Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Nomad C, Mojo HD 160, Enduro S works
  • alex222
    Free Member

I am going to Canada in May 2013. I am unsure whether to get a Nomad C or a Mojo Ibis HD 160 here before I head out there or get S-Works enduro when I do finally get to Whistler. I am talking frame and forks only.

So I would like to here experiences of both Nomad c and Mojo HD.

I know that the Ibis has a shorter TT than the Nomad. I have also heard that the shock has to have all the rebound dialed on and can cavitate when in full compression on the Mojo. However it also has space for 650b wheels which is a plus.

Not sure if the Nomad C has any such problems though I have heard there is a hell of a lot of pedal kick back. Not sure if this is true. Also it doesn’t have water bottle bosses and I am not sure if it can take 650b wheels

Finally Enduro sworks 2013. Looks good comes with a CC air. Not sure if it can take 650b wheels also comes with a command post.

Opinions please. Go

honourablegeorge

First and foremost, if you need a 160mm bike, then you don’t want a water bottle cage.

jam-bo

I’d get the one with the best warranty.

So the specialized.

MussEd
    Free Member

My opinion is you’re a lucky cant and I’m jealous of a) your travel plans and b) your bike dilemma.

Fwiw I have Enduro and if it was me I’d go for carbon version. Now beat it you lucky person…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Carbon Covert. You’ll lose 10mm of travel but if it’s anythiing like the alloy I bet you’ll never miss it.

neilforrow

Mine in:
    140mm setting:

160mm setting:

It is a massively strong bike, and Ibis/ 2pure are great with the warranty. There is loads on info on the HD on MTBR. However check this run of Lopes in Whistler if you think it might not be up to the job:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/GoPro-HD-2012-Crankworx-Jeep-Air-DH-with-Brian-Lopes.html

I have been very happy with it.. i sold the xc and dh bike and go this to replace both… I can still make all the climbs on the moors and on the timed dh runs i am just as fast as on my dh bike. No real down side imo. But I would say that cause’ I brought one!

One thing – you are right, I ride a large and it feels like a medium i.e. the top tube is short compared to other bikes and it needs a specific chain device.

Oh and i Just got a set of 650b BOR wheels for it too.

ojom
    Free Member

I have also heard that the shock has to have all the rebound dialed on and can cavitate when in full compression on the Mojo.

Huh?

honourablegeorge

Carbon Covert has 160mm, same as Nomand & HD. 2013 Enduro has 165mm.

honourablegeorge

@neilforrow – what height are you?

Mojo ticks all the boxes for me, but really wary of it being too short. Have sat on one, and it feels OK, it’s only 10mm less than my Spicy…. still v. unsure, though.

I keep adding it to my basket on the Bike Chain website, and not going through with it. And then I get helpful emails form them the next morning, asking if I’m sure I don’t want it.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I was interested in a carbon frame to run 650b wheels I would probably wait a year or so for the geometry to settle down.

neil853
    Free Member

If I was interested in a carbon frame to run 650b wheels I would probably wait a year or so for the geometry to settle down.

^ this, wouldn’t want to spend £2k plus on a frame that wasn’t designed for them. Just my opinion of course 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nomad C was awesome when I rode it for a demo – p*ssed all over the alpine (not on your list) next bike that came close was a Blur LT.

650b – who cares
    bottle mounts – pointless

bigrich

why do you want 650B wheels?

ojom
    Free Member

I keep adding it to my basket on the Bike Chain website, and not going through with it. And then I get helpful emails form them the next morning, asking if I’m sure I don’t want it.

Oh aye, i forget we send them out…

honourablegeorge

thebikechain – Member

Oh aye, i forget we send them out…

They’re working their way into my head, slowly. I’ll come into work some morning and hit the button.

Stevelol
    Free Member

You’ll be chuffed with any, they’re all similar so you need to test ride them at the end of the day.

udder
    Free Member

Mojo HD. Just look at it – it’s stunning.

Looks aside, it’s light, stiff, incredibly versatile and holds its resale value pretty well. It’s easy to pull apart and service yourself and ibis are continually tweaking linkages and make modified parts easily available so owners can bring their frames in line with the current models if they choose. An Ibis is quite a future proof purchase.

I’ve got a mojo sl. It’s a little scamp of a bike. I fancy a Mojo HD.

Tracey

I went for the S Works Enduro, cant fault it

alex222
    Free Member

First and foremost, if you need a 160mm bike, then you don’t want a water bottle cage.

I like to ride without a pack unless I am out for more than 4 hours. So a water bottle cage might be nice.

neilforrow

honourablegeorge – Member

@neilforrow – what height are you?

6ft. It is shorter, but not too short. Just takes a little getting used too. I went from the 50mm stem to a 65mm and that has helped massively… funny how a small amount makes a big difference. Could be a placebo tho. Do it.

An Ibis is quite a future proof purchase.

+1 Nomad is a qr rear end the ibis has a 142 axel.

toons
    Free Member

have a read of this

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/massively-long-mostly-carbon-frame-shootout-including-ibis-810673.html

I’ve got a Mojo HD and f’ing love it!

Do you not need a DH bike for Whistler?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

New Nomads are 142x12mm – hence why I’m trying to convert my Havens 🙁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nice position to be in, one I was also in 12 months ago.

I liked the Mojo, but I was inbetween sizes of the L & XL. Also, as trivial as it sounds, the cable routing is properly crap on it, running along the TT, with the clamps – looks like a cheap supermarket bike – that really annoyed me. The other thing with the inner weight weenie in me that put me off is it’s nearly a pound heavier than the other two.

