Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New XC wheels recommendations
  • cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Collective STW wisdom required please!
    I need a new set of hoops and want to go tubeless.
    I want something light but strong that can take a bit of the rough as they need to see me through the 2010 TransRockies on my Cotic Soda. However I also want reliability and the chance to run some 2.3's when mucking about at the trail centres etc
    I had looked at the Crossmax but worry about their durability and spokes popping out. Remember I've spent a lot of money to go to TR2010 and don't want to end up walking home 🙂
    So was considering a Hope Pro2 build onto 819's instead.
    I don't fancy a conversion kit…..what is the best option?

Cheers

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Pro 2s on Flows would be perfect in my opinion. Lighter than 819s (I think) and generally regarded as stronger too. Fantastic value as well! They're probably the easiest way to go tubeless too…

tazzymtb

pro 2's on Flows or arch rims. Work very well indeedy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

I've Hope Pro2's on 819's, work well – bought them s/h.

If I was buying new I'd have gone for Stans, either 355's for XC or Flow's for wider tyres.

bol

Roval Traversees. About 1500g the pair, and nigh on indestructable. I've tried. Tough, wide, tubleless ready and I haven't even had to look at the hubs yet after two whole winters. Only trouble is price, but there are deals out there if you look hard enough.

sofatester
    Free Member

Hope Pro2 (CK if you have lots of cash), DT spokes, Mavic UST rim. Done.

Get them built by a decent wheel builder, ride them hard(ish) for a few weeks then get them re-tensioned before you go.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

have a looky here.

I just ordered a set of these. from what i can see they are the best cheap to light ratio i can find…

shortbaldone
    Free Member

CK Hubs DT Spokes and ZTR 355s here, light strong true (or mine have been anyway)

shortbaldone
    Free Member

CK Hubs DT Spokes and ZTR 355s here, light strong true (or mine have been anyway)

matthew_h
    Free Member

American Classic hubs on Stan's 355 or Arch rims. Much much better quality hubs and significantly than Hopes, very reliable and they build a really nice strong wheel. Use DT Swiss Supercomp spokes for a nice and stiff but light wheel. No need to go as heavy as CK hubs imo.

jonb
    Free Member

Hope hoops 355 rims. Should be strong enough unless you're massive.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Thanks people

I'm not keen on a tubeless conversion system (seen too many horrors I'm afraid) hence the leaning towards the 819.

Has anybody had experience of the crossmax or are they as notoriously unrelaible as I am lead to believe?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

If doing the transrockies is a big deciding factor, then have a think about what spares will be available with the travelling circus that is the race. Hope spares are notoriously hard to get on that side of the pond, but then again they are pretty reliable hubs.
    CK stuff is easier to get over there, but I have no experience of reliability with them
    I've had 2 pairs of Crossmaxes, both of which have been great; learn how to dismantle the freehub (it is very easy) and you'll be fine. they look bling too!

shortbaldone
    Free Member

355s dont need conversion kits

vinnyeh

Personally, I'd say CK or American classics with Arch rims- lighter than Flows and significantly tougher than 355's, capable of tubed and tubeless use.
    I'd advise speaking to Jon Webb at JRA for specifics, good wheel builder and sensible advice.

davefarmer
    Free Member

Get UST/819's, all Stans rims need tape and/or conversion.

I have had dirt get under the rim strip on Stans rims when the tyres burp and prevent them from sealing.

I have been running five mtb's tubeless for over five years, and by far the most reliable system, and easiest to change tyres and get to seal is UST tyres and UST rims.

get wheels with normal j-bend spokes, if your mech goes into your spokes and bends a couple, you can get them anywhere.

Straight spokes are NOT available easily, and are tricky to true as they twist

UST rims mean you can change a spoke without removing the tyre

Mavic wheels are very reliable/stiff/UST/nice to ride. the spokes don't 'pop-out' on the 2009/2010 wheels, they have a retainer to stop it happening

Daffy

Both of my Crossmax wheelsets have been faultless for 2 years.

