• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dot.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Mills to Manchester – off-road commute
  • dot
    Free Member

Got hit by a car tonight on the way home whilst riding through Longsight – thinking the off-road version would be safer than the A6 – can anyone suggest a route?

crikey
    Free Member

Longsight? lucky you didn't get shot….

uplink
    Free Member

I know you can take the canal as far as Stockport

crazy-legs

Probably one for NBT this. Canal from New Mills goes down to Marple, I've never been on it further than that though. I know it does eventually get into Manchester but I've no idea where/how!

nbt

TBH once you get to the M60 you're a bit stuck for off-road routes, most people I know who've ridden use the canal, which goes out to Ashton then down to Marple. There's certainly little that's even reasonably direct in terms of off-road.

You could try the CYcleGm website, they have maps on there

http://www.cyclegm.org/

dot
    Free Member

Right thanks – I suppose I could get on the River Mersey at Stockport and get off in Didsbury / Withington then Oxford Rd into town – still busy but better than Longsight/Levenshulme

samuri
    Free Member

I used to ride from Manchester to Newmills. Long time ago now. Every day for a year or so. My dad would drive me and the bike in in the morning and I'd ride back. Jesus, the A6 was a nightmare, even 25 years ago. Searched for many offroad/quiet routes and while you can meander around a lot, they're really not there. The canal routes are extremely sketchy and add an awful lot of miles on. In the end I simply gave up and just cannoned up the A6 at warp speed on a road bike. I would beat my dad home most nights.

The alternative is, head for Hyde from Manchester, you can find a number of alternative routes from there but they're long and obviously you will need to ride over Werneth Low/Marple Bridge. I went that way a few times but the climb up from Marple Bridge to Mellor moor after a long day is crazy!! Offroad from there all the way to Newmills though. And clearly, there are much easier, prettier routes from Marple to Newmills.

barca
    Free Member

Brookbottom, Mellor, Roman Lakes, Brabyns, Chadkirk, Goyt Way, Woodbank Park, Behind British Gas, Reddish Vale, Tesco, quick road spin through Princes St and Heaton Lane, Mersey trail into Manchester. Not much road until you get near the city centre and very nice off road as far as Tesco.

or

all of the above to Reddish Vale then stay on the vale as far as Reddish Vale school, quick scoot from Holdsworth Square to Longford Rd and then get the converted railway line that goes up to Sports City and then a very small bit of canal from MCFC into the city centre or go left before Gorton on the cycle path into Rusholme. This route is very little road all the way.

I do Offerton Green to Manchester each day. I prefer the road route through Cheadle, Didsbury and rusholme but do the latter of the off road routes above once or twice a week. Usually coming home.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I commuted for a number of years and I would recommend for the last bit into the city centre to cut across from the A6 to Burnage lane and then across to Birchfield rd-Anson Road-Upper Brook street in to Manchester. Generally much less chaos, less busses and fairly wide roads too. Never had any problems.

dot
    Free Member

Thanks fellas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Mills to Manchester – off-road commute’ is closed to new replies.