Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Solar Storm X2 – Mid term report
  • p8ddy
    Free Member

I know there’s been a lot of talk about the Solar Storm X2’s on here, but very little in the way of longevity reports… so here goes! 😉

X2 light – Still excellent. Very bright, very waterproof and mine doesn’t get too hot even at a standstill on high mode.

Battery – I’m already seeing drop offs in the performance of the supplied batteries. However, I suspect that’s due to the main problem I’ve had.

UK Charger – As said above, I’ve noticed a drop off in battery performance. With this in mind, I dropped over to Torchy The Battery Boy’s place and picked up a nice Fluxient battery pack, AND 4 18650 batteries to go in the battery boxes I’ve ordered. So… On getting home tonight, I checked the charge in the batteries and the battery pack. The pack was needing charged, so I plugged the charger in. After 5 minutes the charger was so hot it was almost too hot to hold. So… Looks like the UK charger supplied by Dongx2011 is junk. I’ll be getting back to him on the battery and charger. I have the same issue with the charger with the stock batteries.

Over all? Considering the cost of the light, I’m still very happy. But I’d advise anyone with the UK charger/stock battery to consider getting decent replacements from Torchy, or another reputable supplier. My charger issue *might* be a one off. Likewise with the batteries, but regardless, the batteries aren’t at all well sealed, and for the sake of £30 you can have some faith your house won’t catch fire. 🙂

The ebay seller and item I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Bright-2x-CREE-XML-U2-LED-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Set-Red-Black-5000-Lumen-UK-/200959831751?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item2eca23aec7

Torchy’s site:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/

Torchy’s ebay account:

http://dsa.ebay.co.uk/sch/big_f_d_d/m.html?item=290994747639&pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item43c0a378f7&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Even considering the cost of a replacement battery pack, the X2 is still a bargain – you can get the light without battery for about £13! All in, for less than the price of a Moon xp300 you can have a stonking light.

Oh – and as an addendum… the Moon lights are fantastic. I’ve saw a couple of the xp500’s, so comparing to the x2 is meant as a compliment, not a Mac vs PC style dis. 🙂

Also, there’s been an issue with the contact details/phone number on Torchy’s ebay account, so if trying to get a hold of him you may get an irate guy with a wrong number.

Hope the above info helps anyone swithering about the lights…

Finally, just to make sure no one thinks this is a sly ad for Torchy or the ebay seller – I only came to hear of Torchy thru STW recommendations/threads, and have had no prior dealings with him or the ebay seller of my light. 🙂

turbo1397
    Free Member

Im thinking about buying one of these lights.. but would probably buy charger and battery’s from torchy.. just out of curiosity where did you see just the light for about £ 13?

robbieh
    Free Member

Torchy is a top guy to deal with. I pm’d him last week through ebay asking his advice, he got back to me in the hour With help! I’ve bought several items from him and always quick arriving and quality gear. The Senybor batts. I got 3 winters ago are still great performers and will get some more soon to make up a new pack for my Solarstorm which is a fantastic light for the money.

robbieh
    Free Member

Im thinking about buying one of these lights.. but would probably buy charger and battery’s from torchy.. just out of curiosity where did you see just the light for about £ 13?

I’ve seen this too from one of the Ebay sellers

tmb467
    Free Member

Lightmalls had the head unit on sale for about $25

Just to note tho – there are three different LED types available with the Solar Storm

There is the U2, the XM L and the XM L2. The last one is the newest one and is advertised as 2200 lumens

MarkLG
    Free Member

Buying the head unit on it’s own and getting the battery and charger from a reliable source is definitely the way to go with these lights.
    These lights are so cheap now the head units are disposable – you can afford to replace it whenever the next ‘improved’ 10,000 lumen model comes along.
    If you invest in some decent battery packs and a quality charger they’ll see you through a few winters and a few different head units.
    My kit now uses an X2 on the bars with a homemade 5AH battery using Samsung cells, and an XM-L T6 on the helmet connected to a little 2×18650 battery using 3Ah Panasonics.

Northwind

Torchy is a good chap.

Having said that it’s only an extra £6 for battery and charger over buying the head unit alone, at that price I bought one anyway just to have a spare. Suspect I’ll never use the charger though

fudge9202
    Free Member

Northwind think I’ll do the same, buy the light as is and then get a custom battery made by Torchy.

chrisdw
    Free Member

How are you guys building your own batteries with the individual cells?

