Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New Helmet time – what should I be looking at?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Always a tricky one.

Coming up to three years with my E2 and no (touch wood) head crashes requiring a replacement, but I always change them every three years anyway.

Giro E2 has been good with venting and fit (Medium), but always looks lke a mushroom head.

2008 E2s are on sale at CRC but they look identical to my current model.

Price not that important (upto £100) but what other helmets would you recommend? Looking for light, low profile, excellent venting and a visor.

Tried a Fox in the LBS and they dont fit at all.
    Most brands seem to fit by hook or by crook.
    Cheers

Mistere
    Free Member

three years? can I have your old one then?!

Stoner
    Free Member

‘fraid not.

I stamp on them to break them and then bin them since if you’re going to use a helmet (and that’s a personal choice) I dont believe people should use second hand helmets.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14757000

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    james
    Free Member

Specialized Instinct or Tactic, both about £45-50, both extend round the back of the head a bit more and both come with a 40& crash replacement policy?

Mistere
    Free Member

Yeah that’s true and I’m certainly pro helmet but:

How long will my helmet last?

There are many theories regarding when you should replace your helmet – which is why MET decided to answer the question by testing their own models. And the result? For eight years a MET helmet will do its job just fine, as long as you don’t damage it in a crash.
    Bike radar

I don’t like quoting forums, people talk rubbish on them 🙂

Joxster
    Free Member

The Lazer Genesis is the most comfortable helmet I’ve found, but I’m not sure if it comes with a visor. They may do a MTB version.

jim29
    Free Member

Bell Variant – the default helmet

Stoner
    Free Member

Lazer Genesis looks nice but nearly £150!

Bell Variant looks OK, as do the Speshes. Cheers
    Think Ill have to go into the big Cycle Surgery in Landaan next time Im up and get trying. Who else does crash replacement other than spesh?

allyharp

I found myself stuck between Giro sizes, so went for a Met Kaos Ultimate. No complaints other than the high price tag!

Joxster
    Free Member

I didn’t think the Lazer was that expensive. They have changed distributor recently. The best think to do is to visit a few different shops and try them all on to find the best fit.

rj
    Free Member

Just got a Giro Hex to replace an Animas. Cheaper, fits better, looks better. I kinda like it.

fliptophead
    Free Member

Met Terra, same kind of shape as the Hex/Tactic etc but with a nice matt brown/green finish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m another fan of the E2 and beginning to look for a new one. The Athlon just looks average to me. I think I may have to buy an old stock E2 from somewhere.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Give the Bell Sweep XC a look, really well ventilated and pretty light lid, bought mine initially because of fit and because I found it doesn’t give as much of a mushroom head like the giro helmets that I’ve tried do.

simondbarnes

Who else does crash replacement other than spesh?

Pretty much everybody.

clubber
    Free Member

I used an e2 for years. I replaced my last one with a bell volt and I think it’s great. Certainly fits better and it’s at least as well vented.

njee20
    Free Member

Push the budget up a teensy bit and get a Specialized 2D, best helmet I’ve ever had, by a country mile! Having always been a big Giro fan it’s superb, better vented, lighter, more compact. Spot on. Seem to fit most people too, more recent Giros (Atmos and Ionos particularly) seem to be an odd size!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d try some on rather than buy what fits someone else

allyharp

doesn’t give as much of a mushroom head like the giro helmets that I’ve tried do

That’s exactly my problem too. I can squeeze into a medium giro but I’m sure it wouldn’t be comfortable for long. That leaves large… which is massive! Met sizing seems to sit somewhere between Giro medium and large

RustySpanner

Partner recently bought a Trek Interval. £60.00 cheaper than my E2, but seems to be equally as good in terms of construction. Fixed peak though.

Replaced a Met and she’s delighted with it.

dickie
    Free Member

I’ve a Bell Sweep XC too, venting is very good, highly recommended.

Also try Giro Animas or Phase.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I have just replaced my Giro E2 after it cracked in an accident, I replaced it with a Giro Athlon as that seems to have replaced the E2 model.

Not sure why you would buy a later years version of the E2 if you are worried about materials getting old. Surely you will have lost a year out of the 3 😕

MM

Joxster
    Free Member

Some helmets are sold with instructions that give you a replacement guide. If a company recommends replacement of adult helmets every two to three years, you may need to weigh that against use. Another way of figuring when bike helmets need replacement is to calculate the hours you use your bike. Many adult helmets are rated at 500 hours of use. If you consistently ride your bike every day for an hour, you’d need to buy a new helmet in roughly a year and a half.

Bike helmets can degrade over time, especially if they are not stored in a proper manner. When you buy a boxed helmet, keep the box. Use it to store the bike helmet safely, away from light, heat, and the potential for other objects crushing it, when you’ve returned home. With safe storage, you can extend the life of a helmet, because even when one is rated for a certain amount of years or hours, damage can occur if the helmet is improperly stored. Always give helmets a thorough inspection to look for any cracks, breaks in the protective foam material, or other obvious defects before using them.

uplink
    Free Member

Not sure why you would buy a later years version of the E2 if you are worried about materials getting old. Surely you will have lost a year out of the 3

Is it not UV derived deterioration that concerns people?

Stoner
    Free Member

as uplink says, its a combination of UV degradation and the rough and tumble of being thrown in the shed/ride box for 3 years. All goes to reduce the compressive function of the helmet.

Cheers for the tips all.
    I’ll be testing the whole range at Cycle SUrgery tomorrow then! 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d say get a Spesh sworks 2D as well, can get them for under £100 if you google around. Ofc you still try one on first.

Stoner
    Free Member

Met Veleno D got my vote in the end.

Good fit (in size large for Met where I was medium for the Giro E2) and low profile look – no mushroom-headedness.

Lightweight too at 270g.

cheers all.

csb

Anyone tried one of those Abus ones with a light built-in?

brassneck

Spec Tactic is the cheapest, peaked lid with ProFit (the thing that makes them really comfy) – I have the unpeaked raodie Echelon – £39 and frankly a universe more comfy than my old E2

trail_rat
    Free Member

Abus fit like giros …. in that they dont fit my met shaped head… i wanted a tartan abus !

Got a Uvex FP1 in the end … its well tarty and light but no peak as its a roadie helmet. Comfier than my old veleno D (which i thought was comfy….but thats my head)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New Helmet time – what should I be looking at?’ is closed to new replies.