Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • New to road riding
  • ben10
    Free Member

Hi all I’m a keen mtb’r but have just recently started road riding and built myself a road bike wile on the mtb iv got all the stuff I might need in my camlepack but am unsure what to carry and how when out on my Road bike what dose everyone carry and how

simondbarnes

Little saddle bag with tube(s), tyre lever, bit of cash, pump & water bottle(s) on frame, anything else (keys, food, jacket/gilet, camera/phone) in jersey pockets.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Spare tube and leavers and Co2 cartridge on the saddle bag. Pump and a buff and sometimes a gilet or light jacket in my jersey pocket. Works for me.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Pump and spare tube in pockets (one puncture is enough to send me homeward). On the other road bike I don’t carry these as it has puncture proof tubes.
    Multi tool in pocket, but I’m not sure why as it’s never been used.
    Water bottles and bananas

MoreCashThanDash

Pump and bottles on frame, multitool, tubes and levers in saddlebag.

Keys, phone, cash and gilet in pockets

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On the other road bike I don’t carry these as it has puncture proof tubes.

Foolish statement! You’re guaranteed a puncture on your next ride now!

OP, as above, saddle bag with tube, tyre lever(s) (depending on your tyres), mini multi tool. Card/cash, phone and munchies in a pocket. Mini pump under a bottle cage is also a good idea. Oh, and I’ve recently put a Specialized EMT chain tool in my top cap. One of those things which I hope will just sit there and never be needed, but a cool idea, IMHO.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Little saddle bag with tube(s), tyre lever, bit of cash, pump & water bottle(s) on frame, anything else (keys, food, jacket/gilet, camera/phone) in jersey pockets.

This.

My winter bike set up..

lunge

I have a small saddle bag that contains a tube, 2 tyre levers, a multi-tool, some glueless patches, a CO2 cartridge and a spare mech hanger. It stays on my bike so I don’t forget it. Unless it’s a short ride I also take a mini pump in my jersey pocket and another CO2 cartridge or 2. All other stuff (food, spare clothes, phone, etc.) all goes in Jersey pockets.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve just gone one of these

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-tyre-tubular-accessories/lezyne-lever-patch-kit-blue/10774181.html

which is neat and cheap – holds and comes with self adhesive patches, the sides are removable tyre levers, it comes with a stiff patch for repairing tyre cuts, and there’s enough room inside for chocolate/beer money.

So that, a mini pump, a mobile phone and a house key all in jersey pockets. On longer rides where I want to carry food I’ll use a saddle bag for the above bits (and a spare tube) and stick food in my pockets. Plus a pair of disposable gloves as there’s no way I’m working on my (or someone elses bike) and getting oil and crud all over my immaculate white bar tape or kit. And no, I’m not joking.

Kryton57

Saddle bags rattle, crap on the frame ruins the aero and aesthetics . Take a tube, levers, quick links, co2 cartridge – all of which I have wrapped up in a neat bundle with an elastic band – decent mini pump, multi tool, phone, a few pounds for emergency a (I keep a folded fiver behind my phone inside the phone case) and keys all of which fit in Jersey pockets with room to spare.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ruins the aero and aesthetics

Unless you’re racing, aero is bollox. And, aesthetics? Seriously? Do I have to remind you what you’re wearing again? 😉

Saddle bag I’m currently using clamps on to the seat rails only. No rattle, no fuss.

butcher

Saddle bag for multi-tool, quick link for chain, spare tube, puncture repair kit and tyre levers.

Frame mounted pump.

Jersey pockets for clothing, keys and wallet. (Jacket, gloves, arm warmers…)

Fuel tank on top tube is useful for long rides.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lool; saddle bags and disposable gloves?! A sign of the times; road cycling is now overrun with nodders. Why bother with a superlight saddle when you’re gonna strap half a kilo of unnecessary shite in a bag to it?!

Put your stuff in your jersey pockets; that’s what they’re there for. Slam your stem while you’re at it aswell.

DanW
    Free Member

Same as on the MTB.

Tiny pump, levers, patches and tube strapped to the seatpost. Multi-tool in one pocket. Phone, card, cash and keys in middle pocket. Gels in the final pocket. 2 big bottles on the frame.

Some versatile kit similar to a light jacket which can be opened up to be very breathable/ Gabba top/ arm and leg warmers depending on the weather outlook saves you having to pack extra clothes too and can cope with changes in weather really well.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Mini pump attached to bottle bosses. Tube, tyre lever, multitool in jersey pocket. Keys/wallet/snack in other jersey pocket. Waterproof (if necessary) in other jersey pocket.

Ride.

When they make a saddle pack that doesn’t look like your mum’s mudflaps then I’ll consider one. But really – people overthink it. Just put the essentials in your pockets and ride.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Tube
    Pump
    Phone
    Keys
    Card
    Cash
    Food
    Plus small pouch containing:
    Tyre levers
    Sandpaper
    Self-adhesive patches
    Tyre boot
    Quick link
    Valve extenders
    Multi-tool (including chain tool & spoke keys)
    Disposable gloves

Pump also does CO2, so sometimes take some cartridges too.

Then depending on the weather, sometimes a gilet/armwarmers or rain jacket.

