Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • New Swinely Bit
  • forge197
    Free Member

Any one else ridden the new bit in Swinley with the wooden bridge up and over a tree, it’s .5 mile long, rode it twice in both direction today, it was fantastic that coupled with ultra dry trails.

Good work by whomever built it, flows very nicely.

Feels like it should only be ridden in one direction but does work both ways be interesting if it get’s waymarked, but the exit is non-descript which I suspect is to stop people heading down it in what could be perceived the wrong way.

WipeOut
    Free Member

It’s called the Stickler Run and is the work of BOB MBC and Gorrick.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

oh, whereabouts is that then proximity wise to other bits?

AndyRT
    Free Member

I too would like to know where this fangled section is…?!

cinnamon_girl

Grid reference would be useful! Can an ambulance be on standby?

AndyRT
    Free Member

no funny stuff either like: take a left by the pine tree next to the gravel track!

Hewey
    Free Member

No.

It’s right by the pine tree next to the gravel track.

nicko74

Shut uuup…. don’t tell them!!
    Had a fantastic ride yesterday, the weather was lovely, trails easy to find and not too busy. Absolutely excellent; I also enjoyed the new trail section, although it does peter out somewhat… If you go to the start of Whoops, and face towards Lower Star Posts, it’s on your right.

As an aside, with my Racing Jackets (G40 lens?) on, the new trail sections looked very much like the yellow brick road. It was quite surreal…

cinnamon_girl

OK – is this anything to do with where the dumper trucks were on Saturday?

forge197
    Free Member

They were working on it last Saturday and as there were barrows and spades decided not to investigate, today though oh yes….

cinnamon_girl

Thanks forge!

andywhit
    Free Member

>They were working on it last Saturday and as there were barrows and spades decided not to investigate, today though oh yes….

Cheers forge – you’d be surprised at the number of riders who ignore taped off sections and ride them while trail maintenance is going on.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

I knew this was going to be difficult! I’ve got the lower star post in my minds eye, but where/what are ‘whoops’ (I’ve probably ridden it I know, but just didn’t know the name!)

forge197
    Free Member

andywhit – there are plenty of other trails to ride if one is closed, makes no sense to put worker and rider in potential danger!!

DM52
    Free Member

I rode it both directions yesterday with a mate. Huge thanks to the trail builders, it was a proper chuckle however there is one ditch that can be a bit dodgy on the return leg (assuming you turned off on the same fire road as I did), no idea of the names of nearby track, GPS positions etc, since the group I ride with tend to make up their own names for the trails.

anjs
    Free Member

Whoops is the trail that leads into the tank trap. Anyone else notice the yellow flags on the trees yesterday?

Oh and thanks to whoever cleaned up the babymaker its looking loads better now the rubbish has gone.

forge197
    Free Member

Does anyone know if that trail will be directional or free-for-all as they all are now?

atlaz
    Free Member

I had a decent ride there too but for once I didn’t go over to that side of the forest. That said it was a REALLY clumsy ride, 3 falls and only one due to too much speed.

Will have to pop back on Friday nice and early and give it a go.

mikey74
    Free Member

Whoops is the trail that leads into the tank trap. Anyone else notice the yellow flags on the trees yesterday?

Oh and thanks to whoever cleaned up the babymaker its looking loads better now the rubbish has gone.

Tank trap? Babymaker? Where are these trails, never heard of them.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Cheers… I know where you are now! And trail name ‘whoops’ added to my list!

Thanks!

forge197
    Free Member

anjs, the yellow markers are there today, there was a charity challenge last Saturday so possibly left from that

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve never called that bit whoops but it’s as good a name as any 🙂

anjs
    Free Member

Right that clears it up. Replacement trails are bedding in nicely

AndyRT
    Free Member

I am still at a loss, as there are two sets of tank traps, one near the star cross, and the other at the end of a wiggly gully section that has recently receieved a lot of new surfacing. Where is Stickler run then? (ducks behind a4 binder, as cowering behind my office chair might look a little odd in an open plan office)

anjs
    Free Member

Think its the second one

forge197
    Free Member

AndyRT the tank traps a I know it is the section at the end of the bit that has just been re-carpeted, If you are coming from Lower Star and head right into the the what has been re-surfaced then Stickler is left.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

There are TWO tank Traps?!! Oh, and I agree with everyone else so far as to where I think tank traps is…

petetheplumber
    Free Member

I was riding Friday and came across the guys working. I ended up helping for a couple of hours very satisfying. The trail is designed to ride booth ways but ride best away from the fire road entrance. Well worth the £18 a year permit. Good work to the people that worked Friday and Saturday to make the ride so good.

forge197
    Free Member

There are tank traps at the end of the swooping gully, and also near Lower Star, but know the gully as tank traps more than the trail near Lower Star whose name escapes me.

theotherjonv

I think you’re thinking of the Seagull Run forge. The one in 3 parts that starts (or finishes) at the gate on the Devil’s highway. First section flowing with an up and down ‘hairpin’ halfway through. Second part uphill switchbacks and then a straightish down and up followed be a flat twisty bit. third part pan flat but very tight twists in the trees to dump you out by the big concrete blocks by LSP.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

And I thought part three of what your calling the seagull run is what I call the yellow brick road!

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Yup theotherjonv, thats what we (including forge when he remembers) call the seagull.

Forge, so the new section is opposite the run into the tank traps off firetrack from the lower start post? Should be heading down friday and sat this weekend so don’t want to miss it!

theotherjonv

I’m never that keen to publicise trails too publicly, especially ones I know on ‘less trodden’ areas, but in this case i think it’s fair to say that yes, ‘Stickler’ is directly opposite the entrance to the Tank Traps. Fair to say because it needs some riding to bed it in. If you do ride it, try to be careful with braking while the top is a bit loose, and also ride right to the end on the unsurfaced rabbit track to bed that in too.

If you think Seagull is yellow, be prepared for this one then! Although an eyesore currently, it is all natural and indigenous material – that’s what the natural soil looks like under the surface, and after a season or so of rain and pine needle / leaf mulch on top it soon fades into a lovely surface. I rode it once each way yesterday too and think it’s great. beware the ditch halfway though – bit severe if you don’t expect it!

Hats off to the Bobs and Gorrick boys and girls that spent last week doing it. Once again conspicuous by my absence, haven’t done a trail building day for a couple of years now (hangs head in shame) but what with young families, etc…<slopes off feeling guilty>

forge197
    Free Member

fu_manchu thanks yes Seagull that’s it, your description for the new trail is spot on but it has now been convered

Should be there Friday and Saturday too 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

Don’t worry Jon – I wasn’t at this session either, but can’t wait to ride the new bit.

As I remember, though, that’s a fairly flat section of forest – have the guys managed to find any elevation to play with?

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Forge, cool, drop my an e-mail with when your riding.

auricgoldfinger

Have to have a look out for that – might try nip out one night this week.

Forge – passed you Saturday morning I think (not on a broken Soda this time though!). Would’ve stopped, but trying to get some miles in before the Merida this weekend.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

“have the guys managed to find any elevation to play with” Ho yes

cirlam
    Free Member

did this last night, wicked trail, liked the bridge! we need some more northshore’y stuff in swinley forest methinks. There is one bump that was a bit vicious though! Loved the 180 degree deep berms, they are wicked!

martinh
    Free Member

Seagull got nicknamed Yellow Brick Road last year when it was resurfaced. Doesn’t really apply anymore

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘New Swinely Bit’ is closed to new replies.