Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Product (your thoughts)
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

Been working on a rear tyre system that can be remotely inflated/deflated, current restriction being the precharge limit (wt really).

Before Going for it, would be great to hear from folks who race or gen MTB folk as to the appeal of such an addition.

Cheers.

LT

psychle
    Free Member

hey… that's my idea 😉 I actually thought about this 3-4 years ago but never did anything with it 🙄 I've always thought this might be a cool and useful thing for MTB's, a bit like adjustable seatposts in a way 😀

psychle
    Free Member

Imagine a Bionicon style bike, adjustable travel, seatpost height, tyre pressure etc, all able to be done on the fly… how cool would that be?

igm

(the sound of a thousand singlespeeders slowly turning in their graves)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Would it be able to keep the pressure at a suitable level – i.e. burping or slow flat etc? i.e. marketing it in different of additonal benefits?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Dragon's Den voice on*

Let me tell you where I am. When I ride, I set my tyre pressures and then go and ride. If it turns out they're a little soft or hard, I take a moment to hop off the bike and inflate/deflate as necessary using a very lightweight pump which is in my camelback. Add to this, if it's a little hard, I can also play with my suspension settings as I ride, until I reach a nice place to stop and spend a minute with my valves.

As such, I really can't see the point of such a remote system unless there was a time benefit for someone racing XC. As they're more concerned about weight than most and tend to run fast hard tyres regardless, I really can't see there's any market for this.

I'm out. Sorry.

*Dragon's Den voice off*

glenp
    Free Member

Deflate to optimum grippy pressure. Ride.

If a bit draggy on the road, think about something else.

Am I missing something?

finbar
    Free Member

Too much faff for me, but then i don't see the point in spunking £100 on a seatpost that you can adjust the height of while you ride (well, for the two weeks until it breaks) either.

thepurist

Something else to forget to set/reset, like fork lockouts or propedal switches so you'd probably end up half way down the descent with a locked out fork, propedal switched on and the wrong tyre pressure.

What we really need is a gizmo that detects loss of altitude/increase of speed and unlocks your fork, turns off the propedal etc etc etc.

vdubber67
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart has really siad all there needs to be said…sorry

glenp
    Free Member

Fork lockout – practice not jumping up and down on your bike as you pedal. Leave off.

ProPedal adjust – adjust to your liking. Leave.

Springy seatpost – practice getting behind a normal saddle, stop worrying about it. Leave.

thepurist

@glenp

Sarcasm detector – leave switched on 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Sarcasm emitter – leave turned up to 11. 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i like the idea because I generally ride around thinking I've pumped my tyres up too hard but can never be bothered to do anything about it, well I used to but pinch flatted too many times. But I'd never buy it if I am honest.

geoffj

current restriction being the precharge limit (wt really).

No good for a biffer like me then 🙄

(and prolly 50% of the posters on here if we are being honest 😆 )

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Cool…. 'Back to formular then'…..(name that film?)

jonb
    Free Member

Unless you could adjust the pressure from flat to inflated after a puncture without me having to stop I don't think it's necessary. But then I run my tyres at about 40psi regardless.

nbt

?

pump inner tube a bit. put in tyre and seat the bead. Pump to 40 psi or there abouts. ride bike. repeat when it goes flat or you change tyres.

do people *really* change tyre pressures mid-ride? Honestly? Ami I doing it wrong or something?

Drac

Hora will buy one.

takisawa2

I reckon its a non-starter using conventional compressed air. You need some method of raising & lowering pressure & this is going to mean some form of miniature compressor inside the tyre. And this will require power, & lots of it.
    How about some kind of electrolytic gel filled tyre liner, the molecular density of the gel could then be changed passing an electric current through it. This would stiffen / soften the tyre akin to changing the pressure. Would add weight though.
    Just a thought. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Where are you all riding where 40 PSI is an acceptable pressure to run tyres? For me 40 PSI means no grip whatsoever and therefore no fun 😕

nbt

I ride in the dark peak, the white peak, wales, calderdale, yorkshire…

nickc

until I reach a nice place to stop and spend a minute with my valves.

Ffnarr ffnarr etc etc

Grumm, I ride in the Chilterns at about 40psi. loads of grip, loads of fun

jimthesaint

Years upon years ago I saw a device in MBA that was a small plastic tube that attached to an inner-tube valve. The idea was that by undoing a screw you would take some air out of the tyre into this additional device, then by tightening up the screw you would push the air back into the tyre.

The device was still at the prototype stage so I don't know if it worked, or if it was ever sold.

el_boufador

40 psi is pretty much a minimum for me (13.5 stone). Any lower and I tend to roll tyres off the rim or bottom the rim onto the tyre (tubeless so few punctures though).

grumm
    Free Member

I weigh over 16 stone and have my tyres at around 25 PSI (tubeless) – not had any burps or anything for a good while, including a week in the Alps doing the Mega.

aracer
    Free Member

Malverns works fine with 40psi (though I often run a tad less nowadays). It all depends what tyres you're using of course – 25psi doesn't work too well with 2" race tyres.

WTF
    Free Member

Weight ,price would overshadow any real need IMO.
    A visual pressure guage of little weight would be a better device.

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, I'm just not sure I see the point. I don't think you'll get many XC racers interested in it to be totally honest. With tubeless and such most have got over the 60psi in 1.5" tyres era. I ran 20psi for my last race in fact, and very very rarely go about 30. I make a judgement based on the course, inflate my tyres, and ride.

Then again I never use lockouts, so maybe I'm not the sort of person this would be aimed at.

hora
    Free Member

I still dont own a adjustable seatpost let alone the tyre idea- WTf?! Limited market IMO. Nice Boffin-idea though 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Hmmm,I think theres some merit in your idea,I am often critasising people I ride with for using over inflated tyre pressures,there reason is they cant be bothered to change pinch flatted tyres!.
    And yet they wonder why they struggle for grip on the climbs, and have no braking on the decents!

For maximum enjoyment imho its always best to experiment with tyre pressures for the ever changing grip levels you get on a typical days ride.If there was some kind of digital readout of pressures, and the design had little weight penalty I think it would be a great product and could be a huudge advatage on long pedally downhill courses or xc events.

I have great memories of the old ridged tyres we used on our raleigh mavericks,on the road we would pump them to 100psi so they ran on the ridge of the tyre,and then off road we would use as lower pressure as we could get away with,(no suspension in those days of course.) 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Product (your thoughts)’ is closed to new replies.