Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Nexus 7 2012 owners – this might help
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

If your tablet is laggy, try clearing your cache partition…

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-13919

jonba
    Free Member

Did it and mine is still laggy.

Freester

5.0.2 is rolling out. My mate got the OTA update and it seems to have sorted his Nexus out.

Simon

I’ve held back with the lollipop upgrade until this week. I’ve installed 5.0.2 as I thought it would be sorted by now.
    It’s not. It’s slow and Chrome keeps crashing.
    Cleared the cache but no better!

kayak23

Mine is pretty much unusable now. I also changed to a new battery but still, it barely charges. Takes about 6.5 hours for a full charge which won’t last long at all.

It’s laggy, it constantly crashes on Dolphin browser and I got sick of it.

Day before yesterday I gave up and went to PC World where I picked up an Asus Memo Pad 8 for £139.99 with £50 trade in on your old tablet, which makes it £90…

The new one works really well, no lag. Resolution is not quite as good as the Nexus in close up photos but more than adequate for most tableting…
    Bigger screen is nice too for watchin’ telly…

PC World offer here…

smokey_jo

Upgraded to 5.0.2 here on my 2012. Lag is no worse than 4.4.2. Removing Facebook and all publications from the google newstand app has improved things. I can only assume these these do a lot of background work….

zippykona

I did the factory reset as recommended on here. It now works fine.
    Tried the cache first and it made no difference.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

After a cache partition wipe and hard factory reset I think – I hope – that it’s finally fixed.

andyl
    Free Member

Asda are selling off the 2013 models for £50 if you can find a store with stock.

iainc

I sold mine and bought a Hudl 🙂

Cougar

Just an update on this.

The initial Lollipop killed my Nexus 7, utterly unusable. The 5.0.2 update made it a lot better, I thought it was fixed at first but it was still problematic. Sometimes it was fine, sometimes it was terrible. In particular, it was lagging like a plumber for ages if I’d had to reboot it. Cache cleaning made no difference.

But, after a lot of cocking about and trial and error, I believe I’ve isolated the cause, on mine at least.

And it’s… *drumroll*… the Facebook app. Uninstall it and it’s slicker than greased squirrel shit, put it back on and it all goes to custard again.

Try it, let us know how you get on?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

After the 5.0.2 update and the factory restore mine is pretty much back to its old self. No facebook or yahoo apps though.

paladin

Mine died when I did the latest update. Phoned google, they said do a factory reset, that seemed to work for a while, then died again. Phoned Asus, they told me to clear the cache, that’s improved it, but still not as good as originally.
    Off to get rid of FB now 🙂

Ta cougar!

cookeaa

5.0.2 here for a couple of weeks it really hasn’t sorted things out, periodically it will run OK. Then lag like a bastard, power off, clear cache, still runs slow, but later it might speed up a bit… Getting close to just doing a factory reset now…

Simon

I’ve done a factory reset on mine and it’s still paying up.
    Just uninstalled Facebook, see if that improves it.

cookeaa

Ooooh, FB unistalled, I shall see if that improves things…

Battery performance likely to improve?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mine’s the same, as is my other halfs – was absolutely faultless before the upgrade – went straight to 5.0.2 and totally trashed it. up to a minute for keyboard to pop up, any browser crashes after 5 minutes and if any flash is involved it locks up. Useless paperweight now. What I find odd is that Google seem to be completely pretending it isn’t happening.

ell_tell
    Free Member

My 2012 Nexus 7 was starting to get a bit laggy running on kit kat. I resisted the OTA update to 5.0.2 for a while but after clearing the cache partition a few times and carrying out a factory reset I decided to bite the bullet and install 5.0.2.

Initial impressions were pretty good and it was generally running a bit better than on kit kat, although at times it does struggle, with say several tabs in Chrome. I shall try uninstalling the Facebook app though to see if that makes any difference.

I also noticed that my WiFi setting to switch off when device is in sleep had reset to the default always on mode. I guess this happened during the factory reset, so I have reverted back and noticed a marked improvement in battery life.

llama

Switched to using firefox instead of chrome and it is much better especially if you install plugins that must not be named

dawson

my daughter’s is really struggling at the moment – tried clearing the cache and its not much better, so thinking of doing a factory reset…

//slight hijack//

However…

She has the ‘paid for’ version of Minecraft, will she have to buy it again, or will it automatically come down again from the store?

Will she lose her stuff from the game or can you export/save it somehow?

