Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • which bike for general trail riding please.Horsethief,Anthem?
  • lexinoo
    Free Member

For use at Cannock,llandegla and similar trail centres.
    2013 salsa horsethief 3
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=5SA-2013Horse3&PHPSESSID=crljk7g3hj711bqo6l5c2tcnq2

2014 giant anthem 3 650b
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/150481/products/giant-anthem-27-5-3-2014-full-suspension-mountain-bike.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CO6sjq6AxbwCFesJwwodKk0A-A

both can be had for £1150 or what else should be considered for the same sort of money?

james
    Free Member

I think I’d try hone what sort of travel/angles/general level of gnarness you want, you might need to ride a few
    An Anthem as I understood is very much at the XCrace end of the spectrum, whereas the horsethief is more like the other end of the trail spectrum erring toward allmountain/endure
    Of course confusingly I’d reckon both would suit Cannock/llandegla etc, just giving differing emphasis’ to out and out pedalling or toward riding with more flair on the descenty bits

lexinoo
    Free Member

Thanks,so the 2010 trance that i already have ,sits somewhere in between the two then and is likely a better allrounder?.Trouble is it needs a load of money spending on it forks, rear wheel,drivetrain, etc so it hardly seems worth the bother when a brand new complete bike can be bought for not much more £.
    Also i am struggling to find a set of forks for it at a reasonable price ,as what was the normal just a few years ago seems to be almost extinct!
    1″1/8th non tapered steerer,120mm travel,9mm quick release.

AlexSimon

The Spearfish (also available cheap) is more like the Anthem.
    Someone who is normally not as quick as me at llandegla was chomping at my back wheel on his (fairly bling) horsethief. It irritated 🙂

lexinoo
    Free Member

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=5SA-2013Spear3
    Yes i had looked at them too,i thought the spec was a little better on the others for the same money? And the spearfish doesn’t look as nice-is the stem upside down?
    OK out of them,something else or spend the money on my old trance?

AlexSimon

Difficult to say. If weight was a priority, then you could probably get your Trance lighter, but it depends if you just fancy something new and shiney 🙂
    Whether the Anthem of Horsethief is really going to depend on priorities. XC and uphills versus steamrollering the downs.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The Anthem is a great bike for chucking round trail centres, don’t let the XC tag put you off and make you think it’s only any good at mike munching.

lexinoo
    Free Member

:lol:Thanks but i just want a decent all round mountain bike for trail centres,i want nothing to do with munching this mike fella!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Pmsl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘which bike for general trail riding please.Horsethief,Anthem?’ is closed to new replies.