Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Vehicle
  • Ambrose

Talk to me about bike-cars or vans. I feel the need to replace my trusty but aging Scenic. I have a 03 Scenic, 1.6l petrol that is pretty much ideal in all ways bar ooomph and mpg. Current average is 38.1 mpg, I’d like more power and more economy, so assuming a remapped diesel might be an option- any suggestions.

Essential criteria:
    Air con- to dry boots/ shoes (honestly, this is true)
    Bike must be stowable upright.
    Must fit three bikes and three people inside at the smae time.
    Must also be able to fit two bikes, two people, two BoB trailers and two dogs, plus food/ kit for a weekend.

Added bonuses:
    A decentish stereo.
    Electric windows.
    Sunroof/ plural.
    Easy-clean seats.

Over to you, in hopeful anticipation.

Budget = £4.500ish

druidh
    Free Member

Fiat Multipla?

Take all three seats out the back and you’ll easily get three bikes in. I had 4 adults, 4 MTBs and various helmets, bags etc in the back of mine a few times.

It’s the three front seats that makes it work. Almost anything else will need a second row of seats for the third occupant, eating into storage space.

Ambrose

Does it drive OK?

geebus
    Free Member

My crew cab vito is great for getting stuff around, but despite being best-in-class for fuel consumption, won’t quite match what you’ve got.

Think you’re going to have trouble getting everything you want (ie, BMW estate will be faster and better on fuel just about for a small diesel, but not getting bikes inside in one piece.)

druidh
    Free Member

Multiplas drive fine – at least as good as a Scenic (I used to have one of them too). The wide track keeps it really planted on corners. You should manage 40+mpg easily, regardless of how much yo thrash it. 50mpg is possible if you’re more careful.

Length-wise, it’s about the same as a Golf, so you’d need to take one wheel of each bike to fit in more than two (two will sort of fit diagonally). Visibility is excellent, so no probs parking it. The stereo isn’t up to much but you can get adapter plates for the dash so it can take any standard DIN box.

takisawa2

Three fully assembled bikes upright, & 3 passengers at the same time ?
    Got to be looking Galaxy size for that, surely. Our TDi can but mpg is about what you’ve got now. Plenty of oomph though, tows 1500kg easily enough.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I have a Renault trafic sport which has all the things your looking for including air con but not sure you’ll get one for £4500 😥

kilo

was looking for a bike wagon earlier, although annoyingly i seem to have fixed the Honda shuttle (good / ideal bike cars but oldish now and a little thirsty)We were looking at people carriers – the SEAT ones or a previa (they hold value well) and the slightly older five door Rav4 as i believe one or all of the rear seats may come out on the older ones to facilitate bike egress. CRV’s were an outside bet but never tried getting bikes in the back. Zafira’s were a very long shot but idon’t like driving them so never researched thm that much

Not a petrol head but if looking at diesel 4×4’s and vans and come within the m25 beware the london air thing which efects heavier 4×4’s and vans – a more educated person can tell you if that is relevant

ironbrucove

You know you should get a van, you treat your cars a like a van anyway.

Ambrose

Hi Adam- yes I know. But VAT and insurance are factors. Looking at Connects though.

bullheart
    Free Member

You want one of these…

ElShalimo

Berlingo with 2.0 90 bhp HDi.

Ambrose

OOhhh- I might just too 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You could get plenty of V70 or Mondeo for that. Don’t worry about a high-miler if it’s been well looked after.

JamieMc
    Free Member

VW Caddy TDI, drives better than any car ive had. Really comfy on long drives and you can fit about 4 bikes in the back. Looks good too. The only downside is that they dont come too cheap.

spooky_b329

Unfortunately the Combi (pictured above) and Connect will not seat three people, unless you put seats in the back, and then the loadspace will be much smaller.

I think the Fiat Scudo was available with a double passenger seat as an option.

I think I’d be going for the Fiat Multipla if I needed seating for three. (Actually, I wouldn’t, I’d be getting a proper van like a Transit 🙂 )

bullheart
    Free Member

Unfortunately the Combi (pictured above) and Connect will not seat three people, unless you put seats in the back, and then the loadspace will be much smaller.

Look a little closer.

It’s a Combo crew van – five seats as standard, 60/40 split seats. this means that it;

will seat three people, unless you put because it has seats in the back, and then the loadspace will be much smaller more than enough for three bikes.

That’s why I bought it. And it was fine with five people and four bikes, plus all the kit needed for 13 days of JOGLE as well.

Just sayin’… 😉

druidh
    Free Member

bullheart – Member
    And it was fine with five people and four bikes, plus all the kit needed for 13 days of JOGLE as well.

With a roof box 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

With a roof box

Where else would I put the wife?

legend
    Free Member

VW Caddy TDI, drives better than any car ive had.

As a fellow Caddy TDi owner……you must’ve had a really poor car history up to this point!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Berlingo with 2.0 1.6 90 bhp HDi.
    much better on fuel 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like you should be looking at proper vans.

jamiec360
    Free Member

What about crew cab pickup? Not a huge fan of the mitsubishis as they’re poo to drive unless fully laden at the back but should be decent choice in the Toyota, Nissan ranks and I thought VW do one too now (maybe only in US). Get one of the tailgate covers you strap the bikes to and you can get it as filthy as you want just hose out the bed afterwards.

If it’s a van the VWs and especially Merc Vito are great. Should be able to get crew version but maybe not at your budget.

Ambrose

Aargh- too confused now!

I need to be able to somehow seat three people, occasionally plus kit and stuff. I’d prefer not to have to do a conversion, adding seats/ windows to do this.

Three up front is perhaps too big for my liking, so I’m possibly reverting to the idea of a small/ med MPV with removable seats and using it with the rear seats removed for much of the time.

Scenic sized is just right I think.

Moon on a stick anyone?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ambrose our grand scenic is massive stripped out and and so versatile so maybe that would be an option. Can do all you ask really.

I can bring it over for you to look at if you want an idea of the size of it???

legend
    Free Member

Three up front is perhaps too big for my liking, so I’m possibly reverting to the idea of a small/ med MPV with removable seats and using it with the rear seats removed for much of the time.

New shape Pug Partners, are small sized but have 3 up front (the middle can kinda fold away). It’s a bit cosy with 3 but if it’s just occasional use then it might be the one for you

nosedive
    Free Member

any normal diesel estate and a roofrack.

or did I miss something?

rkk01
    Free Member

Ambrose – S-Max for sale if that’s of any interest…

linky

S Wales as well, so not too inconvenient if you want a look.

3 people & 3 bikes inside would probably require front wheels off

Ambrose

Hey- things are looking up. It seems that Mrs Ambrose has suggested that an £8000 max spend is a goodish idea.

Narrowed the vehicle down to New style Berlingo Multispace, loads to chose from too- but decisions to be made- do I NEED as opposed to want Air-con. It has always been great for drying the car after mucky rides but is only available in the most expensive optons pack/ model, the XTR as opposed to the cheaper and more numerous VTR model.

khani
    Free Member

Fiat doblo, our typical holiday load is 2people, 2bikes+kit, 2kayaks+kit, 4dogs, camping gear+large tent and assorted tat, three bikes and three people is easy with the rear seat split as well
    Ours is a 57plate 1.9multijet which has only needed an annual service from new and nothing else, and it’s got the usual toys like A/C and stuff, and the tailgate is great for getting changed/sitting under when it’s raining
    Right big old bus 😀

ketchup
    Free Member

Seen this on facebook a couple of days ago

I think it just about fits the bill 😛

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Vehicle’ is closed to new replies.