All in jersey pockets.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Small saddle bag for me. Smaller than my ass, so aero is not affected 😀
    Has a small pump, tube, small multitool, cash, phone, dropout and puncture kit in there and house key. Rather stuff them there than have keys and pump in back pockets waiting to inject into my spine if something untoward was to happen. Although the gilet does go in my back pocket with a squishy fruit bar.

scaredypants

I don’t see what’s so great about stuff in your pockets – one of the big attractions of road biking to me is that I don’t have a load of stuff on my back and I can keep cool instead. Short summery MTB rides are the same

I keep my phone in the back pocket, partly for accessibility and partly for GPS recording but everything else goes on the bike. Pump under the bottle cage, tube & tools in a storage “bottle” in the cage. If it looks like it’ll rain I might put a gilet or a jacket in my pocket but they’re very noticeable and a bit irritating

I’d use frame bags or saddlebags before filling my pockets with shite

DanW
    Free Member

So where’s your spare tube, second bottle and food kept for a longer ride? 😀

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Clearly a divisive issue, this one

trademark
    Free Member

Only things I put in jersey pockets are what I wouldn’t mind falling onto (muesli bars, usually. I like to keep free of on-body clutter.

I stopped my saddle/frame bag contents from rattling by squashing a bath sponge into them before zipping up.

scaredypants

second bottle not needed – I have a 900ml bottle if I’m on a long ride, and I live in southern england, where there’s a tap pretty much within sight at any time

tube’s in the storage bottle (tyres are tubeless and also carry tubeless repair bits) with the other stuff. Food rarely carried; I’d rather stop & buy it if I was on a long ride, though I take jelly babies in one of those toptube packs in winter.

iainc

As trademark says, pumps and tools in Jersey pockets can become spine wreckers in a tumble. For me its pump on frame, small lezyne pack under saddle, food and phone in Jersey.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What are disposable gloves for ? 😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

Arm-warmers and a gilet are very important in keeping the amount of junk you need to carry down.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

firstly assume the miserable look
    blank all mountain bikers even if you know them
    the reason the Rules http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ comes published in hard back is so you can make a firmer point when you shove it up the arse of those who think it’s actual rules.

Pump on the frame, 2 bottles as it’s doesn’t really effect it much.
    Saddle bag with tool, CO2 and multi tool so you don’t forget it.
    Rest in pockets
    Cash/Card in case of hunger & a need to hide from the weather

Kryton57

Unless you’re racing, aero is bollox

No it isn’t. Aerodynamics exists whether you are racing or not. What I believe you meant to say is “assuming the op is not going fast enough/is not concerned about the aerobic affect of the paraphanlia adorned to the frame of his bicycle, then attaching peripheral items to it I not an issue to be concerned with – with regard to aerobic effect”

As for the look, yes I would rather avoid looking like I’d just ridden through Haldfords on a magnetic bike frame, that’s my choice.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Simple guideline for riders (as opposed to wannabee racers)
    open jersey pockets for items you might need while riding – food, arm warmers, gilet etc
    zipped jersey pocket for things you really don’t want to lose – phone, cash, keys
    small saddle bag for stuff you don’t need unless off the bike – tools, tubes

All the guff about ‘aero’ and ‘spoiling the lines’ is just poseur riding by rule followers 😛

mattsccm
    Free Member

Want to keep the bulk down. leave the bloody phone at home.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bulk of the phone??? Wow some people are going seriously minimalist 😀

lunge

I understand the whole minimalist/aero/The Rules/don’t spoil the line argument, I really do. But, in the grand scheme of things, a small bag under the saddle makes little difference to any of the above and for me at least, is a much better solution that full pockets.

And if you want to make yourself feel better about it, just Google some images of pro’s on training ride, you’ll see saddle bags aplenty, exibit 1, Joe Drombrowski:

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I like the way he has two small children strapped to his spokes…

Klunk
    Free Member

LOL at Kryton being a devotee of “the rules”, remember what you said on BM when it was suggested you should take up road riding to improve your fitness ?

BigDummy
    Free Member

ZOMFG WOWOWEE!!!

Frame pump on Pinarello Dogma is a strong look. 😯

Kryton57

Klunk – Member
    LOL at Kryton being a devotee of “the rules”, remember what you said on BM when it was suggested you should take up road riding to improve your fitness ?

I have to admit to being very wrong :-/

Personally – and I’m the same with an mtb camelback outside of races, I just prefer minimal kit and cleans lines on a bike these days. Admittedly this was not always the case in the past.

html6
    Free Member

What are disposable gloves for ?

Road side rectal exam.

hilldodger
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    …..images of pro’s on training ride, you’ll see saddle bags aplenty

yeah, but they’re real pros aren’t they not look-a-likeys 😆

pictonroad

I use a tiny saddle bag, pump next to the bottle cage and have recently adopted a small deuter top tube bag for phone and sugary nonsense. I can also put a back up battery in there when staying out for 120 miles+ as my iphone doesn’t last the full ride.

Can’t stand stuff in jersey pockets, I worry about landing on a pump in a crash, had a few moments recently with cars and horses and I think it’s only time before an emergency bailout will be needed.

I may well be worrying unnecessarily of course.

iainc

one of these on the saddle takes tube, patches, multitool, latex gloves. I have pump and bottles on frame. I share view that I don’t want anything hard in back pockets incase I land on my back, so only put phone and keys in a wee waterproof pouch and food there, along with showerproof or arm warmers/gilet.

lunge

Get one of these, it’s very small but big enough for the essentials. Combine with a clear plastic pencil case in your back pocket for your phone and a tenner and you’re good to go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New to road riding’ is closed to new replies.