Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • No chance of an answer, but here goes…
  • crikey
    Free Member

Does anyone know what this glass pattern is called?

I had a small domestic disaster today involving a 7 foot tall book case, a CD storage rack of similar height and a glass vestibule door.

The bookcase collapsed upon being moved, which then all got a bit Twin Towers, and the CD thingy smashed one of the glass panels in the door.

I need to know the pattern so I can go and ask for it in the glass shop, but I suspect it’s from the 60s and may not be available anymore…

Ikea bookshelves are not like Captain Scarlet:

…Ah, forgot to post the glass…

duntstick
    Free Member

Faux padded cell, get thee to a glazier for something more up to date…. 😯

rwamartin
    Free Member

A search of the Pilkington site doesn’t show anything similar. My parents have got this glass at home so I guess 60’s vintage is about right. Email the photo to Pilkington, they might have some suggestions.
    Rich.

crikey
    Free Member

It might be cheaper to buy a new door, but in another couple of years it might be a valuable antique!

matt_outandabout

in another couple of years it might be a valuable antique!

midlifecrashes
    igm

Bit of skip diving? Or the architectural reclamation people – house recyclers or whatever they’re called? Every house down your street probably had that door at one time – there must be a bit second hand and probably the right size.

crikey
    Free Member

midlifecrashes, that may just be it, I’ll get in touch with them tomorrow. Igm, another good suggestion, thank you.

althepal

Find a big place that replaces doors, youll find they chuck these out all the time. The glass isnt laminated and prob no one will make it like that anymore. A door merchant would be my bet.
    Had a similar problem and ended up just putting hardboard and some decorative trim round the edge because I couldnt find anywhere in Glasgow that could replace the glass.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

sourcing textured glass is a bastard. good luck. its easier to find medieval coloured glass

CountZero

The Macc Lads? The “rudest, crudest, lewdest, drunkest band in Christendom”
    Your mucky little secret is out! 😉

winston_dog
    Free Member

which then all got a bit Twin Towers

You mean you spent several days loosening all of the fittings on the bookcase before you moved it, then booted over the cd tower into the glass door, then blamed the Mrs?

Personally I would get a new door that ones awful. There’s a reason it’s discontinued.

spursn17
    Free Member

Please tell me that there’s a video of that lot hitting the deck 😆

PS; Macc Lads, impeccable taste sir.

globalti
    Free Member

Horrible old door. Chuck it out and fit one of these:

http://www.doorsworld.co/c/Internal_Glazed_Doors.htm

crikey
    Free Member

Yes, I noticed that the only identifiable CD was the Macc Lads…

All the classical music is hidden under the debris. I think it will be new door time, might buy one for Mrs Crikeys big present.

Wozza
    Free Member

which then all got a bit Twin Towers

I can’t help with the glass, but that made me laugh. Good luck.

crikey
    Free Member

Fixed and floored…

New door in the new year.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

MrPP also had this problem sat down too quickly with a cup of tea, knocked the ikea cd rack which missed the fish tank by millimeters, tea and cds everywhere. He was upset that he dropped his biscuit in the tea. We were fitting the kitchen at the time and next door heard a loud bang and scream (me not mrPP) to check we weren’t trapped under some kitchen units. The devastation in a matter of seconds were horrific. I was going to suggest trying a salvage yard for internal doors if you want to keep in tune with the 60’s style – not sure where you are based but there is one in reading near The Oracle that just does doors.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘No chance of an answer, but here goes…’ is closed to new replies.