The Specialized I looked at, but could only get it as a full bike (thanks Specialized). Seemed an expensive way to buy a bike & ditch pretty much everything but the frame.

I ended up with the Nomad & have ridden it for a year now. Gets used for everything. I’ve down some XC/trail on it, and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. I’ve raced DH on it (and won!). I’ve done a few gravity enduro’s on it & it’s been great & spent 2 weeks riding it in the Alps, one of which racing the Mega.

It really is a very good bike indeed. That being said, it’s splitting hairs between all three – they are all very good indeed 🙂

Regarding the ‘pedal kickback’ you mention on the Nomad, most of this is because people don’t know how to set up air shocks properly & run them with far too little sag. The Nomad works best up to ~30%, so a little bit more than normal.

If a water bottle mount is what you want, then you’re stuck with the Enduro.

alex222
    Free Member

why do you want 650B wheels?

Nice to have the option. Not sure that I do ant 650b wheels but should I try them and decide that I like them then if I can put them into my frame than I don’t have to buy a new frame.

Do you not need a DH bike for Whistler?

I am wanting an enduro bike. Not to bothered about the bike park. I will head to Whistler first as I have friends there. I am not sure if I will want to stay there. Whistler is the default location.

The Specialized I looked at, but could only get it as a full bike (thanks Specialized). Seemed an expensive way to buy a bike & ditch pretty much everything but the frame.

You can buy the enduro sworks frame only (including a command post) in Canada/USA

honourablegeorge

neilforrow – Member

+1 Nomad is a qr rear end the ibis has a 142 axel.

Thanks Neil. Think I need to get a demo, but there are none here.

Nomad is now 142 at the back.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Carbon Covert has 160mm,

Ooof.

Job done.

tinman66
    Free Member

Am I the only person that thinks Mojos are butt ugly?

Sorry that’s all I can contribute to this conversation, I’m still too depressed that I’m not buying one of these bikes or going to Canada to ride it.

alex222
    Free Member

Not bothered by Transition; they are even shorter than Ibis.

cavitate when in full compression

Huh?

The oil in the shock cavitates as the compression is wound on so much.

Fair point that I hadn’t thought of. Scratch the 650b plus point.

honourablegeorge

alex222 – Member
    Not bothered by Transition; they are even shorter than Ibis.

TT on the Carbon Covert is 5mm longer than the Ibis

alex222
    Free Member

Ah okay. Ibis is out of there. Still not too bothered by the Covert.

So Nomad C or Enduro sworks?

neil853
    Free Member

I think it will come down to what you prefer the ride of and the look of. I’m not a fan of the look of the enduro, although I’m sure it rides really well (any frame of that expense will ride well). When I bought my Blur LTc I test rode a few, including a Mojo and 5 Spot but just preferred the size, shape and ride of the SC.

honourablegeorge

alex222 – Member
    Ah okay. Ibis is out of there. Still not too bothered by the Covert.

So Nomad C or Enduro sworks?

Nomad is shorter again:

Nomad C 603.5
    Ibis 605
    Covert 610
    Carbon Spicy (Frame only available for 2013) 615
    Enduro 617

alex222
    Free Member

Enduro it is.

Thanks

neil853
    Free Member

Without even riding one? Seriously?

alex222
    Free Member

I will obviously test ride one but I can’t do that until I get there an I? So I will have to refrain from buying until next may – Essentially.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both the Mojo HD (in both 140 and 160 guise) and the Nomad C. I’m a big fan of 160mm bikes as your one bike for everything but then I am big full stop and longer travel bikes are just better suited to me.

I like both the Mojo and the Nomad but for different reasons.

The Nomad is the better bike in terms of outright DH performance. The Mojo HD isn’t just a bit shorter in the TT, it’s massively shorter in the wheelbase. I think this is why it’s not quite as capable DH and why it’s also much harder to set the suspension up.

Everyone I know who has one and everyone I’ve read about having one, has struggled to get the suspension working just right – not impossible, but it takes a while. I put it down the very short overall length of the bike. The medium is 1114mm and the large is 1128mm. A large Nomad by comparison is 1143mm (although the medium is close to the Mojo).

For reference, a large Enduro is 1183mm long (as is my tailored Nicolai). That makes a huge difference in terms of balance and stability DH.

The Nomad then works better DH, but the Mojo is more flexible as a one bike solution since you can run it 140mm with a shorter fork and get a very light bike (sub 27lbs should be possible) and it pedals uphill better than the Nomad (at least in my view, although the Nomad also pedals very well.)

The Mojo is also less ‘quirky’ in the way the suspension works; the Nomad’s VPP system is extremely effective, especially over square edge hits and drops but you can ‘feel’ what it’s doing rather than it blending into the background. That robs some trail feedback, but really we’re talking ultra fussy levels of observation here.

Personally I’d take the Nomad over the Mojo and I’d find one that is last year’s model so you don’t have to screw around with your wheels.

Howard at Pedal and Spoke may be able to sort you out with a one year old, light use Nomad C as one of his customers is going to 29″ wheels.

Give him a call on 07706 269 542. I reckon he’s extend you a warranty on that frame as well if you asked nicely.

neil853
    Free Member

Think SC UK are selling off some of their demo bikes too

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you are going to buy a bike based on a list of top tube lengths I think there’s something you’re missing.

Test ride everything, dismiss nothing unless it rides horribly.

alex222
    Free Member

If you are going to buy a bike based on a list of top tube lengths I think there’s something you’re missing.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Pleasure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Nomad C, Mojo HD 160, Enduro S works’ is closed to new replies.