Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Nook HD + with CyanogenMod is it worth it?
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Been looking around and I can get a SH 16Gb 9″ Nook HD + for £80 in almost new condition.
    Has anyone got one and done the android install?

jeffl

Dabs were doing 1st Gen Nexus 7 refurbs for £104 at the weekend. Ordered one for my son.

verses

Here’s a couple of posts of mine from this thread with my thoughts on it.

In summary; very pleased with it for the price, but there are a few compromises.

I have the Nook HD+ (9″ version) and love it, although I removed the default Nook flavoured OS and stuck CyanogenMod on it.

There’s no camera or GPS, but I can live without them for the price (£129 when I bought it). The processor isn’t cutting edge, but is nippy enough for most things and the screen is very high res.

Nook are currently selling off all their accessories for £5 each, I just got a fancy case for it that should have been £35!

My only niggle is that it uses a proprietary charging cable, so if it breaks I’m stuffed (although reduced to £5 for a spare at the mo).

Running CyanogenMod is noticeably quicker, but it’s not 100% quicker or anything that dramatic. The best benefits are that you have the flexibility of the full Android OS and that the Play store becomes unrestricted – my MiL bought one on my recommendation but she’s kept the Nook OS and there’re various apps that won’t install on hers that are fine on mine.

It’s not all plain sailing though; while CM seems very stable I do get annoying, occasional, flickers on the screen (a couple of times every 1-5mins) BUT that only happens when I use it while it’s charging. I’m happy to live with that for the speed boost and functionality increase.

EDIT: I followed this guide;
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317500

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Jeffl I have a nexus 7, but I need tablet for work and whilst the 7 is very good the screen is to small for work.

Verses,
    Many thanks for that, that’s all the info a needed, I’m more interested in the high res screen (for reading PDF’s etc) than the processor anyhow.
    I also found that guide online, micro SD card ordered, nook by the end of the week.

verses

Nice one.

FWIW I’ve stuck with the CM 10.1.3 (stable release), although there are regular CM 10.2 nightlies and even CM 11, but from what I’ve read they’re not as stable as 10.1.3

thebunk

Really pleased with mine – 1080p screen really makes a difference on a bigger tablet. Great for web browsing and stuff, wouldn’t expect it to be great at games, but that’s what the xbox is for. Dead easy to stick Cyangonmod on it too – enjoy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Nook HD + with CyanogenMod is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.