Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New telly advice?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Happy days! The CRT finally packed in so I have permission from Mrs V8 to buy a new telly 🙂

3D not important
    I will always have a computer nearby so Internet is not required
    Freeview HD is important as I don’t have Sky or Cable

I’ve found these:
    Samsung 40″

Toshiba 40″

LG 42″

Any thoughts? Any thing else to look at?

LED would be nice but seems a bit pricey still, does it make much difference?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We have 32″ and 40″ Sony Bravia’s. They’re great

5lab

panasonic’s range normally have freesat hd, which I believe has a lot more channels than freeview hd – I think freeview hd is very limited in it’s coverage and channels available

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hohum
    Free Member

Panasonic plasma.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Generally the Panasonics do get very good reviews.

People like Sony’s but I am sure it is only because they say ‘Sony’ on them.

(Ohh, and I am a Sony addict (DVD player, PS1/2/3, Sony separates, mini system, alarm clock, watch).

But when I chose a new TV I took a look around and found the Panasonics to offer better quality pictures and sound at around 15% less. And when I got mine they were doing free 5 year warranties too.

wallop

We got a Panasonic at Christmas. Absolutely superb.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I too love Sony (mainly for the amazing Bravia ads) and if it was money-no-object I would probably go that way but they are just too expensive.

I’ll take a look at the Panasonics…

plumber
    Free Member

sharp aq…… pretty good
    my current cheap n nasty LG is suprsingly good too

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

plumber, what makes the LG nasty? I’m leaning that way for the cheapness and wonder what the downside is?

Cougar

+1 for Panasonic on your “to consider” list. That said, I auditioned one side-by-side with a Toshiba and the Tosh was considerably better, so that’s what I bought.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve now got 3 LG’s. 47, 42 and 37 around the house. Great value, great picture quality, great warranty.

I’d recommend them to anyone.

Milkie
    Free Member

I spent weeks looking for a decent LCD and that Samsung you’ve linked to is very good! The blacks are the best you’ll get for £400 (comparable to £800 LCD’s), it also plays avi’s via ethernet connection for DLNA, so you can play stuff from a media PC or NAS or via USB stick.

It also has a very low input lag, if you’re into ninja reaction games like COD. Oh and the tuner in the Samsung is damn good, it is picking up Freeview/HD where my previous TV & PC couldn’t.

We have a 32″ & 40″ and will be getting another one after Summer.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

One thing that drives me mad about my LCD/freeview is how slow it is to respond to my button pushing on the remote.
    When I buy again, one thing on the list will be to compare response speeds for channel changing and scrolling thru the channel menus etc. i didn’t think of that last time, it’s been a mild pain in the arse.

Also, the remote only seems to work properly if you’re stood directly in front of the telly pointing the remote directly at the telly. So, next time buying, I’d want a remote that’s a bit less tempremental about where I’m pointing from.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t poo poo the internet thing.

You may have access to iplayer but it’s much better to watch it on the big screen no?

Unless you mean the computer can be connected to the telly, in which case as you were.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I presume most PC/laptops/tellys will have HDMI connections now?

downshep

Spent weeks researching this in that tight arsed nitpicking way only middle aged STWers will appreciate. Of the 3 you list the Samsung is the mutts nuts for picture quality versus price. In the end we bought a Samsung C650 for the 100Hz as the wife uses subtitles alot but the C580 was a close 2nd.

anjs
    Free Member

+1 for c650 I now know of two people how are more than happy with it.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

cheers guys, i’m surprised there are no horror stories, am i really on STW?

It’s amazing what you get for the money, 8 years ago I spent £500 on a 19″ CRT Iiyama monitor – times are a changing.

Looks like there isn’t much to differentiate the models, I have to keep remembering I am moving from a CRT so regardless of which one I pick it is going to be fantastic!

molgrips – stand easy my man, the PC connection is already there 🙂

Spent weeks researching this in that tight arsed nitpicking way only middle aged STWers will appreciate.

yep.

donsimon
    Free Member

The most Samsung you can get for your money.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You see I looked at the Samsungs very closely when I chose mine and was utterly underwhelmed by them.

ourmaninthenorth

I have to keep remembering I am moving from a CRT so regardless of which one I pick it is going to be fantastic

Funnily, I’ve yet to see a LCD/plasma that has a picture as good as my CRT from 10 years ago….

However, moving house next week, so I may be persuaded to consider something flatter for the living room..!

withersea
    Free Member

worth having a look at John Lewis, they will price match most places and you’ll get a longer guarantee chucked in as well.

I ended up with a Sony Bravia with Freeview HD – more channels are on the way – if you can’t find one with build in freeview HD, get a standard HD tv and buy a Freeview HD + box in the future then you’;ll have the joy of being able to record HD as well

DezB
    Free Member

panasonic plasma.
    If you search my history, you’ll find the hassle I had for not taking the advice of people who recommended Panasonic!
    Now have one and very happy with it.

TheFlyingOx

Can’t fault my Samsung LCD. Plus it looks nice even when it’s switched off, unlike some of the offerings out there.

Cletus
    Free Member

I have just ordered a 50″ Panasonic plasma TX-P50G20B for £659.

I has Internet, Freesat HD and Freeview HD plus can record to USB.

RRP is £1,399.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4940035/art/panasonic/viera-tx-p50g20b-50-full.html

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New telly advice?’ is closed to new replies.