Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Nice ice climbing vid – Cairngorms
  • boxelder

A lad I used to teach has become a pretty handy ‘enduro Alpinist’ and here’s a video of him doing some ‘cragging’ recently.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/35566700[/video]

If anyone is around Keswick/Cockermouth, he’s doing a slideshow/presentation on Wed 15th Feb in Cockermouth (for charity).
    mail me if interested (£7.50 with pie and peas……bar too…)

jimmy

Nicely done. Was that recently? Looks suitably lean enough… (the route, not yer man).

EDIT: I see now…

doing some ‘cragging’ recently.

highclimber
    Free Member
    ton

bloody scary stuff that…………nice tho. 8)

jimmy

I reckon I saw his ring twitch at ~1:10. Mine would have anyway.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m still a relative noob in ice climbing, so that video just made me both excited and scared 🙂

It’s amazing how controlled and smooth guys like that are, I find it much harder to get any sort of rhythm going compared to rock, really impressive stuff – thanks for posting!

alfabus
    Free Member

not really ice climbing – that is scottish mixed (and all the more impressive for it)

I never got on with dry tooling; was happy with axes in ice, well consolidated snow or frozen turf, but not skitting around on rocks unless there was a good torque to be had.

I’m going to send this to my old climbing mate; he will then get predictably psyched and head off to scotland 🙂

Dave

boxelder

Will has done some impressive stuff on bigger mountains – including a sub 15hr ascent of the Cassin Ridge on Denali. Great camera work by Jon Griffith

[video]http://vimeo.com/27572347[/video]

tazzymtb

looks ace, loved winter mixed routes, free standing ice columns scare the bejeezus out of me though

globalti
    Free Member

I climbed a frozen waterfall in Scotland once; when I reached the top I discovered that it had detached itself from the rock and was wobbling by about an inch back and forth. Ooops.

Sandwich

There was a great picture series in Alpinist a couple of years ago with some chap on an ice column which collapses in a cloud of particles. The climber was ok but a very impressive looking fall.

Pieface

Pre-placed gear at 44 seconds and use of knees 🙄

boxelder

Pre-placed gear at 44 seconds and use of knees

What are you posting about? There’s no pre-placed gear – at 44”, he removes an axe he’s placed earlier (on an edited section of film). Using knees in the 21st C, on a test piece mixed climb is like wiping your nose on your glove’s thumb towel while cycling – Victorians would disapprove, but …….. why?

RustySpanner

Will did an after dinner talk for our climbing club last year.
    Top lad, very modest, funny and inspiring.

boxelder

Pre-placed gear at 44

Take it back – you’re right. The gear was left by a team who failed due to high wind the week before.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This one sandwich? Pete Thexton’s near miss

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Nice ice climbing vid – Cairngorms’ is closed to new replies.