Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nidderdale and the Dales
  • duir
    Free Member

Recently moved to Pateley Bridge from NE Scotland (forced relocation for new job). Had some of the best UK riding on my doorstep for years and years having lived in NE Scotland until last month and The Lakes before that.

My first rides around here have been fairly underwhelming, mostly land rover tracks and muddy fields. There must be some great riding nearby so any pointers would be great.

Any great natural rides would be great, I don’t expect the technical masterpieces of the Lakes or the Alpine style secret singletrack of Aberdeenshire but it would be nice to find some challenging stuff closer to home.

People who are going to say Stainburn or Gisburn need not apply. Absolutely nothing wrong with those venues which I will undoubtedly ride sometime but I want to locate the best local rides near Pateley.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much decent single track in that area.

Should ave moved to north Bradford, loads round here

duir
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much decent single track in that area.

Should ave moved to north Bradford, loads round here

Sadly, I had surmised as much. Luckily the longer term plan is to move back T’Lakes.

As for North Bradford, no thanks, moving this far south was hard enough wouldn’t want to go any further!

AngusWells

Get the OS map out, here we go, Corn Close, up Ashfold Side Beck to Providence House, Bewerley Moor, a bit of road past Stump Cross Caverns, Hall Hole, Dib Side, Appletreewick (the locals say Apptrick if you want to fit in), beer in the New Inn (used to be owned by mountain biker John Pitcher and had a beer menu rather than a sandwich menu), Tarn Moss, Pock Stones Moore, Carlhow Ridge, High House, Middle Tongue and home.

Not gnar, definitely xc but it’ll keep you entertained for an afternoon.

GregMay
    Free Member

Loads around there, you just need to know where to look.

There is a classic ride in the archive if you take a look.

ricky1
    Free Member

There are some nice routes around hetton and ingleton,the problem wi dales is the constant stopping to go through gates which can be annoying and probably not as baron and flowing as the lakes and scorlad,you been spoilt lad

jaylittle
    Free Member

When up there we tend to bike out of Lofthouse, theres a few nice loops from there but not a great deal of single track.

jate
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after, but there is the full range of tracks on many of which you will never see another person. Ideal area for long exploratory rides. Email in profile if you want more info.

bspoked
    Free Member

I’d call into Stif in Summerbridge and see what they recommend. I walked from Summerbridge up to Brimham Rocks, along to Pateley Bridge (via the Panorama), then up past the folly onto the moor, along Abraham crags? and back down through Dacre Banks to Summerbridge on Sunday. Most of it would be cheeky on a mountain bike, but there is some fun to be had there if you were up early enough…

Further up the valley is some good riding and even some nice singletrack if I remember rightly. On the lower route from Scar House to Lofthouse…

Ramsgill descent is supposed to be good. There was an old NPS DH track up there (remember Steve Peat pre-jumping the ski jump on the first race I ever watched up there), but I think it is off limits.

I will check out what the lads at Cycopath have built up at Gouthwaite farm this summer too.

martinhutch

Trouble is, Nidderdale is just a series of shooting estates, so the main ROWs will almost always be LR tracks. There are a couple of decent, fast bumpy descents on the ‘classic’ around from Scar House, but that may be too little for you on that circuit. Local knowledge and cheek is where you’ll find singletrack and variety in that area.

Elsewhere in the Dales, there is plenty of singletrack if you know where to look, but you obviously won’t find stuff on the scale of the Lakes.

Fantombiker

There is plenty. My SIL lives in Pateley and I always take my MTB when we visit. There are some great routes across a varied terrain with great views! Two basic ones, the first is as Angus Wells suggests, the second main one is a long loop up out towards Scar house res and back. I may have some gpx files if you want.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was never suggesting that there is not some nice riding in the Nidderdale area, but as the OP was specifically asking for Singletrack routes, there is not a great deal of that in the area, indeed most of the routes mentioned above have very little if any Singletrack.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nidderdale and the Dales’ is closed to new replies.