Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • new HD TV – techy required!
  • petefromearth

Hey all. Currently we’ve got a CRT thing which is on its last legs, so I thought I’d treat us (me) to a nice new flatscreen!

A few questions which are baffling me…

Currently we have cable (virgin) but as new one will most likely have built in freeview we’re thinking of cancelling it. We only ever watch BBC or c4, but use lots of the on-demand services. Can we still get iplayer etc? Is it right that I might still need an extra box to watch these channels in HD?

If we do get rid of virgin, would we still get our tv signal through the cable, or would we then use the aerial on the roof?

Does my dvd player or any other device also need replacing if it doesnt have an hdmi output?

one more question, which probably wont affect what I buy, but I’m just interested… Is there a clever way to get tv over the internet which means we don’t need a tv license?

Cheers
    Pete

petefromearth

Ooh one more, what is freesat?

CHB

Three ways to get tv pic to your set: ariel, cable tv or satelite.
    Since you have cable you need to go to Freeview via ariel if taking cable out.

If you want HD channels these are available on freeview.

There are two types of freeview tuner, HD and regular.

You either need to buy a set with freeview HD tuner, or buy a cheeper telly and buy a separate freeviewd HD box (either with or without recorder built in).

As for on demand iplayer etc….again you can either get this built into tv (we have a 32 inch samsung thats rather nice and has HD and internet) or yo u can get dvd players and settop boxes from sony, samsung and others that have a mix of features.

As for tv licence, just ignore the letters, don’t think they are very persistent …..are they 😈

CHB

freesat is satelite….got sky? Dont want to give money to the evil murdochs?
    well cancel you sky subscription, use your sky dish and all the cables and just swap the box to a freesat on….voila free satelite tv (though only same channels as freeview).

CHB

never could spell aerial….no mermaids are involved in tv reception.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You mostly watch the BBC, but don’t want to pay for it? Nice.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

boriselbrus – Member
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Where does the op say this?

CHB

Well he sort of says that in his original post. Personally I would happily pay the licence fee for r4 alone…Its at bargain compared with sky.

petefromearth

Cheers for the advice!

As for the licence, it was just out of interest really. I’ve wondered what the legalities were when it comes to internet viewing. I’d rather give my money to the BBC than virgin or sky, hence why we’re going to end our subscription.

Riksbar

Where does the op say this?

We only ever watch BBC or c4, but use lots of the on-demand services. Can we still get iplayer etc?

one more question, which probably wont affect what I buy, but I’m just interested… Is there a clever way to get tv over the internet which means we don’t need a tv license?

Here. HTH

jon1973
    Free Member

petefromearth

Can’t seem to find one that’s got it all built in. It would be nice not to have loads of remotes. Unfortunately a 32″ won’t fit which limits options. Was going to get this one today but I might have a look for one with more built in features

http://www.richersounds.com/product/led-tv/samsung/ue27d5020/sams-ue27d5020

hammyuk
    Free Member

Still need to give the BBC money even if you have virgin or sky – biggest legalised ripoff ever!
    There was a tv engineer who modded his tv so it could not recieve any BBC channels – they took him to court and he lost! Judge ruled he had to pay regardless as the license is for the tv not what channels you watch.

zokes
    Free Member

I live in Oz. If only there was a way to pay to watch the BBC…

It’s an absolute bargain compared to the ‘free’ stuff here.

MartynS

Still need to give the BBC money even if you have virgin or sky – biggest legalised ripoff ever!
    There was a tv engineer who modded his tv so it could not recieve any BBC channels – they took him to court and he lost! Judge ruled he had to pay regardless as the license is for the tv not what channels you watch.

clearly a bellend of an engineer who didn’t know the license fee permits you ro recive TV signals, not just the BBC.

OP if you do a lot of on demand stuff then you will be better sticking with Virgin at the mo.. I think BT has a similar system, BT vision or something..

There is wider range of HD stuff on cable at the mo as opposed to Freeveiw/sat. Freeveiw will get more HD stuff as time goes on.

Oh and the only way to be clever getting TV over the internet is to watch it on a computer, and not streamed live. If you have something that can recive a tv signal you need the license.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you phone Virgin and say you are thinking of cancelling (say Sky have offered you a great deal or something) then they will probably offer you a retention rate.

Freeview will only ever have a few HD channels – best to go with Sky or Virgin for more.

You will need a license.

Virgin have the new Tivo box, which is worth considering.

A 720P set will often look better with broadcast HD than a 1080P set.

jon1973
    Free Member

Virgin have the new Tivo box, which is worth considering.

Tivo is great, and cheaper than the V+ box to rent for some reason.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘new HD TV – techy required!’ is closed to new replies.