Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • NIKON V CANNON
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The ‘build quality’ thing is interesting. People seem to think that light weight = poor quality, but it’s really not the case as we know with bikes. Olympus have tried hard to make their dSLRs as light and small as possible, and this is one of the main reasons I bought one. When I look at my camera with a lens equivalent to 300mm zoom on it, then look at other people’s lumps, I feel pretty happy with it! After all, I’m going to be taking it out biking. I put it in a small SLR bag and it can still go in my camelbak. Ok it’s a large camelbak, but not the rucksack kind – just a back pocket.

kudos100
    Free Member

Either is fine. Canon used to have the edge over Nikon, but in recent years there is not much in it.

An SLR is built around lenses and both companies make decent glass, as do some of the cheaper manufacturers (although quality control is not as good)

Spend money on a decent lens rather than loads on a body and shit glass.

RustySpanner

I agree, molgrips, but cameras aren’t bikes. The whole ‘lighter is better’ thing just doesn’t apply for most people when choosing photography stuff.

Conditioning? Yep, sadly I think so. Weight is inextricably linked with quality in many peoples minds (although of course the inverse seems to apply in cycling circles, in respect of both bikes AND riders).

I bought a Nikon D80 and find it just too big to take out on the bike – perhaps if I’d bought the Olympus I’d take it out more.

Instead, we use Ms Spanner’s small Olympus compact, which is totally weatherproof and gives pretty good picture quality.

If I was starting again with digital from scratch, I’d like to think I’d go Olympus, but I’m not sure I could overcome my prejudices.

Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve had a Canon 40D and now a Canon 7D – suppose I’d recommend Canon.

The one area where I think Nikon have an advantage is in the better ISO rendition. The higher end Nikon cameras get better reviews based on less noise and a better low light capability.

To be honest, there’s not much in it – both are very good at different price points throughout their respective ranges.

I did have an Olympus – but wouldn’t recommend Olympus, purely on the lack of choice of lens compared to the big two.
    Didn’t think the whole 4/3 rds thing was too well thought out – it appears it might be coming to an end – see internet rumours.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only problem I have with Olympus is lens choice really. The set of Zuiko lenses is brilliant, however that’s basically it in my price range. There’s not much second hand, and the third party manufacturers aren’t very interested (apart from one).

I’ll do fine with 4 of the Oly lenses, but I’d quite like a close-up macro and a fast f1.4 or f1.8 prime. They make a macro zoom lens but it’s £800, and the affordable primes are f2.8 – although they are the incredibly tiny pancake lenses which are ace due to their size 🙂

My camera with the pancake:

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t think the whole 4/3 rds thing was too well thought out

Why?

If they are stopping doing it, I’d better stock up on lenses. Where’s my credit card? 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Didn’t think the whole 4/3 rds thing was too well thought out – it appears it might be coming to an end – see internet rumours.

what rumours are they then? i can only find news on new products/lenses being released

Everywhen
    Free Member

Do you really need a DSLR? I’ve just bought an Olympus PEN E-PL1, and its fantastic. Essentially the guts from the E620 in a smaller package with no optical viewfinder.
    Small, light, very well put together and if you look on Ebay there are adaptors to attach pretty much any make of lens.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Money no object – Nikon D3

Real World – Canon 550D

Anywhwere in between – Free for all.

Everywhen
    Free Member

If 4/3rd is ending why have they just released the e5 DSLR?

grumm
    Free Member

Generally speaking:

It seems to me Canon lenses are a bit cheaper/more available s/h, Canon has better video, NIkon has better AF and high ISO performance.

AlexSimon

I bet the OP is really glad he asked.

To be honest, the OP didn’t give a lot of information on what he wanted to use it for or what his budget was, etc

There are some things that would definitely swing it one way or another for me. But in general I think I’m with the people who say it doesn’t really matter.

Denis99
    Free Member

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/09/olympus-to-end-43rds-lenses.html

When I had an Olympus E300 the noise issue was clearly apparent on certain high ISO images.

I liked the operation of the Olympus, and as said by other their lenses are very fine, it’s just the lack of choice really.

Canon and Nikon make their own high quality lens, plus good options from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc – just more choice really.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘NIKON V CANNON’ is closed to new replies.