• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cp.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New groupset, or just a new rear mech.?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m quite happily riding my bike with it’s current drivetrain which is a 3×9 XT Octalink setup, most of which is 10 years+ old, on its 3rd frame and still going strong. Shifting at the rear is starting to get a little less than perfect and would probably benefit from a new mech.

I like upgrading stuff on my bike and could get a full SLX or XT groupset for around £200-£250 but I can’t help thinking that a new 3×10 or 2×10 set up just won’t offer me anything over my current set up (I like the 44×11 – 22×32 gear range that I have and wouldn’t want a single ring set up). Should I save my money and just get a new 3×9 rear mech (XTs still available for about £45)?

shortyj15

Newer stuff is less durable. I would get a new mech if your happy with gearing

dirtydog
    Free Member

Only worth going 10 speed if you want to take advatage of the 11-36 or greater cassettes.

Nowt wrong with 9 speed, and still plenty of quality components to still be had.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been for a ride on the Quantocks today, my bike was 3×9 with 26″ wheels, I used all the gears 44×11 to 22×32 although I did spend a fair bit of time in the latter.
    It was fun and the world didn’t come to an end.

PJay
    Free Member

Perhaps a new mech. is the way to go; any good bargains about at the mo.? All the 9 speed XTs I’ve found are pretty much the same price as the newer 10 speed ones.

honourablegeorge

shortyj15 – Member
    Newer stuff is less durable.

Don’t think that’s remotely true

PJay
    Free Member

So can I use a newer 10 speed rear mech. on a 9 speed cassette with a 9 speed shifts; I’m assuming that the indexing and pull is dependant on the shift? Sheldon Bronw’s website suggests that I can but I don’t want to cause issues when I can still get 9 speed mechs.

cp

Shifting at the rear is starting to get a little less than perfect and would probably benefit from a new mech.

If you’ve not done them recently, new cables and outers will have a huge effect.

cp

So can I use a newer 10 speed rear mech. on a 9 speed cassette with a 9 speed shifts; I’m assuming that the indexing and pull is dependant on the shift

No.

Whilst the shifter does control the cable pull, the shimano 10speed MTB rear mechs and shifters operate a different pull ratio, so 10 speed mtb mechs aren’t compatible with 9 speed shifters.

cp

It may also be your chain and cassette that are worn rather than rear mech.

Or you’ve knocked the mech hanger slightly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New groupset, or just a new rear mech.?’ is closed to new replies.