• This topic has 36 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Nice Steel XC Hardtails – Suggestions please!
  • lycramike
    Free Member

Hi, I'm just after some idea's as to a nice steel hardtail for xc, some touring and a bit of everything really. Something that is nice and will last a looong time.

I've been thinking: pace, rocky mountain blizzard, indy fab deluxe (drool)…

You lot got any other suggestions I could look at? I'm about to get a new Trek 8500 warranty replacement frame but might consider selling it for something with a bit more longevity and character…

Mike

charliedontsurf

Salsa ala carte. New one is very nice and around £575 f&f

nickc

geometry first. steel-schmeel. Get one that fits.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

how much travel do you need/want?

I'd be tempted by an Explosif, just for old times sake.

Jamie
    Free Member

Rock Lobster 853. Lovely bike and good value as well.

Simonofthepiemans
    Free Member

I just brought myself a Genesis Altitude 30 and love it. Nice geometry with a slightly slacker head tube. The kit's good and I'm hoping the frame itself will last a lifetime. There's eyes for panniers and what not if you ever fancy turning it into a tourer. It's a real do all bike and it looks beautiful.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/altitude/altitude-30/overview/

shortcut

Get Curtis to build you something.

Or – an Orange P7 should do the job nicely (just thinking of bosses and stuff really.

Hobster
    Free Member

Salsa a la carte with rigid forks

nickc

I'd be tempted by an Explosif, just for old times sake.

Only bike I've ever been disappointed with, rode one, was desperate for it to be "just so" and in fact it was dull and un-involving.

mike_p
    Free Member

Whyte 19, was looking over one yesterday, very nice (apart from the SRAM gears, but that's easily fixed)

coopersport1
    Free Member

I always end up back on my P7 for stuff like that, think it's mid to late 90's one before slidy droputs, 100mm reba up front, non of the extra burly reinforcing they've put on them now, just rides nice all day.

corroded
    Free Member

I've had a Blizzard for five or so years and still think it's fantastic. The frames are quite pricy now but you sometimes find them on sale. They have a slightly shorter TT so the riding position is a bit more upright but I find the geometry is perfect for the riding I like to do: tight, twisty, fast singletrack. Mine has rack mounts (check if they still do) and I've taken mine touring across Sri Lanka and it was very comfortable. Can't fault it and the paintjob is superb.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I got a blizzard frame from Wiggle half price some months ago and am very happy with it, but would consider it a silly amount of money at full price.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just checked the current price of Blizzard frames on Wiggle – £870!!
    WTF?? They were £650 last year.

senorj

My new p7 is lovely.
    you can ride it all day and it soaks up all the abuse the trail can give.
    After riding either an ali htail or my ful suss for years,
    now , after riding the p7, my body(back ache etc) feels as though it's been on the full suss.
    they are pricey though and I was suprised how heavy a steel bike was.
    but once it gets going….crikey.top fun.

corroded
    Free Member

They were £650 last year.

Not sure if I'd even pay that, tbh, when a complete Genesis Altitude is a grand with Maxle-equipped Rebas.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On-One inbred?

Sanderson (similar geometry to one one, but more expensive and better looking)

Or if your 5'10" or under look at postie rich's sunn enduro?

donks
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade…good value frame and can be set up SS with ease.

dickydutch

Something from enigma.

Daffy

Indy fab (which I own) then Pace 104 (which a mate owns) in Morris blue.

2* top class frames seperated by £800!

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Kinesis Decade for the value 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

anything but a Kona Explosif, its an On One Inbred (basic cromoly) at Cotic Soul (853) prices. Lots of far better value choices many of them already listed (kinesis, Genesis, or a Cotic Soul given the prices of the frame's youve mentioned).

Im sure the blizzard was being blown out by the mail order usual suspects a while ago, winstanleys have the 2009 in 18" for £520.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/25032/Rocky_Mountain_Blizzard_Frame_2009

Candodavid
    Free Member

Love my 853 Curtis, old school geometry with slightly longer TT, never fails to put a grin on my face whilst i'm riding it.

Gary is quiet at the moment too

mendip
    Free Member

You can get a brand new Genesis Altitude 30 frame with Reynolds 853 tubing for £375, excellent value and frame is cherry red.

I have one myself and love it, great finish and the paint is pretty strong.

No need to look for others, the Altitude will tick all your boxes.

Simonofthepiemans
    Free Member

As above.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Cotic Soul – No question, just buy!

foxyrider
    Free Member

The Kinesis Decade Prestige Virsa above is £314!

lycramike
    Free Member

cheers guys, some nice ideas above. At the moment I'm leaning towards a second hand blizzard (I'm not prepared to pay the full current retail for one!) or leaving it until next year and maybe splashing out on an indy fab, we'll have to see! It say's on their site $1600 ish for the frame, does anyone know what the real world price would be after custom tubing/paint/options etc? It would have to be a long long term investment!

packer
    Free Member

Charge Duster?
    Tange Prestige tubing.
    Current model is chunky looking and next years in incredibly skinny – take your pick.

soobalias
    Free Member

built up a pine mountain (columbus) for the missus – really nice
    not sure marin still make them tho.

AlexSimon

Tim at Sideways Cycles will give you a current price for the Indy Fab.
    http://www.sidewayscycles.co.uk

It was £1250 when I bought mine (plus £200 for prismatique and silver headbadge).
    But that was when the dollar was weaker against the pound.

At significantly less than that:
    UK Made: Enigma or 18bikes
    Taiwanese: Pace 104 for classy looks or Soul for geometry.
    American: Spooky Horror Taxi?
    Fully built bike: Saracen Kili Flyer, Genesis Alpitude.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member
    MisterT

as he said earlier – something from Enigma. ErgoST or Element

http://www.enigmabikes.com/egost.html

http://www.enigmabikes.com/element.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Over a grand on a steel frame!

Go see Dave Yates, at least then you can tell people you built it!

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I've had a few steel hardtails over the years – currently riding a sanderson life with 100mm reba's . Used it for XC racing,enduro stuff like mayhem,12 hour solo etc. bit of touring -Cuba and some UK stuff – andjust general dicking about on. Can't fault it – last time I was in love with a bike so much was back in the early 90's when I got my first clockwork (which is now my SS).

tombell1989
    Free Member

Michael, you do not want a steel frame!

PJay
    Free Member

There's a steel bike test in this month's (September) What Mountain Bike, top marks went to the R853 Pipedream Sirius.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Nice Steel XC Hardtails – Suggestions please!’ is closed to new replies.