EDIT: just found this http://www.howtogeek.com/202591/how-to-backup-your-minecraft-worlds-mods-and-more/ which has some instructions on how to back up Android version of Minecraft

//end hijack

thanks

roger_mellie

5.0.2 made no improvement, bloody awful lag on chrome, esp when it was trying to sync with email. Took the plunge and did a factory reset, all apps were reinstalled OK and photos etc were backed up already. Much less hassle than I thought and now runs as it was before lollipop-gate. Had previously removed FB app because I thought it was dragging it down.

Edit – no paid-for apps/ games on mine.

paladin

Uninstalled FB, performance still poor.
    Have just now done a factory reset, cache cleared, and only installed a few apps (not FB).
    So far so good!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Switched to using firefox instead of chrome and it is much better especially if you install plugins that must not be named

I found firefox caused crashes on both my Samsung phone and my tablet – binned it.

mm93
    Free Member

Well I uninstalled Facebook from mine last night and it has made a big difference ,so cheers for that ?.
    I hope it improves the charging time too as it sometimes takes 12 hrs or more!

cookeaa

Unistalled FB, and some other apps, no discernable improvement TBH… think I’ll make sure anything useful is backed up and do a factory reset tonight shame really…

paladin

4 days in after reset and cache-clearing and NOT installing FB app, and all appears to be good! Can still use FB on the browser so no problem there 🙂

cookeaa

That was a factory reset paladin?

What version of android has it taken you back to? kitkat or earlier?

Didn’t get round to doing it last night, battery was on about 6% and not charging so I left it… but I need to sort the bastard thing out now…

paladin

Yep.

Still on 5.0.2 , I think its just user data and files and settings which get wiped, but OS stays same.

this is worth a read too

cookeaa

Finally did the Factory reset last night, took the opportunity to cull a few more apps too, 5.0.2 now seems to be running well and battery performance is back to acceptable levels.

Does seem to be the only way, might just do a periodic reset from here on regardless, 2.5 years of under maintenance does have an impact…

theotherjonv

Binned mine, got a recon hudl off eBay for £50, very happy!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Another update on this.

Android 5.1 seems to be available OTA.

I downloaded last it night for my Nexus 7 (2012 version) and so far so good. Seems much slicker and faster than when it was running 5.0.2 so theres is hope for anyone that persevered with their 2012 N7.

jonba
    Free Member

Did people ever get them working again. I use facebook so want to keep it.

5.1 didn’t seem to do much. I’m thinking of going back to lollipop whatever it was called v4 if it is possible. Tablet is lagging so much that I am using the PC even after boot up it can be quicker than faffing with the tablet.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

mine works perfectly these days, and has done for a good while. but without the FB app. i never bothered reinstalling it, and don’t miss it on the tablet.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Mine works, though can be laggy on occasions, even after the latest 5.1 uodate. I read there’s a 5.1.1 update on the way. Whether or not we get it, and if if finally fixes what they broke; who can say?

If your ’12 is still happy on JB or KK then my advice to you is not to update until this mess is finally sorted.

jonba
    Free Member

So mine never got better and I was looking at buying a new one. Before I spent any money I though I’d have a play rooting it and installing a different ROM.

Eventually got round to installing Cyanogenmod and it seems to have perked up considerably. Definitely useable in a way it wasn’t before. Well worth it if you are still struggling.

There are guides on how to install it if you google. Pretty straight forward. I don’t know much about Android and rooting things but I managed just watching you tube videos and googling a few bits.

mark90
    Free Member

Mine was grinding to a halt so I tried rooting and TRIMing the file system (after some googling of the issues and solutions). Process of rooting included a factory reset, which might also have helped. Still running stock 5.1.1, but running much much better than before. I have a usable tablet again. Still haven’t loaded all my apps back on yet, that might slow it down again, so I’m being selective in what is loaded back on.

iainc

I sold mike on Ebay for £40 and bought a Hudl 🙂 and the battery on it is now done, so waiting for a new ebay battery 🙁

keen on a new tablet, but given that they only seen to last 2 yrs max, I wont be spending over £150 on one.

Cougar

For me it was the latest update (5.1.1 IIRC), the removal of the Facebook app and clearing of caches which finally made it usable again. It’s still a little laggy and takes an eon to boot, but it’s not the paperweight it was.

TBH, out of that lot it was FB that made the biggest difference.

mark90
    Free Member

I never even had FB installed on mine. 5.1.1 and frequent cache clearing and it was still a frustratingly slow PoS till I rooted and TRIMed it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 7 2012 owners – this might help’ is closed to new replies.