Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • No helmet cycling club shame.
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

People here are far to quick to judge the OP as a troll,

Why?!

I’ve seen this type of irresponsibility on trails, Evolution will sort it.

bigblackshed

I went clay pigeon shooting today. The chap next to me ejected his spent cartridges and one hit me in the side of the head. If I’d had a helmet on it would have hit me on the side of the head.

Should I wear a helmet in future?

bruneep

Whereas I spent yesterday in A&E after managing to fall down the stairs in the middle of the night and land on my head… giving myself a fractured skull…

Does this mean I should be thinking of starting to wear a helmet to bed every night?

No! move to a bungalow.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I had on off last year and landed so hard on my head it crush fractured two vertibrae in my spine – what is the arguement for not wearing a helmet, why wouldn’t you.

Its the same in climbing, used to see loads of people not wearing lids, me included, until many years ago a guy came off Flying Buttress on the Cromlech if front of a mate on a wet day and his head opened and spilled in contents in front of him, his description and trauma meant that I always wore a lid after that even if it wasn’t so cool.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Nipper99 – Member

what is the arguement for not wearing a helmet, why wouldn’t you.

cycling’s really quite a safe thing to do?

i choose to wear a helmet because arguing with my wife isn’t.

(safe, that is)

robbieh
    Free Member

Why is it shame on a club? It’s not illegal and I doubt the club has a compulsory helmet rule. I rode with Newbury road club 20 years ago and the only time I wore a lid was at criterium races on private ground, I think they insisted not the club. I did TT.s many club rides and training runs without one as did everyone else. The only lid I saw was a aero one on a guy who had a low pro bike. I,ve just retired as a postie who did 22 yrs many on a bike without a lid until they insisted we wore them out and back to the delivery. Now I only wear one when out on the MTB as I,m tall and tend to find low branches and the greater risk of an off makes it sensible, I suppose it makes a difference that in my 63 yrs I,ve never banged my head any time I,ve fallen off!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Slipped getting out of the shower the other day. Ended up coming round in the back of an ambulance. Medical services were convinced my shower helmet saved my life. I used to risk the occasional shower , not wearing a helmet. After this I just don’t risk it. Suggest you do the same.

robbieh
    Free Member

Jeez Fourbanger that’s scary, what helmet do you have, I must get one, Xmas pressie maybe 😆

downgrade
    Free Member

what is the arguement for not wearing a helmet, why wouldn’t you

I don’t know but I have this strange feeling its all been discussed once or twice before.

bearnecessities

@ IanMunro, what was the outcome on poop procrastination?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Robbieh, think how your loved ones would feel if you died in a shower related injury not wearing one…

fourbanger
    Free Member

With modern helmet venting, there’s no place for excuses such as “it makes it hard to wash my hair wearing one”

robbieh
    Free Member

Robbieh, think how your loved ones would feel if you died in a shower related injury not wearing one…

yes, you are right, how neglectful I’ve been all these years, I feel ashamed, no more showers for me till I have a shower cap

chip
    Free Member

Everything In life involves risk, I have a friends who’s mother got up in the night to get a drink of water, fell down the stairs and died. I also have a friend who when we were kids lent out of the window of a third floor flat to throw down fifty pence for my friend to buy a ice cream from the ice cream man.
    And fell out of said window into bushes below narrowly missing me and my friend, only to get up with a few scratches.

Shit happens, and if people want to take steps to protect themselves from risk that’s entirely up to them unless the law states otherwise.

Wear a helmet, don’t wear a helmet it’s your noggin .

It’s up to you to keep your kids safe and wether someone else decides not to wear a helmet in club colours or otherwise has no bearing on that.

fourbanger
    Free Member

There’s no place for reasonable statements like that here chip, this is a helmet debate FFS!

chip
    Free Member

I’m sorry.

I will get my coat.

ricky1
    Free Member

Result,cheers lads,I had a bet with my mates that I could get over 50 comments on a crappy post,now I’m £60 up thanks to you lot,merry Christmas ha ha ha ha ha

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m sorry.
    I will get my coat.

Don’t forget your walking helmet.
    Pavements are slippy this time of year.

robbieh
    Free Member

What helmet you going to get with your 60 quid?

joolsburger
    Free Member

TIL about ballistic trousers. I will definately use that knowledge at some point.

_tom_
    Free Member

I take it people think it’s acceptable not to wear a helmet then?

Yes, it is.

nealglover
    Free Member

Result,cheers lads,I had a bet with my mates that I could get over 50 comments on a crappy post,now I’m £60 up thanks to you lot,merry Christmas ha ha ha ha ha

I had a bet with my cat that the OP would be back at some point with the tired old Edinburgh Defence to cover his embarrassment 🙄

The cat now owes me a bottle of wine and he has to wash the car every week for a month.

chip
    Free Member

I’m sorry.
    I will get my coat.
    Don’t forget your walking helmet.
    Pavements are slippy this time of year.

No need, I wear my general purpose helmet at all times when not on the bike.
    Although have stopped wearing it to bed since fitting the padded headboard .

oldnick

Don’t forget the importance of personal hygiene.

I’ve been buffing my helmet furiously.

plus-one

There’s some helmets on here 🙂 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I think you might want this website instead

Merlinman

OP on his Christmas break now 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘No helmet cycling club shame.’ is closed to new replies.