Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New forks, fitting questions
  • dharmstrong
    Free Member

Due to a “common fault” on my Rebas I will upgrade “early” to some Fox floats. Have never fitted forks before. Is it as easy as removing old ones and slotting new ones in? And I don’t want to cut the steerer tube straight away, can you run the stem below the top of the steerer or will I die?

wwaswas

you need to have enough spacers above stem to allow you to tighten the SFN bolt and preload the headset bearings but running a couple of inches of steerer off the top of the stem isn’t a problem in it’s own right unless you land chest first on it…

you’ll also need to swap the crown race across and fit an SFN to the new fork.

obviously front caliper will need adjusting on new for to stop disc rub.

jamesco

Shit, I’ve been dead awhile , didnt realise low bars caused premature rigor mortis, just joshing mate, when you get your plumbers pipe cutter I’d like to borrow it please.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Is it easy to fit a new SFN? Or do I need headset tools?

wwaswas

put the bolt in to the sfn, hammer on bolt head to get it in.

can be tricky to get them straight and when you remove spacers and cut steerer you’ll need to hammer it in further, too.

easiest is to go for a bung type thing as they’re easy to use but cost.

dharmstrong
    Free Member
    rocketman
    Free Member

No need for a sfn. Assemble the stem and spacers on the steerer, press down firmly on the frame and the stem to take out any play in the headset and tighten the stem

br
    Free Member

Due to a “common fault” on my Rebas I will upgrade “early” to some Fox floats.

What fault would that be?

And if you are really unsure how to fit forks, maybe pay your LBS to do it this time, and watch?

z1ppy

Due to a “common fault” on my Rebas I will upgrade “early” to some Fox float

Personnally I’d get the common fault fixed rather than downgrade 😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

I agree with Zippy and what is this “common fault” with Rebas?

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yeah not heard of this common fault? I’ll have em this way if your getting rid. 😉

dharmstrong
    Free Member

The “common fault” is the compression dial failing and having no effect on the lockout, the gate dial moves with it as well. Seeing if I can get them warranty’d. But they are 120mm rebas and want 140mm shocks which I was planning on buying in the summer, so an early purchase has been made.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New forks, fitting questions’ is closed to new replies.