Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Non biking, hooded, versatile softshell suggestions.
  • robob
    Free Member

I’m looking for a jacket that will be good for general use for spring, autumn with a t-shirt / baselayer, summer showers and still useful when its colder with a thin fleece when walking etc…

In the summer, it will be more of a “oh bugger, it’s quite cool and rainy and I want to walk to the shops / campsite loo etc” jacket (funnily enough nothing in the marketing blurbs mentions this) and in the winter it will be a cross between going for a proper walk with a pack and general use.

Could do with a hood and long sleeves, breathable and nice against the skin(!)

I was thinking along the lines of a softshell and from pictures on the internet the Rab Baltero, Mountain Equipment Astron or the Marmot ROM all of which have hoods, but are possibly too warm and I realise I’m probably over jacketing myself. But if something is worth doing its worth wildly overdoing.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Baldysquirt

Rab Vapor rise jacket. I've had various soft shell type things over the last few years and haven't found anything that comes close to being as comfortable in as wide a range of conditions as my old vapor rise top. My next soft shell will definitely by a vapor rise. They also feel very nice next to the skin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I looked at an Arcteryx (sp?) jacket at £140 which may fit the bill, Eslion maybe? Might be too heavy.

tang
    Free Member

haglofs did one i think(weasel/viper) . i have an arcteryx gamma softshell and its been really good for 4 years, their hooded one should fit the bill.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i got sold one good and proper, I say this because it was twice my budget but he made such a good case I went for it. Anyway it's a Norrona Falketind Flex and it's ace. Really stretchy and has very long sleeves with long bits over the knuckles in case you want to cycle in it. It's very good for snowboarding. The only thing it could do better is water resistance.

jam-bo

arcteryx epsilon SV. brilliant jacket.

wors

I got one of these for such a situation earlier in the year.
    http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Outdoor_Clothing/Bike_Wear/Bike_Jackets/sc1673/p19434.aspx

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wors, is it any good? Thinking breathe-a-bility and waterproofness.

wors

Wors, is it any good? Thinking breathe-a-bility and waterproofness.

Yeah not had any issues so far.

corroded
    Free Member

I've got an Arcteryx Epsilon jacket and it's fantastic – really well made, great cut (for a slim build). It's a proper do-anything jacket – I ski, winter climb, hike in it – but it'd be too warm for me in summer showers. I don't need a fleece underneath it except in winter.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Can I chuck a Millet (that Millet, not Millets!) Touring Hoodie into the mix?
    I've used one for 3+ years or so and it's awesome. Light, thin, well cut, tough and generally pretty weatherproof.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Non biking, hooded, versatile softshell suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.