Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • North Devon
  • Swiftacular
    Free Member

Ok, I've been missing for a while, as I bought a bmx and kind of got sucked in lol, but now I'm back on the mountainbike, and it looks like I'm moving to North Devon (Ilfracombe to be exact).
    Any locals on here, and if so, many good trails or local clubs rides etc?

timpol
    Free Member

grew up in ilfracombe, what sort of rides you into?

petestuart
    Free Member

Very jealous. I'd love to live round that way. Isn't Exemoor basically on your doorstep. There's bound to be loads. Quantocks are a reasonable drive away as well. Plenty of riding… surfing, walking and practically anything else you care to do outdoorsy round there!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hmmm what's Tavistock like?

crispybacon
    Free Member

Hmmm what's Tavistock like?

For DH there is Gawton very nearby & for XC Dartmoor is also close by.

bassspine
    Free Member

Tavistock is moor in the west than the north

trailmonkey

and a fair way from the better bits of Dartmoor

bramblerash
    Free Member

Do your self a favour and don't move to ilfracombe, i also grew up there and left as soon as i could, it's a nice place to visit and has got a lot of good riding on the doorstep but it's got more smackheads and deadbeats than any where else on the north devon coast!

nmdbase
    Free Member

It's a hole

rexated
    Free Member

I live in Barnstaple. There are a few good local loops around, but not a great deal of tech stuff nearby. I'm happy to ride locally during the week but try to get out to Exmoor, Quantocks, Dartmoor as often as I can at weekends – so pretty spoilt for daytrips!

There are lots of nice places near to Ilfracombe, and some okay parts of the town… North Devon is a great place to live if you can stomach the non-dual carriageway link road to the rest of civilisation! There is an ace bikeshop in Braunton, and some okay ones in Barnstaple.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I love North Devon.

Stayed in the most incredible holiday flat in Ilfracombe once, it was beautiful. But, the town itself is pretty depressing .

Obviously, Croyde is super expensive, but have you considered Braunton instead? Just down the road with lots of facilities for a large village/small town. You'll never go short of surf shops either!

backhander
    Free Member

I resided in Chivenor for a few years. The winters are a little bleak (driving rain and much greyness IIRC). Used to ride to croyde on in the summer though. Happy days.
    Braunton is a nice little place and the aggy is a pretty good pub!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was born in Braunton (53 years ago) my parents still live there.
    My Aunty and Uncle ran the Aggi for thirty years (they've been retired for quite a few years now though).

markcdo
    Free Member

I also resided in Chivenor for a few years and did a lot of riding around Braunton/ilfracombe/Woolacombe/Coombe Martin. There is enough to keep you interested in the local area, I used to go to Exmoor every couple of weeks for some more challenging stuff. you can be in Simonsbath in about 40 mins, Minehead in an hour.

Chris and the lads at Southfork in Braunton quite often have a shop ride out, well worth a look – both the shop and the ride !!

so yes, you're a lucky b*****d – I live in flinkin' Essex now and it's poo. Enjoy.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I grew up in Combe Martin and went to school in Ilfracombe. There is a mountain bike group that rides from the pack o' cards (Combe Martin) at 6.30 every wednesday night (all welcome, no one gets dropped etc) and plenty of riders around. Southfork is also an ace bike shop and have club rides

As mentioned above, Ilfracombe is probably the worst town in North Devon. It is surrounded by lots of lovely places, and has its plus points, but I could not (at all!) recommend you move there!

As for Combe Martin, its only 10 minutes away but its a whole 'nother world. I can ride up onto exmoor from my doorstep, wheel the kayak 3 minutes to the beach and explore the coast, and its 30 minutes in either direction to Lynton or Croyde for surf no matter what the tides are doing.

North Devon is fantastic!!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Well we're only renting, so it's 6 months in ilfracombe, then maybe somewhere nearby after that.
    I love the area, and would ideally be in woolacombe or Combe Martin, but need a minimum of 3-4 beds, and theyre thin on the ground. Being smack bang in the middle of the two can't be that bad, and if you've ever lived in Grimsby, you'd never complain about ilfracombe lol.
    Moving from the lincs wolds, so used to plugging away for hours with little reward. A bit of elevation will be a pleasure. Bmx scene in the south west looks quite healthy too.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Bmx scene in the south west looks quite healthy too.

Construction of a new skatepark in Ilfracombe began this week. I live in Barnstaple and there's no chance I'd live in Ilfracombe. One of my riding mates lives there though and he loves it. I'd like to live in Braunton but it's bastard expensive.

There's a few of us trying to organise a regular evening ride time at the minute (probably gonna be Wednesdays). Give us a shout if you'd like to join us.

What's bringing you down this way?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

It's an area I've always wanted to live in.
    I work offshore so with my rotation I can pretty much live anywhere. Had some upheaval recently, and me and the missus just thought, why not, you only get one life eh?
    And my scene has died, so if worst comes to the worst and I have to ride alone, I'd rather be there. I'm always trying to build the scene local, but got really hard recently.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

And I'd love to join you, should be 6 weeks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘North Devon’ is closed to new replies.