Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • New XTR what's the point?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Can someone tell me the point of the new XTR. It has no advantages over 10 speed :/

The cassette is heavier than a sram 1080 with a 42t cog.

Northwind

I think the advantage is that you can put it on a SRAM 11-speed cassette. Otherwise, I am mystified. They didn’t even make an 11-42.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

+1 Northwind.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think shimano should have released new 10 speed mechs and 11-42t cassettes. They would have cashed in, instead the likes of One Up are.

shortcut

Why do you need a 42 tooth sprocket? It’s working fine for me with a standard free hub body. Mech is lower profile and cassette isn’t black.

ratherbeintobago

IMHO the big advance with 2015 XTR isn’t the mechanical group (which they’re still pushing as 2×11/3×11, hence smaller range) but the electronic one.

br
    Free Member

Why do you need a 42 tooth sprocket?

To get up stuff that you can’t with a 40 tooth…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If XTR was available now & I didn’t have SRAM i’d run Shimano, given the choice.

The smaller range on the cassette is a bit of a non issue. If you’re spending all your time in the big ring on the back you should probably stick to a double anyway.

traildog
    Free Member

Can someone tell me the point of the new XTR. It has no advantages over 10 speed :/

I’m mystified by this question. It has 11 gears and therefore has the advantage of not having an annoying gap in the gearing when riding along the canal.

It may well be heavier but then probably isn’t made of cheese.

njee20
    Free Member

Happy with my hybrid set up as per Northwind’s comment, works very well.

Shimano aren’t trying to beat SRAM with XX1, they’re offering a broader solution, they’ll capture more of the OEM market and other areas where people just don’t want single ring. This forum isn’t wholly representative of global mountain bike buyers. It’s potentially quite a shrewd move.

honourablegeorge

njee20 – Member

they’ll capture more of the OEM market

Not convinced that’s the case, SRAM 1×11 is everywhere on new bikes

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

most new bikes have the option of XTR or XX1, it’s the customers choice.

scotroutes

They really don’t.

AlexSimon

No, I’m not convinced either.
    If you can afford XTR, then the one downside of the sram system (cassette cost) isn’t going to worry you.
    I think XTR will sell poorly.

You might think that we’re not representative of the market, but at the XTR level, I think we probably are.

deviant
    Free Member

11-40 cassette seems fine to me and I’ll take Shimano over SRAM every time, hope it filters down to XT at some point.

AlexSimon

I’ll take Shimano over SRAM every time

Me too, but for the moment that’s going to have to be XT with a 42t extender and hacked cage. Silly Shimano.

amedias
    Free Member

You might think that we’re not representative of the market, but at the XTR for posing in the trailcentre carpark level, I think we probably are

I think you overestimate STW’s demographic, in the actually using XTR for lots and lots of riding and racing all over the world area I think STW is very poorly represented.

Macavity
    Free Member

uselesshippy
    Free Member

But, it goes up too eleven…..

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed. And single ring still isn’t as prolific in mainland Europe or Asia, which are huge markets.

I’m surprised Shimano didn’t make xt and SLX 11 speed at the same time, as they have with 9 and 10, that would’ve given them more ground. I still can’t see it being a mistake for them, although I personally wouldn’t buy a whole XTR groupset.

neilforrow

Northwind / njee20 – are you running an XD driver / Sram cassette and XTR 11 speed set up?

For me, one of the major benefits of the shimano solution is the ability to use a normal freehub, and the block is made out of a variety of materials to extent life. It should last a lot longer than the Sram offering.

njee20
    Free Member

Northwind / njee20 – are you running an XD driver / Sram cassette and XTR 11 speed set up?
    For me, one of the major benefits of the shimano solution is the ability to use a normal freehub, and the block is made out of a variety of materials to extent life. It should last a lot longer than the Sram offering.

I am yes, XX1 cassette/chain/chain ring, XTR mech and shifter. You’re wrong about the cassette though – XTR uses ti on the larger sprockets to save weight, but it’s softer and less durable than steel (hence it’s only used on the largest sprockets). XTR is a chunk heavier than XX1 (even X1 is lighter) and less durable, not more. Only place xx1 falls short is the alu 42t sprocket, if you spend loads of time in that then it will wear more quickly. But then you should fit a smaller chainring or go double IMO.

That’s borne out in my experiences too – XX cassette lasted better than my 10 speed XTR, and XX1 is lasting well.

ratherbeintobago

I think XTR will sell poorly.

We’re not the target market though; racers are. And they’ll stretch to Di2.

When XT Di2 comes out (presumably for 2016), I’ll definitely be looking at it.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think that many will. Racers aren’t as fickle as most think, and mechanical is lighter in 1×11. The target market for Di2 will be rich weekend warriors!

Di2 will take a while to gain a foothold anyway, it looks a bit crap unless your frame is compatible.

ratherbeintobago

Racers aren’t as fickle as most think, and mechanical is lighter in 1×11.

Perhaps not, but the perception is that at least some have a degree of sponsorship.

downshep

At the risk of sounding like a luddite, 11 speed on an mtb just seems like senseless one-upmanship. Mtbs get filthy and kit wears out, how long before the tight tolerances required to properly index an 11 speed cassette are FUBARed by a little grinding paste?

