Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Commuting with work shirts in a bag – wrinkle free solution needed
  • hmanchester
    Free Member

I cycle in to work, but the one pain is having wrinkle free shirts.

At the moment I’m taking in two weeks of shirts once every two weeks by car, and then having them in a suit carrier in a small locker. Towards the end of the two weeks I’m looking a little disheveled…

I’ve seen one of these Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder things.

Does anyone have one of the above, or any other solution for taking shirts in in your commuting bag? I’ve tried the rolling thing, but they still go a bit crinkly for what I need.

nedrapier

I fold mine last thing before I leave and stick them in a plastic bag in my ruck sack or carradice seatbag, I’ve got a 25 min ride, and there are a couple of creases when I first put it on, but they drop out in 10, 15 minutes.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve a shirt shuttle which does the job. It’s quite big and bulky if you’re only got a small bag.

colournoise

I roll rather than fold.

slainte 🙂 rob

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’ve tried the fold and be careful method, but still get very noticeable creases. I wear plain but quite thick cotton shirts which I don’t think helps…..

hmanchester
    Free Member

Just Googled the shirt shuttle. Looks like a good idea but not the best for bigger shirts (44 inch chest, 35 inch arms) from the reviews on Amazon – which also aren’t the most +ve….

Militant_biker

Happy with a Shirt Shuttle here, but I am a skinny runt.

Onzadog
    Free Member

CT non iron shirts. Any creases dropped out after you warm them up with body heat.

whatgoesup

I’ve used the Eagle Creek pack for about 5 years now, both on a 10 mile road commute and now on a ~45 minute offroad commute, and it works very well, after 15 mins wearing all noticable creases are gone (just don’t pack shirts into it straight after ironing them – then the creases get “set”).

I tried upgrading to a shirt shuttle and didn’t get on with it (more creases and it’s a lot more bulky) – must get around to selling it.

<edit> just saw the comment above about the shirt shuttle not being so good for larger shirts which ties up with what I found (6’1″).

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’ve already got a few hundred quid of shirts, so not an option I’m looking at I’m afraid.

Also as much as the creases dropping out of non iron shirts, they never exactly look pressed and sharp.

rugbydick

+1 for rolling rather than folding.

DT78
    Free Member

I use the eagle creek pack-it. Take 5 shirts in on monday, hang them in locker. Creases are noticable if you don’t hang them before wear. I have to wedge into a rucksack so may have even better results with a courier bag or panniers

molgrips
    Free Member

I have an eagle creek thing.

However the best investment I made was in Lewin’s non-iron shirts. The key difference seems to be a very fine twill fabric which doesn’t hold onto creases. I never iron them, I pack them in a folder, and they do get creased but they don’t get the fine wrinkles that other shirts do which is why I can put them on and they look fine.

If you are wanting clothes to look pressed and sharp after being packed away you’re asking for the moon on a stick I reckon.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Yeah, I know I want the moon on a stick, but I’ll take the best potential option if it works well!

Eagle creek it is then in a courier bag so it can stay flat.

Thanks chaps. Internet forum advice at its best.

acsevens

+1 for Charles Thyrwhitt non iron – work really well. usually do 4 for £100.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Roll them, job done.

Ideally hang them up in the shower cubicle before you have a shower @ work then any creases will drop out

garage-dweller

Do you work near somewhere that does a shirt cleaning and pressing service? Take a batch in on Friday to colect Monday for the following week? Might be a bit pricey but if you own a few hundred quid of shirts and need to look that smart it might be in your budget / tolerable.

ski
    Free Member

Roll 5 shirts on a monday commute, roll 5 dirty shirts on a Friday 😉

I find if you roll a number of shirts together, they seem to crease less.

samuri
    Free Member

Roll with other clothes always works for me.
    So since I take a clean cycliing shirt and shorts in with me, I’ll lay the cycling shirt on the floor, put the clean shirt on top of that, then my shorts on top of that, fold the arms along the creases, put my undies and socks in the middle and then roll it up tightly. Into a carrier bag and sellotape the bag around the roll. Always come out looking ironed.

edhornby

roll them

tip is to roll them around the pants and socks starting at the cuff/tail end

hh45
    Free Member

I fold mine last thing before I leave and stick them in a plastic bag in my ruck sack or carradice seatbag, I’ve got a 25 min ride, and there are a couple of creases when I first put it on, but they drop out in 10, 15 minutes.

Ditto except I use a courier bag. I have never had any gip about poor;y ironed shirts and I work in a fairly smart environment. Noone’s shirts look perfect after an hour or two and what happens to people using the tube or sat in some car – creased to bits I think.

TheWrongTrousers

Another vote for the roll instead of fold method

DrP

The eagle creek was the best option for me getting my clothes into work too….that was with a messenger bag, and about 4 shirts in it…

DrP

drofluf
    Free Member

Seems like you’ve decided but the Eagle Creek plus ourier bag combination works for me.

drofluf
    Free Member

Double post 😳

robbo
    Free Member

Really how much more creased are your shirts after folding/rolling than being worn in a car or on a train. Under a jacket who can tell anyway. If you fold like new your shirts will look box fresh as if you just bought it after a night out! Wear your creases with pride.

Stoner
    Free Member

another roll rather than fold, and CT iron free shirts.
    Been doing it like that for over ten years. No problems.

flashes
    Free Member

I too use the 5 shirt rolled together method and I’m too sexy for my shirts………..

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure I follow why you’re looking dishevelled near the end of two weeks if you drove in with two weeks worth and hung them up?
    Anyway, roll and maybe even take a steamer thing in to help get any creases out.

dantsw13

Hanging them in a steamy shower for 5 mins when you get to work will do the job.

IHN

I fold them (properly, like how shirts come in packets) and put them in a laptop sleeve bought for about a tenner in TKMaxx. Even works when the laptop’s in there too.

scruff
    Free Member

You lot can afford £100 for 4 shirts and have steamy showers at work, where do you work- Fantasia ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loose fold at the top of the pannier, good enough for me.

Maltloaf

Shower on and hang the shirt up whilst showering. Does the trick with my m&s shirts.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSOms0bQ4Y[/video]

adyp
    Free Member

Or, looking at the problem from the other way round, why not keep an iron and board at work and give them a quick once-over before putting them on?

molgrips
    Free Member

If anyone’s wondering about how I keep my trousers looking so smooth and fresh, well they are John Lewis budget suit trousers which I think represent a miracle of fabric engineering.

I’ve left them in a pile, folded them in bags driven hours in them and creases always just drop out in minutes. Incredible.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I do a last minute iron of the shirt and then fold it neatly and stick it on top of stuff that’s in my Carradice saddle bag, this works pretty well for me

fr0sty
    Free Member

I go nude

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Commuting with work shirts in a bag – wrinkle free solution needed’ is closed to new replies.