I have bought 3 lights from dongx on eBay.

The first one was a red one. came with a 4 cell battery and a 2 pin charger.

2nd lot were black and came with 6 cell batteries and UK charger.

The light heads of the black ones are of much higher quality, better screws, and better mount. The switch also operates differently. The red scrolls from high to low including strobe. The blacks scroll from low to high and you have to hold it down for strobe. So looks like there are a few different versions floating around. both seem about the same for brightness, and both use XML U2 LEDS

turbo1397
    Free Member

Yip, seems like the best combination.. think thats the route i’ll go down. 🙂

robbieh
    Free Member

I bought individual 18650 cells from Torchy and a 2cell charger. Then a 2cell batt.holder from ebay, finished with a suitable plug from maplin. You can just change the cells when flat or use 2 batt. Holders and 4 cells I.E. 2 holders wired together doubling the power supply but still with 7.4V.

Bregante

I’ve bought a second battery pack (6×18650’s) from Torchy which came complete with the Magicshine/Solarstorm type connector. If the charger is now the weak link (mine also gets hot) can anyone suggest a compatible uk one?

acidchunks

Thanks P8ddy!

Fortunately my charger doesn’t overheat but I’m not massively impressed with the run time on the battery that came with my x2.

Can anyone confirm if this would be a suitable replacement?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=290996988596

MarkLG
    Free Member

The easiest way is to buy some battery holders off ebay, along with some 2.1/5.5mm power leads and solder a lead onto the wire from the pack. Pop in some protected 18650 cells and wrap it in heatshrink sleeving.
    For bigger packs with more than 2 cells it’s better to use unprotected cells and a separate protection circuit for the whole battery, which involves a bit more work.
    I’m using an Imax RC battery charger for mine, but you can just use the charger that came with the light.

MarkLG
    Free Member

acidchunks – that should be a good battery, and it’s a good price for that capacity.

acidchunks

Cheers 😀

philfive
    Free Member

I have ordered just the light head from lighmalls and I have a fluxient battery pack already so I’m happy 🙂

p8ddy
    Free Member

Turbo1397…

Ebay linky for £13 lamp only:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstorm-CREE-XM-L-XML-2-U2-LED-X2-2000Lm-Bicycle-Light-Bike-Light-Only-/261291459846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd62f4506

From speaking to Torchy again today (picked up a new charger from him given my SolarStorm one gets burny hot) He reckons the x2 is good light with a crap stock battery. I think the quote was “It looks like they put all the money in the light itself”. So there you have it. I know he now has an x2 and an x3, so I guess his blog may be updated, and the much discussed actual lumens output debate will be laid to rest! 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

p8ddy Patrick how did you get in touch with Torchy have left messages via ebay and no reply I too have bought the light but want to purchase a charger and better battery

p8ddy
    Free Member

fudge9202…

I used the following number: 01413165383

He said he’s been snowed under with eBay stuff so is working thru the backlog, but that number will let you get a hold of him. That and the mess up with numbers on ebay meaning that someone else is getting phone calls meant for him.

You’ll basically be replicating the setup I have – x2 headlight and torchy battery pack/battery charger.

Give him a call and he’ll sort you out. 🙂

zippykona

Sorry if its been asked but will my magic shine 872 battery work and plug straight in on the solar storm ?

thatscold
    Free Member

Sorry if its been asked but will my magic shine 872 battery work and plug straight in on the solar storm ?

Mine does, you just can’t screw it on.

danbo
    Free Member

How much longer would the fluxient ebay battery last for?

p8ddy
    Free Member

Danbo….

My stock x2 light battery was advertised as 6400mah, and I got +4 hours on mid setting. The positives from a better quality battery are more in the not setting your house on fire and having a battery that doesn’t die after two weeks departments.

The fluxient battery will be safe and reliable.

grum
    Free Member

Fluxient battery – are we talking about this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-6600mAh-7-4v-battery-with-pouch-compatible-with-Magicshine-Xeccon-etc-/290996988596?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43c0c5aab4

The voltage is 7.4v rather than 8.4v but I’m too thick to know what that means.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Grum…

The battery pack I’m now using with the solarstorm is a 7.4v 4400mah fluxing battery and works without issue. But I’m also too thick to know what the difference entails. 😀

That said, the solar storm battery box that takes 4×18650 batteries is also running 7.4v.