Yes I do run 8 & 9 speed for off road and commuting!

mtbfix

My issue with 1x is tired legs on a long hilly day. Happy with 1x on my local trails but the Chilterns are short on long climbs. Nothing beats a granny ring when the legs have had enough and the destination is a way away via hills.

dudeofdoom

I’ve seen the xtr cassette seems to be coming in cheaper @ £140ish on the German site.

tbh with some of the deals on the shifter/rear mechs there’s only a small difference In going for 11 speed xtr over boggo 10 speed (well for 1x)

I’m still deciding sram over shimano but tbh some of the cheap solutions like one ups radr and zee mechs are so good they do make you wonder if your just going for bling.

njee20
    Free Member

Perhaps not, but the perception is that at least some have a degree of sponsorship.

Degree being the operative word. Few racers get more than trade prices, and mechanical at retail is cheaper than Di2 at trade!

I’m still deciding sram over shimano but tbh some of the cheap solutions like one ups radr and zee mechs are so good they do make you wonder if your just going for bling.

Well, no, of course you’re not. If it’s worth it is a separate discussion, but 11 speed isn’t merely ‘bling’, there are differences – smaller gaps and what not.

dudeofdoom

Did look at di2 but wow it’s not cheap and for my fav 1x setup seems a bit overkill for a non racing pleb like myself.

traildog
    Free Member

Yes I do run 8 & 9 speed for off road and commuting!

In my experience 10 speed Shimano is better than 9 speed in the filth you are worried about. An extra cog does not necessarily mean that it’s going to behave worse.

solarider
    Free Member

I prefer the feel of Shimano shifting. Somehow less plastic feeling than SRAM. I prefer using my existing wheels without changing the free hub. I also prefer more evenly spaced gears.

Therefore, I am in the minority and have just purchased new XTR 9000. I am a spinner rather than masher, so will be pairing it with a 30 tooth at the front (ironically an XX1 chain set with Wolf Tooth direct drive chainring, spinning on a Chris King bb). I will admit that the new XTR chain set is gopping!

mcnultycop

The advantage I can see of the SRAM 11 speed options (which I don’t run, by the way) is the 10t sprocket. It means for us less fit chubsters we can run a smallish single ring with a 40/42t out back, but then not spin out on fireroad/flat sections. I run a hope T-rex with a 32t and just often wish for one smaller sprocket.

njee20
    Free Member

I am a spinner rather than masher, so will be pairing it with a 30 tooth at the front

The SRAM cassette would’ve afforded you a lower gear with a 28t chainring, and still a higher gear at the other end. Even more suitable for spinning! Doesn’t negate the gaps, but it does seem with current parts that a hybrid of the two brands is quite desirable.

solarider
    Free Member

I prefer the feel of Shimano shifting. Somehow less plastic feeling than SRAM. I prefer using my existing wheels without changing the free hub. I also prefer more evenly spaced gears.

That’s the main reason right there njee.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s the main reason right there njee.

It was a general comment really, although I must admit I don’t understand how someone can spend quite so much on bikes and not want to spend £70 on a freehub body! Each to their own though! I did say you can’t negate the gaps, but as you admitted you’re very unusual in caring about that 😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member

shortcut – Member

Why do you need a 42 tooth sprocket? It’s working fine for me with a standard free hub body. Mech is lower profile and cassette isn’t black.

You could just do a 10 speed 42 or 40t conversion which is cheaper.

traildog – Member
    I’m mystified by this question. It has 11 gears and therefore has the advantage of not having an annoying gap in the gearing when riding along the canal.

with the 16t cog a conversion doesn’t have a gap.

deviant – Member

11-40 cassette seems fine to me and I’ll take Shimano over SRAM every time, hope it filters down to XT at some point.

But it isn’t a case of Shimano v SRAM there are four options. 11 speed XTR, 11 Speed SRAM, 10 Speed shimano conversion and 10 speed SRAM conversion.

A 10 speed XTR 42t cassette is lighter than 11 speed shimano as well.

solarider
    Free Member

The riding over here in Singapore isn’t exactly steep, so the minimal gaps are more appealing than the absolute lowest gear.

Having come off single speed for the past few years, frankly having gears at all will feel nice!

njee20
    Free Member

But it isn’t a case of Shimano v SRAM there are four options. 11 speed XTR, 11 Speed SRAM, 10 Speed shimano conversion and 10 speed SRAM conversion.

Well no, there are far more than that – as you can run a hybrid. As said.

So you can have a 10-42 cassette with Shimano shifting.

with the 16t cog a conversion doesn’t have a gap

Of course it does. Not as big as if you don’t put in a 16, but there are still gaps at an awkward place in the cassette.

A 10 speed XTR 42t cassette is lighter than 11 speed shimano as well.

But heavier than a SRAM 10-42.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

You are right njee I’m not saying a converted 10 speed is the ultimate solution. If I had the money I would run SRAM 11 speed and I understand why those cassettes are that price, they are stupidly light. So far I haven’t really noticed any gaps in 11-42t conversion, but I guess what I really meant is with the 16t there is a more even spread of gears.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New XTR what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.