Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Shimano XT 1×11 vs 1×10 (OneUp)?
  • bowglie

Has anyone gone from a DIY 1×10 to the new XT 1×11 – if, so how do you find shifting quality compares?

I’m trying to decide whether to convert one of my bikes to 1×10 using OneUp 42t expander cog, 16t ‘gap filler’ cog and chainring, or whether to pay a bit more for the XT 11 speed (using OneUp chainring).

I’ve seen conflicting reports on the new XT shifting, some say its a significant improvement over homebrewed 1×10 conversions, due to the evened out jumps between cogs – but one report said it was the same compromised feel as 1×10. My first thought was that the latter could have been down to crummy cable condition/adjustment or routing, but the author reckons he tried new cables etc etc, and he does sound experienced at drivetrain fettling.
    So, just wondered if anyone in STW has direct experience of XT 11sp.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My 1×10 11-42 with a one up back plate on shimano has been flawless. Same as the Hope trex on the 11-40. I swapped to 10-42 SRAM GX, range is an improvement shifting perfect. Thats what I would change for, if it was new then I’d probably go for 11 if cost the same. In reality it’s the range of SRAM that wins for me

ferrals
    Free Member

I went from a 1 by 10 expander (42t one-up plus 16t cog) using SRAM X9 mech to xt 11sp. I personally find the shifting better. I used to get sticky shifting around the one-up 16t filler cog which has gone, the shift up into the 42t is still a fraction slower than into other cogs but better than using an expander set-up, shifting back down to 37t is perfect. It’s also highly likely I need to tune my gears.

The big thing I noticed was how much nicer the closer ratios were compared to the 1 and also that 37t-42t feels nicer than 36t to 42t.

bowglie

Ah, that’s great info – just what I was after thanks:)

I actually have GX 1×11 on my other bike and really like it; the range of gears and quality of shifting is hard to fault. TBH, if money was no object, I’d definitely go for GX with the OneUp chainring. However, the XT kit that I’d need for the conversion is about £90 cheaper than GX.

The quality of shifting on the GX is one of the reasons I think I’d really notice compromises in shifting on the other bike – hence the XT 11 idea.

Ferrals, it’s interesting what you’ve said, as I’d also be using a SRAM X9 for the 1×10 set-up; I think the stickiness around the filler cog is what the other reviewer picked up on. I’m used to the slight hesitation on the big jump up to the 42t on my GX, so can live with that – however, the closer ratios across the cassette does appeal.

br
    Free Member

Last month I went from a Hope expander 1×10 (using Zee and no On-Up) to XT 1×11.

It just works, as it should, unlike the 1×10 the ‘complained’ in the expander gear and struggled with the 11t cog. Also put an Oval ring on too, like it.

Only downside is the boat-anchor weight of the XT cassette.

ferrals
    Free Member

Only downside is the boat-anchor weight of the XT cassette.

depends on what you are comparing it too. IIRC i worked it out and the weight difference between the xt 11sp cassette and a Sram 10sp cassette with the expander was something like 30g. Yes its no xx1 but its cheap.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have gone from 1×10 with a SSC 40t expander to XT 1×11 with the 11-42t cassette.

I’ve had bother with the chainline, not helped by having a pressfit BB.

Think I’ve sussed it now but if I was doing it again I’d either pony up the extra for the XT chainset too (I’m using an old SLX with a new N/W ring) or I’d just stick with 1×10.

I never noticed the funny gap from the missing 17t cog myself and shifting was great.

bowglie

Good to know about how the weight of the XT compares to a converted 10sp cassette – I guess this is where GX scores.

Hmmmm..also good to know about potential chainline issues, as the bike I’ll be putting it on also has pressfit BB (…..bl***y awful things). The 30t OneUp ring I’ve got has built in spacer tabs, that supposedly shove the chainline inboard by a couple of mm- Will keep fingers crossed this’ll work, as I don’t want to end up having to get a new chainset.

daver27
    Free Member

1×10 XTR to 1×11 XTR here. again i had the same stickiness around the 16t filler and it was never smooth at low RPM changing to the expander.

