Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Not again
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Yep you guessed it – it’s the fox 36 pinch bolt cracking one again!

Not really after advice just fancied a moan – I’ve been here before!
    Replaced the lowers on my 2006 floats 2 years ago through Mojo after an unsuccessful warranty claim. Decided to do like for like as I couldn’t afford the new QR ones without the defect (and it is a defect!!). Mojo promised me that these “special” shims would prevent my non-existent over tightening being an issue.
    Worked for a while – just noticed cracks on either side.
    Already contacted Mojo – what do you reckon my chances are? (snigger)

jam-bo

So how else do they crack if its not over tightening?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Poor design. Cast aluminium being made to flex at a pinch bolt? I’ll leave the logic up to you…..

ndthornton
    Free Member

Have you seen the size of the gap – the distance the two sides have to travel to clamp the axle is ridiculously large – and you cant put too large a shim in there otherwise it wont clamp at all.

Trimix
    Free Member

How tight are you clamping them up then ?

Mine are 3ys old and you could clamp them with less force than you can exert with your little finger.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Little finger on what lever length??
    Little finger on a 10m lever = a lot of force.

My rule has been finger tight using the short end of an allan key, this really isnt very much force as I work in an office and have ladies hands. I supposed I could have used my little finger on the short end of an allan key, or perhaps just used the weight of the allan key itself to tighten the bolt. But I would argue in his scenario your not actually tightening the bolt! – so whats the point, you might as well have quick release and a floppy front wheel.

banks
    Free Member

just don’t do them up tight, ‘pinch’ is the clue, not clamp the **** out of them. 😀

Quite surprised i haven’t snapped mine yet

ndthornton
    Free Member

OMG
    Well why dont the new ones crack then!! Just because there QR – the user still sets the amount of force required to do them up (Ok Im guessing this bit as I havent actually seen a set up close). Or perhaps – shock – horror – they fixed their damn problem

grrrrrrr

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do my 05s up more than finger tight, no cracks yet. They do have the shims though.

jam bo it’s a known fault – unless you know better? 🙄

ndthornton
    Free Member

I would guess that those who do not have issues probably do not remove their wheel very often – since the cracking is due to metal fatigue. Do you chaps use bike racks, or ride from home? I but my bike in the boot so am often taking the wheel off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hardly ever ride mine, yes 😎

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Not again’ is closed to new replies.