Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Is it just me?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

That gets annoyed with horse riderists wearing these bl00dy jackets?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I wonder why they feel the need to do it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Probably not just you. Lots of generally angry people out there. I like them, though. I suspect they work very well, too

JEngledow
    Free Member

What’s to get annoyed about? It’s a hi-viz jacket and a bit like the hump backpacks it allows quick identification of people who are likely to be a little annoying and/or boring!!

I’ve seen a few cyclists wearing these recently. Would they annoy you as well?

wwaswas

If I was on a bike in London I’d wear one.

fasthaggis

No.

Just push them off and steal the horse

bruneep

That’s some wall ride

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Fuzz said they were out to get folk wearing those.

fasthaggis

Would you get pulled over for wearing this ?

patriotpro
    Free Member

They do the job.

wwaswas

Interesting article about them here;

http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/news/jan-to-june-2013/equine-clothing-that-closely-resembles-police-uniform

summary: there’s no case law so it’s not clear whether they are illegal or not.

lilchris
    Free Member

summary: there’s no case law so it’s not clear whether they are illegal or not

I know it is on cars, but not sure on apparel.

A mate who restores and shows ex-police cars at exhibitions has to cover any wording that could be mistaken for that of an emergency service’s (ie polite), as well as covering and separately disabling roof lights whilst on the road.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few cyclists wearing these recently. Would they annoy you as well?

Yes they would. I just don’t like how people are pretending to be the Police just to get the reaction they want.

40mpg

A mate of mine once bought a blue rear bike light from Argos (cos it was cheaper than teh red ones!).

On a night ride, short stretch of road in the middle of nowhere, and we get stopped by the police for this. At least they saw us 😀

40mpg
    dogbert
    Free Member

There was a thing on Jeremy Vine today about the state of cycling in London and a guy said he wore a hi-viz jacket that said something along the lines of “Polite notice, I am filming this” – He seemed very happy that he hadn’t been knocked off his bike in 2 years

About 30 minutes in this guy appears

vickypea
    Free Member

It doesn’t annoy me, but it makes me laugh when horse riders that I’ve spoken to try to claim that those things look nothing like the police versions and how on earth could I think otherwise!

molgrips
    Free Member

just to get the reaction they want

What, you mean being seen? How dare they!

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a bit clever dick-ish yeah.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps you should get cross at the cause not the symptom?

TBH I dont care what clothes anyone wears.

cheers_drive

Doesn’t annoy me, although horse riders generally get more respect than cyclists anyway.
    The self important signs that people put outside their houses saying ‘Polite notice, no parking…’ do annoy me though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Doesn’t annoy me, although horse riders generally get more respect than cyclists anyway.

I think it’s because they’re riding a tonne of meat that can kick a hole in a car.

miketually
    Free Member

On an unrelated note, this is the 18th thread with “Is it just me?” as the title. So, some things aren’t just you.

RichPenny
    Free Member

“IMPOLITE” notice.

I am a **** ****. If you **** knock me off, I’ll delace the **** wheel and **** insert each **** spoke up your **** arse. Sideways. ****.

Better.

benji
    Free Member

At least if you are getting angry it’s worked, you’ve seen them. There are far too many people being outraged and getting angry about the silliest little things, does it really matter that much to you? If it does have a quiet word with yourself and get things in perspective please.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thank you benji, your advice is invaluable.

benji
    Free Member

Thank you benji, your advice is invaluable.

Pleased to be able to help, any other issues don’t hesitate to get in touch.

D0NK

Yes they would. I just don’t like how people are pretending to be the Police just to get the reaction they want.

They aren’t pretending to be police, by the simple fact it doesn’t say police on their jacket. They are pulling a minor trick on you, the idea being drivers go “oh shit I better be careful it’s the fuzz” and for some reason they get a bit pissed off when they realise they’ve been careful around a vulnerable road user for no good reason. But I guess you knew that. Vickypea I’m sure they know full well what you mean but plausible deniability and all that.

Oh and the police are giving horseriders police hi-viz around our way!

Saw a horseist with a police horse coat (or whatever those blankets/covers are called) recently, looked a bit old and shabby so presumably one they’d got off a friend on the force. This was offroad btw.

muzzle
    Free Member

JEngledow – Member
    What’s to get annoyed about? It’s a hi-viz jacket and a bit like the hump backpacks it allows quick identification of people who are likely to be a little annoying and/or boring!!

Oi! I have a Hump backpack cover and I’m only very slightly annoying/and or boring.

Houns

I like them, but like most hi viz cycling kit, useless with a camelbak

muzzle
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    I like them, but like most hi viz cycling kit, useless with a camelbak

Agreed. I use mine for the 5-mile ride to work, which I can just about manage without a drink.

Edit: assuming you’re referring to the Hump covers, not the pretend Police jacket.

D0NK

oh yeah I forgot

It’s a hi-viz jacket and a bit like the hump backpacks it allows quick identification of people who are likely to be a little annoying and/or boring!!

on a forum where lack of hi viz is seen, by some, as contributory negligence is that you having a go at those who do bother to use some?

or just trollage?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m still looking for a decent hi-vis backpack. If anyone knows of a supplier.

Back to the OP – the way some locals drive, and in particular the way they pass riders, you can’t blame the riders for wanting any safety improvement.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m still looking for a decent hi-vis backpack. If anyone knows of a supplier.

There are some about – trying to think where i saw one.

Otherwise I’ve used a hi-viz waterproof cover to kill two birds with one stone.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have a cover thanks, would prefer it to be built-in. And, moon on a stick time, dayglo orange.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.