Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • New glasses wearer – what to do when I ride?
  • parkesie
    Free Member

I found a set of specs that are close fitting wrap around in style.

martymac

i wear contacts, my normal glasses (oakley square wire 2.0) let too much wind in, which makes my eyes water like crazy.
    when i went for my last eye test the optician told me i was on the cusp of needing varifocals, at a cost of £600 for the lenses, seeing as i usually only wear my glasses for a couple of hours in the house, i decided to leave those until i really did need them.
    if i couldnt wear contacts, it would be prescription sunnies for me, with some sort of transitions type lens which goes dark in sunlight.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Timp what did you go for?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

TimP
    Free Member

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/qs-tech-07?sku=25669480

some of these as my second “free” pair. Going to look at getting some cheap sunnies reglazed too by cilary blue in the near future

eltonerino
    Free Member

I wear my normal glasses and goggles for the downs/heavy rain. I have to look over the lenses to get in the right position for berms, might go for bigger lenses next time.

duir
    Free Member

varifocals, at a cost of £600

Really? Is that for the glasses as well? My varifocal lenses are the best quality available and super thin from a private optician. The lenses were £300.

iainc

^^^^ depends on prescription though. Mine is -6.5 with astigmatism and high quality thin varifocal lenses are about £500 a pair, frames on top of that…

duir
    Free Member

^^^^mine are +5.75 with 3.25 astigmatism in both eyes. So a rather high prescription for me too but still only £300 for high quality varifocals.

Maybe short sighted prescriptions are more expensive than long sighted?

cookeaa

With Ciliary Blue, can you take it as read that they can do lenses for any removable lens glasses? Or is there a chance that you find something you like and they say nope? I keep meaning to get a prescription pair for short rides.

They’ll give it a go generally, had a pair of cheap polaris glasses they couldn’t do because of the sweep, but they happily did me a pair of bolle spiders, I am only -2.75/-2.75 with a slight astigmatism now, I think the more extreme your prescription the tougher it is for them to accommodate in a curved lens, they’re good at responding to noddy questions by email so if in doubt ask them, worst they can say is no…

It’s a cheap experiment £10 frame + £15 for their most basic lenses, if you don’t get on with them, it’s not a biggy, if they work then no need to chance your posh glasses on the bike…

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘New glasses wearer – what to do when I ride?’ is closed to new replies.