Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New TV Help – Confused!
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Need some help here…
    Currently got a 32″ Toshiba telly thats about 7 or 8 years old – an old style massive box thing and its time for a new one.

We have a few requirements and the range is seemingly bewildering – the last TV we bought was just a telly with terrestrial channels. Now theres HD, 3D, internet etc.

So, we want the following:
    – up to 40″, maybe down to a 32″
    – freeview HD
    – internet enabled. Not too bothered about a browser but apps like YouTube and iPlayer are a must.
    – around £500 ideally
    – not too bothered about 3D but it’d be nice

Seen a Samsung in Currys for £900 (and its white too – that’d be nice) which ticks all the boxes but its over our budget – at the end of the day its a TV.

Anyone any suggestions?

Cheers
    Dave

Cougar

Seems to boil down to Panasonic or Toshiba these days. The high-end Samsung are nice, but pricey.

Drac

Panasonic, Sony and Samsung are the best bets, Toshiba ain’t what they once were.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Plasma-TVs/buy-PANASONIC-TX-P42U30B-Plasma-TV/707449 That one takes some beating, don’t be put off it being a 42″ it’s probably not that much bigger than your huge box of a TV.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    namastebuzz
    Free Member

You can get thisSamsung on Pixmania for your budget.

Have a trawl round Richer Sounds too. You get a great 5yr warranty deal from them and Pixmania has a 2yr warranty.

Don’t buy from Currys/Comet.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions – Currys I was just browsing. Comet I’d rather chop my winkie off than buy from them.

Planning a trip to Richer Sounds when I get back from my jollies as we want a new hifi as well anyway.

Anymore suggestions?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Check out this, Sony are giving cashback at the moment as some sort of store card that can be spent in most places.

Drac

CHB

We just bought a 32″ samsung last week.
    It was £450 from John Lewis (can be had for £420 elswhere).
    It has the SMART TV function and iPlayer and Youtube both work well.
    Picture quality is great, and the on screen menus are good too. Remote layout is not the best, but OK.
    The ones with the REALLY skinny frames have built in wifi and 3D.

Cougar

Toshiba ain’t what they once were.

They must once have been pretty incredible then; I bought a Tosh about a year ago, it was head and shoulders the best buy at the time.

midlifecrashes

We got a Samsung LE40C650 from Amazon for £400 back in May, brilliant telly, but it seems we got a good price and it’s now an old model. Does all you ask of it. Freeview HD, Internet (but no browser) with YouTube, iPlayer, LoveFilm, some more extra channels and widgets/games etc. 4 HDMI, 2 Scart, 2 USB, optical out, component etc. Decent sound and very good picture, good upscaling of our cheapo DVD player.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Panasonic, Sony and Samsung are the best bets

If buying a Sony, and maybe a Samsung, get an extended warranty – Sony often have a 5 year on offer, and John Lewis do a 5 year on all their tvs.

The menus on my Sony are playing up badly, and the Samsung that I recommended to my sister lost a big chunck of screen just after it finished it’s warranty.

Sony’s are not universally best bets either – when I bought mine (which was one of the best around at the time for moving images) the colors were wrong and needed a trip into the service menu to fix them, and the 40inch version of the same set had shocking ghosting/clouding on moving images.

I would go for a Panasonic – I wouldn’t bother looking for youtube/etc compatibility but just use my PC plugged into an HDMI slot.

If the TV works with youtube now, it might not later when a new version of the various technologies like flash used get updated, whereas it is easy to keep your laptop up to date.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New TV Help – Confused!’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts