Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Forks – Option Paralysis ;-(
  • maxtorque

Ok, i’m trying to buy some new forks, min 140mm, max 160mm travel. You wouldn think it wouldn’t be that hard, but every single person i speak to recommends a different brand/model for different and generally conflicting reasons, DOH!!

Even speaking to the experts like Mojo or TF tuned has left me even more confused.

What to do? What i do know:

1) QR15 axle please
    2) ~2kg max please
    3) Tapered steerer
    4) primerarily Black in colour if at all possible

So, is it actually possible to get a consensus on such things, or shall i just go with the Forks i like the look of and hope they are ok?? 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Fox Float 34s?

althepal

150 Revelations? Not au fair with 2013 range though..

Rickos
    Free Member

Revelations. Easy to look after, good reliability and work very well. Can’t ask for more really.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Actually looks like you need the TALIS if you really want black. The 24 TALAS are just over 2kg but you could have 32 TALAS to save about 250g and have a much flexier fork.

It looks like you should be able to get some Rock Shox Revelation Solo Air or Dual Position Air in black and a 15mm Maxle.

What bike is it for and what type of riding?

leffeboy

Whatever’s on special offer?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Don’t mind me, should have read the op properly…

maxtorque

For a 2012 Zesty, replacing the 140 Float RL that’s currently on there.

I like the damping on the current fork, i just don’t like the way i can’t get it to use all it’s travel. (2013 FOXes are mean’t to be more linear??)

I’ve looked at TALAS 34mm 160’s, but two things put me off:
    1) looks like they are all CTD now (rather than seperate adjusters, which may be limiting (early reviews seem to think this)
    2) Two people have said the TALAS forks haven’t as good damping control as the FLOATS

I have no idea if any of that is true or how relevant/important it really is!

maxtorque

Should have added, i find the current 32’s a bit too flexi !

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would have thought that the 34s have a bigger air chamber than the 32s. Also I can’t see how the TALAS damping is worse that on the Float, it is the same cartridge. It might be the spring characteristics of the TALAS cartridge, new ones only have 2 positions so that might improve matters.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I am running dual air revs pushed and all the bits and bobs. My nest set of forks will be coil sprung units with decent damping as I plain hate air forks so probably Marazocchi’s for me, fit and pretty much forget….

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

OP check your current forks for the oil bath migration issue; search on here and mtbr forums.

There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to use full travel on them if they’re set up correctly.

maxtorque

I will have the current forks serviced when they come off, but they are already kind of earmarked for my long travel HT build……………… 😉

People seem to love their Marazocchi’s, but i’m not sure how they sit in terms of weight and axle spec for my bike (i think they might be a bit too much fork for the bike)

chestrockwell

Have a look at DT Swiss. I love mine and have had both Fox Float’s, Talas and RS Revs in the past.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Forks – Option Paralysis ;-(’ is closed to new replies.