• This topic has 28 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • New road bike – help me choose
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Got offered a 40% discount on stock bikes at my LBS. Choices are (incl. price as discounted):

Cannondale CAAD12 disc 105 – 1020
    KTM Revelator 4000 (Ultegra) – 1320
    Cannondale Synapse Ultegra 3 – 1740
    Cannondale Supersix Ultegra 4 – 1440 (external cable routing low-end wheelset)

I had a synapse until I wrote it off, and have a CAAD10 disc. My heart says spend more, my wallet says the Supersix (external routing notwithstanding) or the CAAD12. The KTM is the wildcard. good spec but don’t know anyone who’s ridden one.

lunge

Sueprsix. Great frame, external routing is no bad thing and is the wheels are crap you can save up and buy some good ones.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What you using it for?

atlaz
    Free Member

I do have a set of DTSwiss “donor” wheels that I can upgrade to 11-speed for around 40 euros.

atlaz
    Free Member

What you using it for?

Riding. I’d have said I wanted to replace the Synapse with something a bit more “endurance” but given the CAAD has given me no trouble so far I’m not sure that the slightly racier geometry causes me any bother.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Riding

🙂

I guess if you want discs then it’s the CAAD12.

Synapse or Supersix, guess it depends on fit and mindset.

Quite like the look of that KTM, seems to review well too. Think a few on here have them.

atlaz
    Free Member

The Synapse fits (owned one for 4 years). The Supersix will fit as it’s pretty close to the CAAD10 I have. The 12, as sad as it sounds, I dislike purely because of the shifters. They made the 105 shifters hideous I guess to get people up to Ultegra.

plus-one

None of the above

Reckon if you give it a few weeks they’ll be discounted too 🙂

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-advanced-1-white.html?gclid=CJaG8cmojs4CFegW0wodDZcEaw

atlaz
    Free Member

Cable discs… I’m out. Plus they’re not available from my LBS this week. Those prices were in euros BTW

atlaz
    Free Member

Quick bump for lunch

lee170
    Free Member

I’ve got 2015 super six evo and its immense. You won’t be disappointed

atlaz
    Free Member

How’s the comfort?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got 2015 super six evo and its immense.

I see they come in a decent range of sizes so the OP probably needn’t worry about that.

mooman
    Free Member

SuperSix would be my choice. I also prefer external cabling … much easier to keep clean/lubed and adjust.

akira

Supersix, they are pretty comfy. Wife tried synapse and a few other bikes and went for the supersix as it just felt nicer. Obviously we then had to put new wheels and campag on it…..

TiRed

You have a CAAD10 disk, what do you want from an extra road bike not offered by the CAAD10. If you want endurance then it is the Synapse. If you want to go racing then I’d say the KTM.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Spend the cash on pimping up the CAAD10?

atlaz
    Free Member

The CAAD is primarily my work/commute/winter bike and it has discs for that reason. I have got used to keeping a second road bike at work so I can ride on a whim (locker has full set of kit in it) and then I have a second bike that I’ve kept primarily for weekends/evenings or events. Originally I thought having a more race-oriented bike would be interested but TBH I don’t notice a massive difference as I don’t race so there’s a lot of riding on the tops or the hoods solo or small groups rather than hammering a race/crit circuit.

Anyway, the main reason is that I broke a bike and I’m getting one to replace it because I want to.

squin
    Free Member

I’m with Plus One and will recommend my bike…Giant Defy Advanced 1.

I’ve had a Specialized Roubaix, a Super Six Evo and now this and it’s the best road bike I’ve ever had. I have only had it a short while so the longest I’d ridden on it until this weekend was 80 miles. This Saturday I rode 145 miles from Southport to Scarborough and I got off the bike feeling like I’d done 40 miles on the Cannondale. Fast, comfortable and it feels like the bike is with me – barely notice it over a long distance, which in my book is a great thing.

We’re all different, but for me it’s perfect and the only bike I would now upgrade to would be the Defy Advanced Pro.

atlaz
    Free Member

Yeah.. think I covered that one. If it’s not on the list, it isn’t going to happen.

squin
    Free Member

You don’t expect me to read everything do you? 🙂

Synapse then.

buckster
    Free Member

Cannondale and upgrade the wheels. Giant has a toury geo, unless you want that?

atlaz
    Free Member

I may go ride the supersix and the ktm tomorrow and see which feels best

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I have a Supersix although it is the high mod version. I can’t even begin to explain how nice it is. I was a bit worried about it being too ‘racy’. In reality it’s just superb. I’ll get back from a 70mile ride and feel like I’ve just done a quick blast around the block, it’s that comfy. Almost like having a bit of Suspension going on. Just seems to soak up road buzz, cracks in the road etc. Thought I’d ridden some nice bikes in the past but the ‘dale takes it to another level.

atlaz
    Free Member

Awesome. Pissing it down today. No test rides.

theflatboy
    Free Member

What size and spec is the CAAD10 + how much are you going to be flogging it for? 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Sell. A. Bike. Nope, not ringing any bells

mboy
    Free Member

Can recommend the KTM highly. Sold a load of them, customers love them. Done approx 4000 miles on my own too, it’s comfortable, quick, stable at speed, in fact it’s pretty exceptional only in that it just does everything well without you noticing it as such. Have recently upgraded to a Wilier Zero 7 which is a whole load more expensive (even with a significant trade discount), a bit lighter, a bit stiffer and a touch racier. It’s a thing of beauty but the KTM is just such a good bike for a fraction of the price, that I’ll probably end up keeping the KTM too and using it as a winter bike.

atlaz
    Free Member

Got the KTM in the end. Just fancy a change after two Cannondale bikes. Just over 1000 quid in the end.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘New road bike – help me choose’ is closed to new replies.