Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • North York Moors Route Advice
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

Up in Whitby next weekend and looking to take a group over Fylingdales way. I’ve ridden the BW from Lilla Cross across Brown Hill to Riverhead Farm in the Summer, there also looks to be an interesting route across Burn Howe nad Jugger Howe, what are the conditions like at the moment? We’re used to the boggy conditions on Cut Gate etc but I’ve heard that the ground over the NYM is very clay based and can be really crappy. Any local tips or info on current conditions gratefully received. Ta

robhenry85
    Free Member

i went a few weeks ago, was very very boggy and hard work! still fun tho, only a few bit that was un rideable!

http://www.sports-tracker.com/widgets/wdgt_workout.html?username=RobHenry&workout_key=618o204govc5r7qc

hope the link works,

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Rob, we’re planning to go a bit further east though.

ratadog

The bridleway behind Fylingdales was already boggy a couple of months ago when I last went that way although the paths round Lilla were fine. I have not been up to Lilla since but the paths that way tend to be a mix between sandy/gravelly stuff that dries quite quickly and knee deep clay/bog. There is some info about drier weather variations here. The bits I have been riding around Wykeham and Givendale at the south end of the moors have remained fairly damp for the last couple of weeks so I suspect its boggy a bit further north as well. Sorry, can’t be more helpful than that.

robhenry85
    Free Member

could always drop down to dalby forest as its made for alweather riding.

as it goes i’m going tomorrow because i think everywhere else will be to muddy/boggy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘North York Moors Route Advice’ is closed to new replies.