Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New superstar BB
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Sooo, at the risk of being overwhelmed by octopron, I got an e-mail the other day about THESE from Superstar.
    What say the armchair engineering experts please?
    It sounds feasible, but Im not clued up enough about bearings to know for certain. Depends how good (or bad) the sealing is too I guess.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

think it was discussed last year and dismissed as being a silly idea

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think that was the taper roller bearing one….

ScottChegg
    Free Member

What a god-awful website. everytime I click something it demands I log in.

I can’t be bothered looking now.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think it’s f****d.

Andituk
    Free Member

I looked at them when I got the e-mail, and the first thing that came to mind was, if it’s such a simple idea that would solve a problem so easily, and could be done so cheapily, why haven’t Shimano, or Chris King, or Hope or someone come up with it by now..

bigjim

yeah the website is dead. I have one of their ISIS BBs and its been going for 3 years now, though has just started creaking. Will see if I can get some grease into it, but good value for the money!

akira

I think the OPs link is a problem because he was signed in, if you just go into the website normally you can have a look.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=449

bigyinn
    Free Member

Odd I wasn’t / aren’t signed in to the site. Sorry ’bout that. Thanks akira.
    Andituk, that was my way of thinking.

kimbers

Will be interested to see if this works he may have had some bad pr on here but I have pedals and chainguide and they are good
    Also they have downtube mounted 1x guides comming so u don’t have to be ripped 9ft by e13 for one

xiphon
    Free Member

Never had a problem installing normal HT2 BB’s…. or any BB come to think of it??

retro83
    Free Member

Interesting that they’re not offering the 5 year warranty on this one as they did on their previous BB

bigyinn
    Free Member

installation error = using rock to fit it?
    Seriously though, I think they mean the pre-loading of the bearings being excessive causing premature bearing wear. Although my first HT2 BB was a SS one and it didn’t long, although this may have been due to excessive preload. the bearing sealing wasn’t great. Still I still have the cups in use with replacement bearings, so not a complete loss.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone got my barge pole?

If the bearings are as crap as the normal BB’s I’d give it 5 minutes.

As bigyin said though, the normal ones take a standard bearing, fit some SKF ones and enjoy years of trouble free use, almsot worth £20 for some shells.

Bin SS’s BB spacers though, they’re flimsy and deform, use some old shimano ones instead.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for the deforming spacers, now using Shimano ones too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New superstar BB’ is closed to new replies.