Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 334 total)
  • New Trek Stache 29+
  • MrGFisher
    Free Member

Was just about to email you the same info Bonesetter. I was told £1350 RRP?

bonesetter
    Free Member

That is indeed the RRP

Your local Trek dealer may vary by quite a margin though

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I really fancy a Stache 5. Are the being officially imported now then?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Has anyone saw the tyres for sale separately at the stache dealers, or anywhere for that matter?

bonesetter
    Free Member

They will be at Trek dealers everywhere come September

Of all the Stache lineup it’s the 5 which floats my boat. It just looks so right

Plus 16″ chainstays should be a revelation

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone thinking of going for one?

Northwind

Alpine Bikes Glentress have one, I think possible it’s in the demo fleet. Doesn’t look as ridiculous in person as I’d hoped.

honourablegeorge

bonesetter – Member

It just looks so right

I’m happy to allow the chainstay for function, but no way does it look “right”

rOcKeTdOg

Wheelbase stavely have the black & purple ones, Cheltenham cycles have a purple one too. However non have a lrg which considering they are 29ers seems a bit daft given the likely height of riders who might want one

bonesetter
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Alpine Bikes Glentress have one, I think possible it’s in the demo fleet. Doesn’t look as ridiculous in person as I’d hoped.

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPOR

Oh, you’ve seen an in the flesh one?

honourablegeorge – Member
    It just looks so right

I’m happy to allow the chainstay for function, but no way does it look “right”

I don’t think I was thinking of the CS when I said right – more the whole package, but I think like people, bike manufacturers should be allowed to do what they want

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Wheelbase stavely have the black & purple ones, Cheltenham cycles have a purple one too. However non have a lrg which considering they are 29ers seems a bit daft given the likely height of riders who might want one

Those are the 5’s and the 7’s which have been out for a lil while now

It’s the 5’s which haven’t materialised yet

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a 5 bonesetter. Still being told 29th Sept as delivery.

Stans Cycles in Shrewsbury have a Purple Stache 7 with the Manitou’s as a demo bike. (17.5 frame.)

bonesetter
    Free Member

Cool – what size you gone for, and what size are you?

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m still hoping to get one, was gonna get a 7 but a 9 makes more sense as I won’t end up changing everything…

Was going to get a frame and build but lack of fork and wheel/rim/hub options makes it hard to get anything decent for anywhere near the build prices .

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I’ve gone for a 17.5 virtual.

I’m 5.9 ish (a teeny bit under) and ride medium on most other bikes (currently Santa Cruz). I’ve had a remedy 9.8 and a few fuels in the past and they were also 17.5.

The 7 at Stans looked about perfect for me.

wiggles
    Free Member

Interesting… I’m about exactly as tall as you but compared to previous bikes I was thinking the 18.5 would be the closest match

ks562
    Free Member

I got to play on one up at North Third in Stirling over the weekend. Hilariously good fun!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice

What was a standout characteristic?

ks562
    Free Member

Highs:

Grip was ridiculously good (I know this was to be expected but I’ve never ridden a fat-bike before), would have been better to test in the Scottish mud though

For a 29er it was surprisingly nippy on the tight spots the back end was easy to flick round (much more agile than my XC 29er, felt closer to my 26er in that respect)

Climbed OK too.

When it got rocky I had much more bounce in the back end due to the big tyres which was great (again this could be generic to all fat bikes but this is the only one I’ve ridden).

Lows

Fork doesn’t seem to lock at and the high and low compression damping does naff all.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks

Yeah, MTBR go on about the fork

For my riding, the rigid 5 will be fine

ks562
    Free Member

I rode it again tonight, and the more I thought about it I thought it didn’t really need suspension at the front. Think it would be proper ace as a rigid bike. When does yours arrive?

bonesetter
    Free Member

With a 29+ up front and your weight balance right, a lot can be achieved

Need to check back with shop for del

Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve got the Stache 9.

I think the fork is spot on, I experimented with front and rear tyre pressures and found it made quite a difference to the front end in particular.

