, a kid might only wear a certain top for <6months so there is plenty of use left in them arent they? Its only 'icky' if its from an unknown source IMO.

Drac

Congratulations, perfectly natural to be shocked and don't worry about the money you do get some help, although doesn't take a huge wage to knock it down. Also on your first you will find family buying you loads of stuff.

To think the times you posted you never going to have children, so unlike you to change your mind. Just remember you can't change your kids every few weeks.

AdamM
    Free Member

don't worry about the money you do get some help

Ha! Given the amount Hora spent on bikes I seriously doubt that he qualifies for financial aid of any kind from the government. In fact, I'm surprised anyone on more than minimum wage does.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah – we haven't spent much on stuff yet – I reckon £1.2k tops (on two)

Pushchair system from mother/father in law

Cots from my mum

Loads of clothes from all over.

We had just the car seats as a major purchase, then bedding, boring everyday clothes etc.

We also were given lots and lots of s/h clothes from friends and borrowed things like Moses baskets.

Harry_the_Spider

oh, and if you have a boy he will piss in your face at some point during a nappy change.

Enjoy.

takisawa2

Get a Phil & Ted now to save money when the second comes along.
    Dont get suckered into buying anything from Bugaboo, overpriced WAG baby gear.
    Can recomend an AngelCare Monitor for peace of mind.
    Oh, & if the mum is a bit older a Nuchal Fold Scan is a good move, especially if they show you in 4D. Amazing.

And a new car with Isofix mounts.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get a Phil & Ted now to save money when the second comes along.

So the one underneath can stare at nothing but the back of another chair all day 😉

I really don't like the P&T as a double.

We got one of these…

Which is, of course, useless as a single though…

hora
    Free Member

Drac after almost 18yrs of alcohol-fueled life, overweight and bike saddles I didnt think it'd take two weeks. By agreeing I thought I'd bought upto 2yrs+ of breathing space. Not preggers within two weeks FFS.

takisawa2

mastiles_fanylion…ours are 18 months apart so wasn't as much of an issue as the younger one was too young to be that bothered. Also, having the younger one lying flat is a bonus as its genuinely usable from birth. The cocoon thing that the younger one goes in is pretty good also.

Can see your dilemma with twins…buggy above looks good.
    Have you got a trailer for them yet ? 🙂

nickc

When I found out the missus was pregnant, I was all of those things; shocked worried, pissed off, we were both in good jobs, life was on the up. And you know what? It's a cliché but he made our lives complete, and really rather f&*king wonderful, as does his sister.

Taking him to his first gig soon. 😀

woody2000

With regard to takisawa's post above – before you embark on any diagnostic tests (of which there are plenty!), ask yourselves if you would terminate the pregnancy in the event of a possible problem. If you wouldn't, then don't bother with them. The nuchal scan is only an indicator, and can only be confirmed by amniocentesis (sp?) which carries a risk of miscarriage.

Good luck! 🙂

Drac

. By agreeing I thought I'd bought upto 2yrs+ of breathing space. Not preggers within two weeks FFS.

Hahaha! Yeah I calculated the same and it was about 6 weeks of trying properly, same with the second one.

I wouldn't go back, although I had ride my bike now, not been to the Alps for about 4 years and see less of my friends. It's brilliant though and soon gets better as they get older.

hora
    Free Member

When I found out the missus was pregnant, I was all of those things; shocked worried, pissed off, we were both in good jobs, life was on the up. And you know what? It's a cliché but he made our lives complete, and really rather f&*king wonderful, as does his sister.

Im taking as much solace in that as I can!

Taking him to his first gig soon.

A few weeks ago I took our friend 3month old son on a trip to the local Co-op (in one of those chest carrying things). Didn't have what I wanted so I ended up taking him for his first ever visit into the local Bargain Booze. 8)

Drac

And a new car with Isofix mounts.

Last few cars had them and the many car sears we've been through, awful things so never used them.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

LOL,

I USED to race triathlons, now a simple visit to the pool or a snatched turbo session is a luxury! Yes, they will set you back an absolute fortune that only becomes more expensive as they grow up… unless you want to live in a cave.

You either have massive income to pay for child care every day, or belong to a massive family network (who love your child)? If not, then it's a bloomin hard slog.

So, as an honest person I urge you to HTFU

Chin up 🙂

AdamM
    Free Member

see less of my friends

This is the bit that's worrying me. Got a 2 week old, just back at work, and I can already see that the chances of me seeing my mates has gone to slim to **** all while the likelihood of me riding a bike for anything other than commuting at any point in the next three years is even less. Mostly I'm worried that I'll have zero time to exercise and will turn into a fat middle aged man and when I finally do have any time to ride a bike I'll be physically incapable of doing it.

Not (yet) seeing any upsides of having a kid, but expecting that to change with time as he starts to meaningfully respond to the outside world.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

having the younger one lying flat is a bonus as its genuinely usable from birth

Yeah – it is pretty much required – that buggy we have takes car seats and totally flat cribs too. 🙂

We hunted high and low and finally got what we wanted.

brassneck

I had to sell my Lotus, but it was worth it.

Welcome to Club Dad, usually to be found Overdoing it A Bit on some singletrack very close to home.

Pack as much into the next 5 months as you can, then brace yourself – no one can adequately describe the change it brings.

hora
    Free Member

If its a girl —————————————————–>

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Any reluctants Dads on here? Experiences when you had your first born’ is closed to new replies.