Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Newer car, thoughts?
  • LMT
    Free Member

Tbh I know bugger all about cars, got my last one a couple of years ago and its time to change it as ive had enough of it.

Basically run a 1.4 petrol engine and its lousy uphill with the bikes on the back it just struggles. That big hill climb on the way to CYB and Scotland it doesn’t want to play.

Day to day I don’t use the car at all, its just a 40 mile run to Cannock once a week, then once a month a run to wales and Scotland 3 times a year if im lucky. Before someone says hire a car, I need to have one due to family commitments and you never know when I might need it.

I used to run a little citreon 1.6 petrol which was great, but too small. So I after some advice is a 1.6 diesel the solution? was looking at a DS3 or last gen of Focus? or a bigger petrol engine? due to the amount of time it will just sit on a driveway?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Petrol everytime with those low mileages

I_Ache
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t do many miles at all so a petrol engine is what you want. There is only one car I have been in that didn’t feel underpowered on that big hill on the way to CyB and that had 250bhp so probably a bit overkill.

My Mk2 Focus 1.6 (115) was plenty for most driving and was alright up that hill. It was very comfortable and handled well. I could get 3 bikes and people in with kit. If I was buying it again I would have got a bigger engine and the estate. Mine had a bigger boot than a colleagues Mk2.5 due to mine having a space saver and his having a full size spare.

BTW I had a C-Max with the 1.6 diesel (116) and hated the engine. It was plenty powerful enough but the power delivery was horrible compared to the Focus I had before.

rickmeister

If that’s all you use the car for, maybe something like an older touran or sharan… Loads of space with the seats out, loads about to choose from, petrol or diesel. Basically a car vith van possibilities…

LMT
    Free Member

I don’t do many miles at all, when I got the current car it had 22,000 on the clock I’ve had it 2 years and its only gained another 4k, tbh for city driving and Cannock to and from its an ok car, the bigger trips it just feels massively underpowered, i was just looking at Fiesta’s but the biggest engine is a 1.25 for one 2 years old locally to me, that’s why i was looking at the focus, but surely that’s buying a bigger car that will be slower due to the size/weight?

I do want something newer, as plan not to change it for a few years, really don’t mind adding a towbar as I have a thule bike rack, one of the reasons im looking at the fiesta as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

You are a prime candidate for a 2 litre petrol Mondeo.

I used to have one when I had similar driving habits to you. And I’d get another one if I wasn’t allowed a van any more.

Or a Focus if I wanted a smaller car (we actually have a Fiesta now but it’s a bit too small for what you want IMO).

shifter
    Free Member

Big petrol that already has some miles on it. At 2000 miles per year you’ll soon bring the average down.

timber

If there is no need for it to be small, a big estate car with a big engine will be a nice drive and they depreciate pretty hard due to everyone wanting diesels now. Mondeo as above, Honda Accords, Volvo V70 T5.
    Bigger cars are generally just a bit better built than small ones and have better sound deadening and levels of comfort.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What’s your budget? There is this fiesta that isn’t too far from you, is only a 1.0 but it is Ford’s new small 3 cylinder turbo engine. It has plenty of power while still being economical. 125bhp with free road tax and a real world 50+mpg.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Approved-used-cars/Cars?eUsedCmd=vehicleDetail&vid=2565041&dealer=72499AA&id=2

I_Ache
    Free Member

Or a bit cheaper and with a bit less power but the same engine.

http://m.ford.co.uk/Approved-used-cars/Cars?eUsedCmd=vehicleDetail&vid=2482971&dealer=72418BA&id=5

mindmap3
    Free Member

What’s your budget? There is this fiesta that isn’t too far from you, is only a 1.0 but it is Ford’s new small 3 cylinder turbo engine. It has plenty of power while still being economical. 125bhp with free road tax and a real world 50+mpg.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Approved-used-cars/Cars?eUsedCmd=vehicleDetail&vid=2565041&dealer=72499AA&id=2

That Fiesta won’t get anywhere near 50mpg.. Ford’s figures are fiction more than most. The hateful diesel Fiesta that I have barely gets anymore than that against a claimed 67. It’s also nasty inside. I know you do t do many miles, but the Fiesta isn’t a nice place to sit and most of the plastics are pretty nasty. I’m e hasn’t worn too well either with regards to having bikes slung in the back.

I’d get something with a bigger engine and wouldn’t be too concerned about fuel consumption for your mileage. You’ll probably get more car for your money too as most people in this country buy cars on fuel economy and VED costs.

LMT
    Free Member

Cheers, yep the ecoboost might be the solution, any pitfalls of having one of these??

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll probably get more car for your money too as most people in this country buy cars on fuel economy and VED costs.

Good point this.

My wife insisted on a small car, you get much less for your money than with medium and large cars.

And it is indeed a bit tiring for long journeys and a bit lightweight for motorway driving.

breadcrumb

With the little mileage that you do I’d be looking at a decent sized petrol engine. I wouldn’t get hung up VED either.

I bet there isn’t as much weight difference between a Fiesta and a Focus as you think.

Does it have to be a newer car?

hora
    Free Member

OP drop down the gears. Don’t go up in 4th etc. Its a petrol- designed to be revved!

LMT
    Free Member

Yep hadn’t thought about doing that……….

hora
    Free Member

Unless its heavy? I drove a 3cyl 1.0 more than adequately for 18mnths.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mindmap the 1.0 ecoboost has a claimed of 65 so 50 isn’t entirely unrealistic. My focus has a claimed of 40 and I get 28-30 out of it and you know how I drive. I used to get around 50 from the happy bus and that was the 115 version of your engine.

For only 2000 miles a year I could put up with something a bit crappy. Granted I would rather something a bit nicer and bigger but if funds are limited there are worse places to sit for a 5 hour drive.

hora
    Free Member

I hired a 1.0 ecoboost fiesta. Lovely engine but I got c30mpg av.

I_Ache
    Free Member

30mpg?!!! How the **** were you driving?

I have a Focus ST and that has twice the power from an engine double the size and I get 28mpg driving reasonably quickly down country roads.

hora
    Free Member

Hire car. It felt really nice to rev (genuinely)

I bet easily the twin air Fiat engine is the same. You could do good mpg but in reality you default to nippy due to cheekiness

garage-dweller

For 2000 miles a year I would personally put up with it being slow on one journey a month and spend the saving on bike stuff. If I did that journey 5 times a week I might feel differently.

timc
    Free Member

2k a year? not worth swapping unless you plan to get out a lot more often to CYB etc.

hora
    Free Member

Shirley a typo? 2,000miles a year I wouldn’t bother.

wilburt
    Free Member

Your not going to Cannock every week, Wales once a month and Scotland 3 times a year and only doing 2k mileage.

hora
    Free Member

If you are genuinely only doing 2k.

Find a Golf V6 4motion.

wilburt
    Free Member

More like 6k so an economical diesel with low car tax will save you c.600 per year and pull up the hills nicely.

takisawa2

Find a different route to CyB… 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Newer car, thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.