Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Nissan Micra's – Any opinions
  • lunge

Mrs Lunge is about to pull the trigger on one, it is a 2009 with a 1.2l petrol engine.

She likes them as they are small, reasonably economical and she liked the way they drove, her old man likes them as he think is looks quite simple to work on and I like it as it is good value (cheap).

However, I know no one who owns one so whilst it looks like it fits the bill I don’t know whether I will get a huge repair bill in a years time or if there is anything obvious I should be wary off.

Harry_the_Spider

My Mother In Law has had one for a couple of years. Not heard of any trouble with it.

hora
    Free Member

My favourite Aunt has had one for a few years- only issue is electrics on hers.

09 – it’ll have the balance of warranty so you have some backup as well.

Milkie
    Free Member

They are pretty good, 57mph in 2nd gear, quite pokey for a 1.2! Mum has had them for 10+ years, and won’t change.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mum’s had three over the last 5 years, now on her 10′ plate and all have been an absolute joy* to own. SHe has a rather fetching gold one at the mo’, got no idea what model it is but it has an mp3/cd/satnav combo thingy and it’s a petrol.. I honestly can’t think if shes ever mentioned it in any conversation we’ve had.. Which means it’s Most Excellent.

*her words not mine.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Both my inlaws own them and this week my sister in law went and bought one. You cant go wrong and surprisingly fun to drive and be in. I’m likely to get one for my wife in the new year.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Wife and I had a 2007 one for 3 years. Nippy round town and not a thing wrong with it after about 50,000 miles except a few new light bulbs (which are a pain to fit unless you have the fingers of a dwarf).

Lacked a bit of grunt on the motorway, but quick enough except when I had two bikes on the back.

dan1980
    Free Member

There’s a problem with the power steering on some, not sure if it’s been fixed as Nissan didn’t want to own up to it when the exs one (54 plate) had a fault just out of warranty. £1k+ to fix

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My mums had 2 now in the last 10 years. Never had an issue. She is thinking of changing it in the new year for a Honda Jazz like her book club buddy has, which mum found to be ‘very nice’

MrsToast
    Free Member

I had an ’04 Micra, a 1.6 diesel one. It was fine for the first couple of years, then two weeks before the warranty expired it packed in. A load of electrics stuff had to be replaced in the engine, which would have cost just under £900 if we’d had to pay for it.

Sadly, that wasn’t the end of it. There were two recalls involving the central locking and ignition barrel. The EGR valve died. The rear wheel bearings went twice. The starter motor was replaced three times in two years. The wiper motor died. The ignition barrel had to be replaced two years after the recall. If we hadn’t have had the AA cover that pays for repairs to cover most of it, it would have cost us over £2000 over the years.

The car was regularly serviced, but completely died at five years of age, having done 74,000 miles. Admittedly that was partly the garages and our fault – I assumed they’d changed the cam belt on its last service as it was only two months and a few hundred miles off the recommended change by date in the service book, they didn’t because they weren’t told to.

The 03 – 07 diesel Micras are known to be the ropiest of the Micras – with the change from the old body shape they went into partnership with Renault, so they share a lot of the problems that the Megane had (ie dodgy EGR valves). Not sure whether the petrol Micras had the same issue, or whether the later Micras improved much.

carbon337
    Free Member

Old ones rule…

I got a 95 one for 270 quid went through 4 MOTs and came with 12 months of one. Never a bill for 5 years.

It died eventually when Mrs drove it through a massive flood sad to see the old lady go to the scrappy.

No idea on new ones.

maxlite
    Free Member

Don’t, terrible build quality, boot release has been changed 3 times, just not as well built as old pure Nissan Micras, get a Honda Jazz!

As Mrs Toast says above!

Klunk
    Free Member

he think is looks quite simple to work on

they can be a right nightmare to get parts for (though quite cheap if you can find the right part), they seem to change spec/designs on a yearly basis. Changing the oil filter is the muckiest job ever be prepare to get an armpit full of oil.

bigyinn
    Free Member

FIL has one, the bumpers push out easily enough when you clout it on the garage. 🙄
    Seats aren’t particularly supportive or remotely buckety, but for the the use has out of it its fine.
    Anyone want to buy an ’04 sky blue one as he’s been advised by his doctor to stop driving (80 in 2 weeks). But i doubt he will.

cp

we’ve got an early one of the frog eyed ones, though it’s a 1.0

Electrics are a bit dodgy. Nothing major so far, but the boot release randomnly packed up. interior lights are a bit patchy aswell & it has a habit of blowing bulbs.

build inside is pretty naff. lots of creaks, rattle etc… centre rear seat belt packed up recoiling.

Engine is chain cam, theoretically good until it gets low on oil (which is easy to do, as it burns a fair bit and the sump is TINY) and stretches.

An exhaust oxygen sensor has packed up but car runs fine without!

You get the feeling they were very much designed with ‘budget’ in mind. we had a previous shape one (the bubble) and they are much better made.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Oh, and if you acquire a 6ft 6 husband, he will bitch and moan constantly about leg room, and will knock the radio controls and hazard light with his right leg. Admittedly, it did take six months for the dents in his knees to disappear, so he might have had a point there. I think he was secretly quite pleased that it died…

stumpy01

I had a basic spec 1.2 for a few days while my car was in for bodywork repairs.
    It was a pretty good car & didn’t feel underpowered.

I had to take the car back as some of the stuff they did was a bit rubbish and they gave me the 1L version of the same car. It was underpowered in my opinion. The slightest gradient had you changing down to maintain speed.

I think the 1.2 did about 54mpg on my mainly A-road commute too, so was very economical.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Baked bean car — does what it says on the tin.

Our ’99 1.0 just gets on with being a workhorse and keeps on doing it with minimal input from us. The only problem we’ve had is the windows coming detached from their supports and failing to wind up again.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My mum has a ’53 plate, no problems aside from the ignition/locking recall mentioned above and normal servicing stuff.

I think it’s a bit noisy and feels like it lacks a bit of power. I know it’s only a Micra but the 1993 Micra it replaced which I inherited was far more nippy despite a smaller engine. Boot is tiny too.

Houns

My Nan gave me her 55 plate 1.2 auto when my last car died. It had 10000 on the clock.
    2 Years later and 38000 now on the clock it’s running fine. (there was an issue with the engine but this was due to Kwik Fit not the car)
    It’s a pleasure to drive about town, but as mentioned above, back support in the drivers seat isn’t great.
    The only area it lacks is when you want to make progress on A and B roads, though this is down to the Auto. Stick your foot down and count to 3 before anything happens, changes up a gear when you want the revs to stay where they are.

Be prepared for people to pull out in front of you, I get this quite a lot. Being a Micra they must think there’s an old biddy behind the wheel, they do get a surprise when then they realise they have misjudged my speed 🙂

Oh and after a brief stint in a New Corsa after she donated the car to me my Nan got a brand new shape Micra a couple of months ago

steelfan
    Free Member

Girlfriend and I have a 1.2SE on an 03 plate later style. Its a cracking little car! We drove it all the way to the Alps a couple of years ago fully loaded with two bikes in the back and a roof box! It never misses a beat and is reasonably cheap to service/insure. We do around 10k a year and get around 55mpg.

Klunk
    Free Member

yep has good boot size, especially if you take the rear seat back out all together (4 bolts). We managed to get 2 bikes, kit, spares, tools(park stand) and clothes for 2 for a weeks holiday.

fivespot
    Free Member

Noddy likes them, but big ears thinks they’re unool 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Nissan Micra's – Any opinions’ is closed to new replies.