Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • New XTR what's the point?
  • mashiehood
    Free Member

I have gone 11 speed shimano XTR with the cassette, some very mucky rides and the shifting was spot on. Agreed, I would have bought the XX1 cassette if I had known the weight of the XTR, but I ordered it back in April for a bargain price!

Northwind

njee20 – Member

Shimano aren’t trying to beat SRAM with XX1, they’re offering a broader solution

All they have to add to the range is one slightly different cassette though, and they’ll half the gap with SRAM and widen their market. It’s weird.

neilforrow – Member

Northwind / njee20 – are you running an XD driver / Sram cassette and XTR 11 speed set up?

Nah, all scabby old stuff. But if I was doing a new drivetrain today, XTR on SRAM would be a definite contender.

njee20
    Free Member

All they have to add to the range is one slightly different cassette though, and they’ll half the gap with SRAM and widen their market. It’s weird.

Mmm, but that’s what I mean – they’re not trying to compete with SRAM, they’ve got the angle of “none of the nasty gaps you get in our competitors cassette”, which appeals to the likes of Solarider. It’s about being more different.

I agree it seems odd on the face of it, but XX1 can’t have caught them by surprise, so M9000 is different by design, not by accident.

deviant
    Free Member

The weight is a non issue for me. It’s a matter of grams on a FS that weighs circa 30lbs already, always amusing when people fret over small weight differences when they’ve willingly changed from a normal seat post to a heavier dropper post, gone to wider (and usually heavier) bars, chucked 100ml of gunk in each tyre to run tubeless and strapped everything but the kitchen sink to their backs to go for a ride….but yeah, a slightly heavier cassette makes all the difference!

As njee has said, the XTR cassette looks more refined with closer ratios. That appeals to me more and I’ll take that over a 42t on the SRAM item…also bear in mind that mainland Europe hasn’t got our obsession with 1 x whatever and a 40t XTR on a nice big double and bash will probably sell more units on the continent than a ‘rad to the gnar’ 42t sprocket does in the UK.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

can anybody explain why no one will make a 10sp 10-42 cassette,i know there is a reason i just dont know what the reason is. 😳

Northwind

SRAM and Shimano didn’t do it because they want you to buy a new drivetrain. Much less incentive for them to release backwards compatible stuff. A few small suppliers produced some

(if that sounds cynical- Shimano insisted their 9-speed mechs couldn’t possibly do 11-36, right up until the day they released an 11-36 cassette for 9-speed. But they still kept it to the heavy-as-a-brick deore cassette, because offering a light one would have discouraged people from buying 10-speed)

njee20
    Free Member

Leonardi do a 9-42, there’s reference to a 10-42 on various sites, but can’t see one for sale.

nickc

It’s potentially quite a shrewd move.

I agree, none of the development cost of that cassette that SRAM have had to bear, and a massive amount of flexibility for riders from every sort of niche and country’s fashion. Isn’t Germany the largest European market for MTB? I wonder what Shimano vs SRAM sales are like there, I’m not certain the Germans are massively keen on single rings are they?

deviant
    Free Member

The Germans favour double chainsets as far as I’m aware.

Northwind

nickc – Member

I agree, none of the development cost of that cassette that SRAM have had to bear, and a massive amount of flexibility for riders from every sort of niche and country’s fashion.

Except it’s not. I don’t really get this- like I say, they literally had to add one cassette size, in order to massively widen the appeal and prevent internet experts going “dur”. And it’s not like that tests their resources, how many different cassettes do they make currently? Instead they’ve decided to reduce their target market.

I really don’t see what they gain by that but it’s obvious what they lose.

plus-one

Jeez guys that’s not the spirit !!!!! It doesn’t need to have a point it’s shiny and its new and looks bit different to the old stuff 😆

oliverracing

I’m very tempted with the idea of a 2×11 XTR with XX1 cassette hybrid (probably a 26-36 on the front) – The range of a triple, but the smooth/fast shifting of a double!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the cranks to arrive in the country.

Got everything else ready to go.

Still unsure what crankset ratio to order for a 29er (double)

MM

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

njee20 – Member
    they’ll capture more of the OEM market

Not convinced that’s the case, SRAM 1×11 is everywhere on new bikes[/quote]

I would imagine they will take a big chunk out of the top end market where the only competitive options for the last years product cycle were XX1+rockshox.

XTR Di2 + the new fox’s would get my money if budget wasnt a concern.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

cheers. it sounds as its just marketing then, off to the shed for tinkering time with a hammer and grinder

sillyoldman

36/26 Double Race and Trail are both in stock in 175mm.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Where’s that?

daver27
    Free Member

In response to the OP’s original question, the point is that it’s bloody awesome, far nicer to use than anything SRAM have ever made and it’s nicer to use than the 10speed stuff Shimano make. Simple

chestrockwell

As per the OP’s original question:

a) It’s not Sram.

b) It means Shimano have an 11sp cassette to sell to those that seem to think it very important.

The end.

If I had the cash I’d be going XTR over XX1 or whatever it’s called all day long.

Anonymous
    Free Member

with the 16t cog a conversion doesn’t have a gap

The gap is bloody irritating for me as the shift in gaps goes 2,3,3,2,3. I find those bold 3’s extremely annoying

A 10 speed XTR 42t cassette is lighter than 11 speed shimano as well.

Well the 11-36XTR is 270g and the hope 40t is 74g. You take a tiny cog out which might weigh 10g leaves a net 334g which is same as the XTR 11-40 at 330g.

I’m currently wrestling with whether to go 1×11 with M9000 shifter, mech and XX1 cassette. I can get the range I need with a 30t front but the 17% jump from 42t to 36t is a potential deal breaker. Longest climb I did in 2014 was 345m and I remember being grateful for smaller cadence jumps on that. I think the approx. 1/2lb of weight saving doesn’t make up for cadence issues.

For doing really long distance on my Spearfish the M9000 34/24 front makes a lot of sense paired with an XTR 10speed 11-34 cassette if you can run 10speed chains on M9000 rings

mtbel
    Free Member

OMG! How on earth did you lot cope before this non-problem arose? 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Good contribution, well done. Are you gonna post that on every single thread?

sillyoldman

MM – Madison.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New XTR what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.