Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • PSA: Ticks — Check Yourselves Out guys/gals.
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

M6 – The little ones on me looked like I’d pricked myself on a thorn. Blackthorn, perhaps, they tend to look more swollen and angry on me. There would be a little dark dot in the middle and a small reddish swelling around. Then I found one right under the centre of my watch. Realisation dawned. I’d been working in woodland that day.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What is all this homebrew bollocks?

Permethrin treated clothes (tick kryptonite) and the old tropics trick of running lightweight long sleeve clothing.

Dear god, you bunch of ninnies – would you use your homebrew crap in Dengue/Malaria country?

jakd95
    Free Member

Anyone got a recommendation of a tick removal tool? Or even better a link? Thanks

ransos
    Free Member

Permethrin treated clothes (tick kryptonite) and the old tropics trick of running lightweight long sleeve clothing.

I’ve had bites to my stomach and thigh – in both cases the areas were covered with clothing.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Were they also covered with permethrin? If they were, in my experience – you’d be very very unlucky.

ransos
    Free Member

Were they also covered with permethrin? If they were, in my experience – you’d be very very unlucky.

No – my point is that covering arms/ legs doesn’t seem to work. I suppose there’s also the argument that it stops you seeing the feckers.

I’m not sure about the earlier recommendation for Avon Skin So Soft – it seems to stop midges biting but I was wearing it when I got “ticked”.

Speaking of the tropics, in the Amazon, I had a mosquito bite me through my shirt.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Permethrin kills ticks stone cold on contact with them.

Hence they physically have to be touching your clothing for the stuff to work, hence the reason why you wear full length clothes.

And wearing full length clothes is still a basic piece of advice even for mossies, it does lessen the amount of bites you receive.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

…..just don’t stoke any kitty cats with permethrin treated gloves 😀

It’s also probably a carcinogen when taken orally (like most things), so take your pick – maybe get cancer if you decide to huff it for whatever deranged reason or maybe get lyme disease.

whimbrel
    Free Member

jakd95 – Member
    Anyone got a recommendation of a tick removal tool? Or even better a link? Thanks

Tick Twister
    They might by a £ dearer here, but it helps support a Lyme charity

whimbrel
    Free Member

Anyone tried these insect repellent clothes from Craghoppers. .
    Craghopper Nosilife – Insect Repellent Clothes

molgrips
    Free Member

Speaking of the tropics, in the Amazon, I had a mosquito bite me through my shirt

Happened to me all the time in Finland.

redthunder
    Free Member

Old Spice or Hai Karate will kill then dead 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

Luckily never had one either. New Forest / Hampshire based.

cinnamon_girl

redthunder – do you have Lyme disease?

The-Beard

in the Amazon, I had a mosquito bite me through my shirt

In Scotland I had a cleg bite me through my cycling shorts, wee buggers.

The ticks are pretty bad at the moment in SW Scotland. I’ve regularly had to stop so I can flick them off my legs after running through any sort of ground cover. Found some in the car too after we’d got off the hill at work the other day. It’ll be worse once the bracken is fully out. Thankfully the dog has been treated.

redthunder
    Free Member

One more today 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GRtr17]P1310687[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GRtr7E]P1310694[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

Spud

Seeing this thread today made me pop and buy a tick remover card to keep handy. Bought some tick tweezers last year for Scotland. Off to Wales tomorrow with livestock around the woods so will keep vigilant. Only me picked them up before now, thankfully small ones.

jimmy

Had 9 on me last month in one go, i think from YHA bedding but not sure.

xcmtb
    Free Member

All the ones I’ve had ( 15 in one night record) were tiny and seemed to be almost completely buried with only back legs and tip of its arse showing. There was nothing for a “Tick Twister” to slide under claw hammer style to allow the twist.
    Tweezers seem to be the only option, with a needle to remove any left over bits. Must have had hundreds over the years and always seem to find them the next day despite thorough checking and showering. High strength DEET seems to work as a deterrent but smidge almost seems like an attractant.
    Has anyone heard of a dog style tablet for humans?

chewkw
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    Old Spice or Hai Karate will kill then dead

I like both … I am using Hai Karate at the moment. :mrgreen:

jekkyl

wysiwyg – Member

I had one on my left testicle once. It drove me nuts…

LOL. 😀

bedmaker

Unfortunate getting that on your chin redthunder, still at least you can smile about it 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

@bedmaker

Thats my nail for scale.

The other pic is a needle. It stayed alive for quite a while and then eventually turned to dust in the sun. Not unlike a vampire, loves blood and hates the sun.

docrobster
    Free Member

I saw a patient with the classic bullseye rash of erythema migrans ie Lyme disease this week. First time I’ve seen it in over 20 years since qualification. Old chap who had a flu like illness then painless disseminated rash, loads of them all over his body. Not aware of any tick bites. South Yorkshire.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Ticks — Check Yourselves Out guys/gals.’ is closed to new replies.