Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New Lock ons required – reccomendations please ?
  • iainc

I have Orange Strange grips on 2 bikes and they are getting pretty worn – I get on well with them, and like the size and feel. Do I just order 2 more pairs or is there something similar, better, cheaper, longer lasting out there ?

Thanks

rOcKeTdOg

superstar, cheap and grippy

bluebell II by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

justatheory
    Free Member

I use ODI X-Treme and ODI Cross Trainer on my bikes and they’ve both been good. I like the mushroomy 80’s texture of the Cross Trainers, but they do get lots of crap embedded inside the filaments.

iainc

those Superstar ones look very similar to the Orange ones – will have a wee look, cheers

MarkyG82

+1 superstar or odious ruffian.

LoCo
    Free Member

Troy lee ODI ones, they’re brilliant! (touch pricey though)

nuke

Oury lock-ons on all my bikes…great grips: big and squidgy (but not too squidgy)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

If you go for the Superstar ones, I’d go for the Excel ones if you like thick grips, they are a bit bigger than the ones in Rocketdog’s picture:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=437

They aren’t as grippy as some of the more expensive ones in the wet, but when the grips wear out you can get replacement cartridges for £6 quid, in loads of colours too. Bargain.

mikey74
    Free Member

Lizard Skins North Shore: I’ve just got them for my SX Trail and they feel amazing, easily as good as the ODI Rogues I was using previously. However, I do prefer larger diameter grips, so they may not suit if you prefer them on the small side.

honourablegeorge

The ODI Troy Lees are the best grips I’ve ever used. Have them onb two bikes, love them.

Stoner
    Free Member

I recently got some on-one bobons. Previously have used oury, big earl and cane creek.

The ODI based ones have two allen bolts aligned sort of tangentially with the collar, so even when screwed tight, the head is proud a little and can be a bit uncomfortable.

The On-Ones have small allen grubs that are perpendicular to the collar and screw in countersunk so they do not stay proud. Much better IMO. However, since they are new on I dont know whether the design difference has any other performance implications.

iainc

thanks all, Superstar regular ones ordered – they look very similar diameter to the Orange ones and seem like a good deal !

theprawn
    Free Member

i’ve used these for about 100 years.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=ODI+yeti+lock+ons&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=980&bih=620&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17219670042500038666&sa=X&ei=RA_rTommDMPN8QOkmZiDCg&ved=0CE0QgggwAA

AlexSimon

ODI Troy Lees here too. They’re not super-thin though (which I know a lot of people like).
    Neither are they particularly long, so there’s only really one hand position.

But I like them a lot and I quite like a thickish grip (got ODI Mushrooms on my hardtail).

dexa

Yeti for ever

PJay
    Free Member

ODI Rogues for me.

honourablegeorge

Stoner – Member

The ODI based ones have two allen bolts aligned sort of tangentially with the collar, so even when screwed tight, the head is proud a little and can be a bit uncomfortable.

Have never noticed that, and I’ve used ODI for years

lunge

ODI ruffians for me, but only because I needed them and the shop didn’t have the Orange Strange ones is stock.

MRanger156
    Free Member

ODI Ruffians here. Worth the extra cost over the cheaper copies imo.

honourablegeorge

I should mention Nuke Proof grips here – mate had a set of them. They needed two different sized allen keys, for some reason – the inner bolt was larger than the outer. Man, that bugged me.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Lizard Skins Charger grips here. I find them excellent.

stanfree
    Free Member

Lizard kin Peatys are the best I’ve used but are always close to £20 , superstars are fine as are Outland Enduro which are only £9.99 from JJB. 😯

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahaha this great, the OP has already said that he’s ordered some, and yet suggestions continue to pour in.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New Lock ons required – reccomendations please ?’ is closed to new replies.