Engagement is faster on the CKs though.

mboy
    Free Member

819's are VERY strong rims for their size. Bit narrow mind, wouldn't run anything over a 2.3 on them as it would give a rubbish profile and be likely to roll too much.

They are a bit weighty for an XC rim too (weighed a naked rim with the 32 eyelets once and it was 510g all up), but they are immediately tubeless ready without any modifications which wins them some bonus points back.

Stans rims are the obvious competition, and which to go for would depend on preference. 355's would be the lightweight choice (Olympics are just gonna be too light for anything except XC racing I fear), Arch's the more robust and the Flow's for a stronger/wider rim still. They're not immediately tubeless ready though (need a rimstrip to convert them for use with normal tyres, or a valve and the yellow tape with UST tyres). They're also even more expensive than the already expensive Mavic UST rims!

Hub choice, well what do you want to spend? Hope Pro2's have to win out on the best combination of cheap/light/strong. Of course there are better hubs, but you pay a lot more for them! If you don't mind running centrelock rotors and have a QR fork, take a look at Shimano XT hubs too. Significantly cheaper than Hope, only marginally heavier, as durable if not more so, and plenty tough enough. Or XTR, or even DT Swiss 240's if you're feeling flush!

Personally though, having tried to have a set of wheels that's capable of being both XC race light, and tough enough for messing about on, it's pretty much nigh on impossible. I'd get 2 wheelsets myself. Probably a cheap pair of Deore/SLX/XT hubs on say Mavic EN521 rims for messing about on, and go with some Hope Pro2's on Stan's 355's for XC racing etc.

Oh, and spoke wise on whichever wheels, go for DT Comp with brass nipples. Anything lighter/thinner than a DT comp is pretty flexible in my experience, and expensive too these days! You can save 50g elsewhere from the bike much easier than on your spokes… And Brass nipples cos they're much easier to re-true… Ally nipples round off too easily.

coopersport1
    Free Member

My Pro2 819's have been rock solid and run true after 2 yrs of throwing them round trailcentres pretty harshly. However i've got pro 3 355 combo for racing from wheelpro with yellow tape, easy tubeless and don't need tubless specific tyres, and they have been suprisingly strong, for there weight (very light)I'm 15st and they're on a 5" full bouncer, unless TR involves rock gardens everyday that's what i'd use. And they be doing the trans germany with me in june.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd say go with Hope Hubs, Dt spokes and either a Mavic or Stan's rim. I prefer the Flow rim. I'm running them on two bikes. I used to have 317 rims for lightweight xc stuff and then another set of wheels for each bike with 321s for being silly. Now I use the Flow for everything.

By the way, I've got a pair of Pro II hubs, brand new and unused if you're interested. 32 hole, black including 20mm adaptors for the front hub.

Xan
    Free Member

I just ordered the combo below

Spoke: DT Revolution
    Rim: XM819 UST Black Disc
    Hub: Hope Pro 11 135mm Std Q/R (Red)

Cost c. £310 built and then was £68 for some Panaracer Fire XC UST tyres to go with it so I was about £380 all in. I should get them this weekend and will let you knwo how I find them. Collecting them all built up and even fitting the tyre/adding stans latex for me. the above price is about the same as Merlin, but I am buying them from someone with a better reputation TBH.

barca
    Free Member

Onzadog – I'd be interested in the hubs if they're still available? I think I read somewhere that you'd got them as part of the Hope group buy? It was a few weeks too soon for me, sadly.
    I've got a few enquiries going on with different people about some new wheels for my bike but hubs only is also a considereation. I know a good wheel builder.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Thanks everybody. Looks like a Hope Pro2 onto and 819 with DT spokes is the way to go for me

CHain Reaction seem cheap. Experiences of build quality? I've had Merlin wheels before and they have been fine

kamina
    Free Member

CRC wheel builds seem to be a bit hit and miss. I got a good set, friend did not do so well. I think they build with a machine and finish off by hand.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New XC wheels recommendations’ is closed to new replies.