I have no idea how it all resolves though.

federalski
    Free Member

I already have a mtbbatteries lumenator, does anyone know if the battery pack would work with the. Solar storm if I were to buy just the unit on its own?

althepal

Got my x2 from lightmalls yesterday.. arrived in a small, plain cardboard box. Looks ok but quality not as good as my basic light bought a couple of years ago from mtbbatteries.. Head unit looks ok but a bit low-rent. It does kick out a hell of a lot of light going by my back garden nighttime test. Don’t have a meter to check the battery charger’s performance but for the money its not bad at all. Suppose I can use my old battery and charger if needed or get new ones from mtbbatteries!

kamenev
    Free Member

This might clarify this issue about the different quoted voltages for the 4×18650 battery packs:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/confusion_with_voltages

fudge9202
    Free Member

I spoke to Torchy today and this is the battery that he recommended
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-6600mAh-7-4v-battery-with-pouch-compatible-with-Magicshine-Xeccon-etc-/290996988596?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43c0c5aab4
    I would say Smudge of MTB Batteries will have something compatible also.
    Perhaps he will post a link to a compatible one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Looks like the UK charger supplied by Dongx2011 is junk

I bought from the same seller and I’ve not had any issues with the UK charger, so far.

The ‘free’ rear light is great.

dan2406

As althepal[u. Mine arrived yesterday from Lightmalls.
    What would be a suitable charger for the battery recommended above?

Don’t forget the X2 uses a slightly different connector (screw thread outer, and a little o ring for weatherproofing) Should work with a different battery pack but no longer waterproof.

jakehogg450
    Free Member

Out of interest… have you had to pay import duty on the lights direct from china, or does £13 get it to your door? ps how does something like this compare to a Glowworm x2 version 3, interms of light output and spread etc? if anyone has one to compare (withstanding the obvious price difference)

cheers.

brassneck

7.4v is correct for the battery packs – 2 x 3.7 cells in series, then usually paralleled with other pairs for capacity.

The charger will be listed as 8.4v as (I’m remembering badly here ..) it needs a little push over the rated PD on the cells to charge them properly.

Another warning re: chargers. Mine actually caught fire (mildly, lots of smoke rather than flames). I’d always been careful of the cells, but this is a danger you should be aware of if buying direct.

Don’t forget the X2 uses a slightly different connector (screw thread outer, and a little o ring for weatherproofing) Should work with a different battery pack but no longer waterproof.

Works just fine with ‘old’ XML battery packs, MagicShine etc. – but needs an extra hard push. Found this out when I didn’t, and my road bike ride was punctuated by complete darkness as the lead fell out! Once properly inserted it was fine, and as weatherproof as it ever was (not very without the screw thread).

mangoridebike

interesting stuff – looking at these as apossible replacement for my magic shine when it goes pop

p8ddy
    Free Member

Fudge9202…

The torchy recommended battery you’ve posted will be a monster. Doing a runtime test on the battery I picked up from him Saturday. I’m at 4 1/2 hours on medium so far. One light on he battery indicator, but still going. And torchy’s charger stays reassuringly cool to the touch. 🙂 My battery is a 4400mah one.

I’ll post an update on battery life from the torchy 18650 batteries in the solar storm battery box in due course.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Jakehog450….

On ordering stuff from china I’ve never been stung for import duty. You should be fine. 🙂

p8ddy
    Free Member

Dan2406…

Give Torchy a call and he’ll sort you out with a suitable charger.

Given there’s now 2 of us on this thread with dangerous chargers I wouldn’t take the risk of using the stock one. One fire and one too hot to touch (I’m convinced mine would have caught fire given it was burning to the touch after < 5 minutes)

The light is great the battery and charger less so.

It’s a pity actually that Torchy or one of the other reputable battery folk don’t sell a “safe” x2 setup.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Oh!! While I remember!

When picking stuff up from Torchy he showed me an x2/x3 style light with FIVE lenses/LEDs. On full power it’s brighter than the sun, seriously, it’s silly bright, but I imagine it’ll need a suitcase sized battery for anything more than 5 minutes at full blast. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Solar Storm X2 – Mid term report’ is closed to new replies.