I run as low as 10psi in the front tyre, and 12psi in the rear (tubeless).

Have to agree that it really is a very good trail bike, can’t decide if its my favourite go to bike though.

Regards

Denis

swanny853

Tried one at the weekend at the CyB enduro. I really, really want one. I grinned pretty much the entire way round the test loop. Quite hard to explain really, it felt like a normal mountain bike (as opposed to a fat bike, which definitely feels like a fat bike) but just let me pedal everywhere, up, over and down, very quickly, throw the bike around and generally have a lot of fun.

It’s hard to isolate what is the tyres, what is the geometry etc, but I suppose in the same way a full susser means you don’t have to concentrate quite so hard on the soaking up the bumps and can focus on steering, grip and so on, this did the same with the grip and let you focus on throwing it over things.

Perhaps the most noticeable thing was that going back to my solaris (reasonably well tyred itself) felt like the usual step of going down to the cross bike on a rough trail.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is the Stache 5 the best rigid ride going?

I’m beginning to think so

Mine’s 3″ B+ rear 29+ front

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yes I reckon so. 2000 miles so far on mine. Expected the novelty to wear off but it hasn’t. Had a “proper” fat bike for a bit but felt like a compromise on everything. The stache in plus form is almost as fast as my light 29er.

My full squish remains gathering dust in the shed.

For my kind of riding it’s about as perfect as I think you can get.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Expensive when you pringle rim though. 6 psi is too low 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Pringle? (wreck?)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A lot of fun.

bonesetter
    Free Member

You’re probably too much in new bike mode to think about trying anything else, but 27’5+ Stache 5 is also fun 🙂

I haven’t gone back to full 29+ since

ton

i had a ride on one at evans castleford. out of the saddle it felt very flexy. i went with intentions of buying the stache 9 model, it changed my mind.

Mole
    Free Member

Hi Ton,was that test ride before you got a jones plus? thinking of getting a plus. How is the jones?

ton

mole, it was mate. been looking at a 29+ for fair while. rode a krampus, which was nice, test ride on a stache, which was flexy, also dont want any suspension.
    and i had a bit of a windfall so decided to give a jones a try……one to tick off my ‘bikes to try’ list.

Mole
    Free Member

You happy with it so far ton? gonna get a test ride from keep pedalling in Manchester.

ton

mole, it has not landed yet mate, i will let you know when it does and i have ridden it.

Mole
    Free Member

Okay nice one.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ton – can’t imagine there’s much in the way of flex in that set-up: boost rear wheel, alu frame with massive BB area, tapered steerer etc

You will get a fair bit of squish in the tyres though

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I take it by your user name you are a bit of a unit? :0)

Either that, or you have power like that big-legged german bloke! I’m nearly 15 stone and fairly strong, and the thing I notice most about the stache is the ability to ‘carve’ sharp turns…..with my salsa, I have to aim, turn, lean to get round the corners, with the stache I just seem to be able to point the bugger where I want and put the power down……obviously only in the dry!
    Up until I fell off, without warning, at about 25mph and landed on my knee, I felt the bike was much more capable than me! I still love it, but I treat it differently in the wet to the dry with the chupacabras…..I’m just waiting for a new mud tyre to come out, then it will be perfect.
    I’ve thought about going 650b+, but I think 29+ is what I want……

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Have a Stache 7 great bike wheres the Flex??

Alex

No flex on mine. I reckon it’s pretty stiff.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HhQZw7]Chubby Evo now on non borrowed hoops[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Bought second hand and ridden for about 400 miles in the 29+ config. Now switched to 27.5+ with a slightly longer fork. I prefer the 27.5+. It’s a bit nimbler and doesn’t seem to loose much of that awesome roll over you get with the big plus tyres. Can’t decide if to keep the 29+ forks/wheels/tyres as one day I might want to go back (or buy something else)

Clobber
    Free Member

Alex, what plus forks have you been running?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘New Trek Stache 29+’ is closed to new replies.