1×11 is way better and XT is so much cheaper than anything else out there and (imo) way better at shifting than anything SRAM has ever developed. its not far off the cost of a new 1×10 setup to buy the xt cassette, shifter and mech.
    Can’t see why anyone would bother with expanders now thats freely available.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

what happens if you already have 1 x 10 but its wearing out. is it worth it for xt 11 speed but with no additional range? my 1 x 10 with expander has by in large been perfect, but i cant really see a big advantage in 1 x 11 XT

chakaping
    Free Member

be aware people have also had issues using part-worn N/W rings with new XT 11sp stuff

bowglie

be aware people have also had issues using part-worn N/W rings with new XT 11sp stuff

Thanks for the info. There’s more to this than meets the eye eh?! In my case, luckily I have an unused N/W ring, but I can see how having to replace an existing ring could be a PIA.

gelert
    Free Member

It’s the boat anchor weight of the new XT 11sp Cassette that’s stopping me. Prices of the M8000 parts have already come down significantly. Saw it at £50 this morning for the cassette which is only £20 more than 10sp XT cassettes.

I’m figuring if I’m only occasionally suffering on very long rides with 32T with 11-36 XT 10sp and I “upgrade” to XT 11sp I’ll have added overall weight to my bike and therefore I’ll have created an absolute need to have the 40/42T rear cog – defeating the object of gaining an extra gear for those long days when I feel I could do with one.

The SRAM GX 11sp cassette is 10sp XT weight.

If I went SRAM though cost wise it would be better to pick up a 10sp XTR cassette and remove weight from my bike…

May as well just keep working on the fitness. Might keep an eye on the XTR cassette price in case it drops a bit.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Xtr 11 speed shifter has been working flawlessly with 11 speed XT mech 32 Race face NW and Xtr 11 spped chain smooth all of the time xt 11-42 cassette. Looks huge 🙂

bowglie

Looks huge

Jeffus, maybe its the way you’re sitting! :))

Know what you mean with the 42t cassette though;) On my way back the other day, I stopped for a brew at a café that’s popular with old skool roadies and tourers – and the GX cassette was getting some quizzical looks (one of them was asking me about it for his touring bike).

iffoverload
    Free Member

sunrace do a 11-42/40 with 10 speed spacing

about 390g

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I was looking but couldn’t find anywhere with the Sunrace 11-40 casette .

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have 1×10 on the 29er (40t expander, 16t added and a RADr cage)

and 1×11 on the 27.5 (11-42 XT)

Not much in it really. 1×11 is slightly quicker and slicker to shift but also slightly more sensitive to a perfect setup.

That Sunrace looks good.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ps. I had a 11spd XTR mech for a while but the clutch fell apart and the whole lot went sloppy in no time. Not impressed. Now on an XT which is fine.

cookeaa

Another ‘bodged’ 1×10 setup here, 11-40 with 32t chairing (plus a 16t)… Using a Superstar expander and chainring to keep it cheap…

Personally I am viewing it as a “try before you buy” type thing, see how I like having almost the same range as M8000 with some slight jumps before I go and commit to a whole new drivetrain…

My extended trial could last a while, and I will probably be keeping half an eye out for shimano trickling 11 speed down the groupsets over the next year or so, a mixed XT/SLX/ZEE drive might help make 1×11 slighty more affordable still by next summer maybe?…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Triton Cycles have the Sunrace listed…

Jeffus
    Free Member

I find the ratios on my 11-42 with a 32 pretty perfect for my local trails the ratio change is just right 26″ wheels Orange Alpine.

whyme
    Free Member

What is the shifting like on the sunrace? Also what is the durability like? Are the bigger sprockets alloy?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Thanks reggie

iffoverload
    Free Member

reggie beat me to it! 🙂

shifting is fine, shift ramps and tooth profiling look similar to the other offerings from the big S’s

feels stiffer too i think

i’m using a saint with a radr cage, good chain wrap without having to wind the b tension out to get clearance,

the 40/42t is 7075 the rest is steel, there is also a steel version with alloy carrier that is a bit heavier and a bit cheaper

the black colour wears off pretty quick but I dont expect the actual steel to wear out for ages, the 42 does not get a huge amount of use and has plenty of teeth taking the wear so should be fine for a good while I hope.

bowglie

Just in case there are any other weight obsessed nutters like me who are interested in this c**p, I’ve just weighed my new XT 11-42 cassette – according to my digital kitchen scales it’s 434g (FWIR, my GX cassette weighed 390g).

er…I guess the weight difference would have been irrelevant on today’s ride, as I reckon I’ve just washed about half a kilo of mud off my bike and kit!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT 1×11 vs 1×10 (OneUp)?’ is closed to new replies.